Yasiel Puig

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Should LA Dodgers Rookie outfielder Yasiel Puig make the 2013 NL All Star Team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
Too lazy to pull up stats right now, but he just faced San Diego for the second time. Didn't do nearly as much damage as the first meeting. Teams will start getting video on him and pitch around him more. I think a player should have a minimum number of at bats before they are eligible to get on the all star ballot. It's the same as having min. At bats before they get on the batting avg list. With that said, I think he makes because he is good for the game of baseball. He brings excitement and that draws fans which equals $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mar 21, 2009
i don't think he should make the team this year, but i think we will be hearing a lot about him for a long time. he's the real deal.
fuck the dodgers and fuck matt kemp thinking that was a great play. i will give it to him tho, angel pagan runs 37 feet in and misplays the ball and it's over his head. but that is an average center fielder play

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Puig Mania has taken over at Dodger Stadium, but Giants manager Bruce Bochy has no plans to bring it to New York. Bochy, the National League manager in the All-Star Game, said he would not pick electric Dodgers rookie Yasiel Puig at the moment. Puig entered Wednesday night’s series finale with seven homers in his first 21 career games.

He then went out and had three more hits, finishing 6 for 12 in his first look at the rival Giants and raising his average to .435. Puig has 13 multi-hit games in his first 22, the second-highest mark in MLB history, and there is a strong national push to have the phenom in the All-Star Game.

“The kid has done an unbelievable job since he came up and is a great talent,” Bochy said. “But it’s a small sample size at this point. It would be hard to leave somebody off who has done it the whole half. I look at it as picking guys who had the best half, not what they did last year or for two to three weeks.”

All-Stars are announced on July 6, and Bochy said he might change his mind about Puig before then. He also suggested that MLB could make a rule change in the future, adding a spot for a particularly exciting or intriguing young player who might not make it otherwise. He also pointed out that Puig could be put on the final vote ballot and voted in by fans in the week before the game.

Bochy wouldn’t mind if MLB would take the pr

Props: T-Rip
Apr 25, 2002
If he plays the way he plays now all the way up to the All Star break he deserves to go. He's a great hitter he needs some improvement on his base running and on judging balls in the outfield but for his age and his experience he is one of the best young players out there.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Puig's All-Star Candidacy A 'Joke'
Phillies pitcher Jonathan Papelbon said it would be a "joke" to put Yasiel Puig on the NL

Yasiel Puig is garnering serious All-Star consideration thanks to an outstanding month that has helped turn around the Los Angeles Dodgers' season.

“

Papelbon The guy's got a month, I don't even think he's got a month in the big leagues. Just comparing him to this and that, and saying he's going to make the All-Star team, that's a joke to me.
” -- Jonathan Papelbon on Yasiel Puig's All-Star candidacy

But Jonathan Papelbon, for one, apparently thinks including Puig on the National League All-Star team would be a big mistake.

"To me, it's an absolute joke," Papelbon told MLB Network Radio when asked about Puig's All-Star candidacy. "It's really kind of stupid if you ask me."

The 22-year-old Puig has taken the majors by storm since debuting with the Dodgers on June 2, batting .443 with eight home runs and 17 RBIs in 27 games, including three more hits and a home run on Tuesday.

The Dodgers have gone 16-11 since Puig's arrival, rebounding from a rough start to climb back into contention in the NL West.

But Papelbon, who reportedly struggled to pronounce Puig's name correctly during his interview with MLB Network Radio, believes that the Cuban outfielder has not played in the majors long enough to warrant an All-Star spot.

"The guy's got a month, I don't even think he's got a month in the big leagues," Papelbon said during the interview. "Just comparing him to this and that, and saying he's going to make the All-Star team, that's a joke to me.

More From ESPN.com

Pitchers will adjust to Yasiel Puig, who will have to make his own adjustments to keep up his historic pace, writes David Schoenfield. Blog

• Stats & Info: Puig's place in history
• Cockcroft: Puig's fantasy forecast
• Radio: Mattingly talks Puig
• Vote: Agree with Papelbon?

"It's just really what happens in baseball when … to me it really does an injustice to the veteran players that have been in the game for eight-, nine-, 10-plus years. It kind of does them an injustice because they've worked so hard to stay there."

A nine-year veteran and five-time All-Star, Papelbon has a 2.05 ERA and 15 saves this season. The Philadelphia Phillies closer did not pitch against the Dodgers this past weekend, when Puig went 7-for-16 and scored five runs in the four-game series.

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Wednesday that he is "not sure" whether Puig should play in the All-Star Game.

"Every day he does something unbelievable," Mattingly said during an interview with ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd on "The Herd.

"He's making more and more of a case that he's a guy who should at least be looked at. I still think you have to earn that berth. But he's shown if he had been up earlier, he would have been a guy that everyone would have been talking about that would have been up there for sure."

Mattingly actually has more of an issue with the All-Star Game deciding home-field advantage in the World Series. He believes if the All-Star Game was nothing more than an exhibition, it would be easier to include a player like Puig.

"For me, the All-Star Game should go back to being an exhibition so it can be something where we could have some of the best players and If something magical is going on like Yasiel Puig, you put him in it," Mattingly said. "But the problem is they say this game matters, and it changes who gets home-field advantage in the World Series -- and to me, I don't like that."

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I'd have to say yes.

What were Bryce Harpers stats last year before he got into the ASG?

I am thinking Puig is doing better than that right now.
in his first 20 games, he had more hr's and rbi's than Harper and Trout combined. He was also the first player ever to win the NL player of the month in his first month in the bigs if I'm not mistaken.