Xbox console ban is "permanent"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
By Jonathan Fildes
Technology reporter, BBC News

Thousands of Xbox 360 owners who have been cut off from Microsoft's Xbox Live service will have to buy a new console if they want to play online again.

Microsoft told BBC News that banned machines will be permanently barred and "unable to connect to Xbox Live".

A message displayed on affected consoles said there was "no recourse for terms of use violations".

Microsoft has barred as many as 1m gamers from Xbox live for modifying their consoles to play pirated games.

"Users of banned Xbox consoles can recover their profile to another, unmodified Xbox 360 console to resume their Live service," the firm told BBC News.

"The banned console will be unable to connect to Xbox Live."

However, modified consoles will still work offline.

'No recourse'

Microsoft said barring gamers was part of an ongoing drive to curb piracy.

But a statement from them suggests this latest wave was timed to prevent people from playing pirated versions of the widely-anticipated Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

"We can assure you that if an Xbox Live member follows the Xbox Live terms of use, purchased a retail copy of Modern Warfare 2 and played the game on an unmodified Xbox 360, no action will be taken," the firm said.

Microsoft said that it had banned a "small percentage" of the 20 million Xbox Live users worldwide.

Many gamers modify their consoles by installing new chips or software that allows them to run unofficial - but not always illegal - programs and games.

Some BBC News website readers claimed that they had "modded" their consoles to allow them to make back-ups of games that they had already bought.

"Discs are very fragile things and some users like to have their games backed up," said Donald Glass of Aberdeen.

"After all you will have paid £40 for a new disc. It is my opinion that once you buy a disc you should be allowed to do whatever you want with the media as long as you do not break copyright laws."

Microsoft has not said how it was able to determine which gamers to disconnect.

"We do not reveal specifics, but can say that all consoles have been verified to have violated the terms of use," the firm said in a statement.

It said that gamers who had been barred were using their modified consoles to "play illegally pirated games".

"We believe that even one modified console on the system is one too many".

Industry figures suggest that piracy may cost the video game industry as much as £750m a year.

Reports have speculated that new "mods" could soon be on the market that allow gamers to get round the blocks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8356621.stm

Jan 5, 2006
It's been permanent lol. You think they'd let a modded console get unbanned?

My understanding is.... these are people who were flagged as far back as a year or two, and when they decide to ban those people are in line to get banned when Microsoft decides to have a ban wave. Usually they know also if you play games before theyre out, burn bad games with missing files, and if you have an old or bad firmware. And i'm told there's a nand chip inside that records everything, so once u go online and it verifies it'll auto ban u.

May 21, 2008
they can even catch you if your offline so yeah theres no goin around it, hence me being one of the banned ones haha but its koo im trading my modded banned one for a fresh xbox straight across and ill be back on killin foos on Modern Warfare 2

BEAR

Sicc OG
Dec 15, 2007
I got banned!

:ermm:

But now that I have no multiplayer to play, I'll be forced to resort to my burned games. Plus now I have no reason to pay for Live (obviously) and I can't buy arcade games.

Thank you Microsoft for removing any chance of me giving you money.

:knockout:

Edit:
To clarify, I did a flash mod about a month ago. I played burned copies of Street Fighter 4, Left 4 Dead, Halo 3 ODST, and Madden 10 - no online. I was signed in to XBL though.

Jun 22, 2007
i got banned today, they're slowly gettin to everybody who has a modded xbox, they got me and i havent even been playin burned games for a few weeks

Jan 23, 2006
havent been online since this shit started, last thing i did was update my dashboard and sign out, havent officialy been banned but i prolly am, who knows. sucks cuz i got the duty and left for dead 2. but ima wait for that new ixtreme lite touch firmware to come out before i try again

C4Eva announced he's working on a new firmware on IRC:
"[c4eva] new fw in dev/test - ixtreme LT (Lite Touch) - more efficient , minimal patching , all aspects of fw indistinguisable from orig, no more bans, No ETA!"

We do not have more details atm.
As far as we know the 3 'test boxes' C4Eva has running (see here) are still fine (not banned).
So there's NO ETA for the firmware yet (dont ask) but it should come out for Lite-On drives first.

News-Source: #fw@EFNet

Nov 14, 2002
I just thought I'd mention in this thread that even though my FOURTH Xbox appears at first glance to be working just fine, if I attach my HD I get a E 68 error message. Sooooooo.... even when your Xbox doesn't fuck up your hd does. Of course I can't be compensated for all the time I had in saved games on that piece of shit.

I'm selling my fucking Xbox and getting a PS3.

May 3, 2002
My modded box got banned and i didn't even play a copy of MW2. Maybe it was from Forza or something else i played that was recently released . I wasn't really trippin until i heard that even if you play the burnt games offline, and get achievements and what not. If u put ur hard drive back on a legit non modded box. They won't show up and says ur HD game saves are corrupt or something. Oh well, guess it was fun while it lasted. I got legit MW2 to keep me satisfied for a long time.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
I got banned!

:ermm:

But now that I have no multiplayer to play, I'll be forced to resort to my burned games. Plus now I have no reason to pay for Live (obviously) and I can't buy arcade games.

Thank you Microsoft for removing any chance of me giving you money.

:knockout:

Edit:
To clarify, I did a flash mod about a month ago. I played burned copies of Street Fighter 4, Left 4 Dead, Halo 3 ODST, and Madden 10 - no online. I was signed in to XBL though.

Doesnt sound like u gave them any money anyway. :cheeky: