wrestling then and now

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 17, 2004
The 80's were also totally different times. Heros and shit were a lot more appreciated and liked.
while everything mentioned contributes, i think ^^that might be the big factor to consider. like someone else said earlier, they seem to be trying to ride the reality tv style of production wave now cause thats whats in at the moment. if they started airing saturday morning superstars today, the kids today would probably think its super lame and corny. brother love, the bushwackers...corny?!? gimmicks were so much more colorful then, but maybe that wouldnt fly anymore.

my question was though, what is it that the old guys are complaining about? you listen to a shoot with guys like roddy piper or whoever and they seem to suggest that todays young wrestlers just dont get it. i get what theyre saying that a lot of the young guys today get pushed without having went through much hard knocks, or they are originally actors or something and dont have that genuine knowledge and passion for the business, but at the end of the day i feel like with a couple years of training much of these young wrestlers can put on a more entertaining wrestling match than piper ever did. they maybe wont ever touch him on the mic, but as far as wrestling goes, theyre more athletic, agile, creative, etc. so whats the problem? that they havent been banged around long enough to the point of drug addiction?

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
They don't have the heart and dedication or the nuts like the older wrestlers do. Imo. And I think that's what pipers tries to get across. Razor ramon? Scott hall made that shit up. Its like they were inventive, cared more about their craft. Also u gotta understand they don't get respect from the older guys because the older guys had to bust their asses for YEARS before they even got to the wwf.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Yo Rasan, I felt the same way about the Punk angle at first... But I'm starting to think that he's in a spot where he's going to be king shit a few PPV's down the line. I'm sure the HHH/Nash/McMahon etc. story is going to be going on for a while... I'm sure they have a direction for Punk.
I hope you are right bro.

And ungodd? Awww why do u hate it?!
Cena stands up for what's right, is a role model to kids, and the company is centered around him. I don't see why u don't see the comparison to hogan. Hogan wasn't the greatest wrestler and neither is cena.

Apr 26, 2002
www.myspace.com
wrestling is very different 15 to 20 years ago too today, now a days alot of fans are smart marks.... Back then wrestling wasn't as exposed. but as far as bad wrestlers go, Hulk Hogan is 1 of the worst wrestlers ever, but got to where he was cause of his size and promos and his gimmick was over but couldn't wrestle for shit.... Ultimate Warrior was another that couldn't wrestle or talk on the mic but the gimmick was over....

but now adays you have guys like cm punk, Rey, RVD got to the top cause of the fans having a respect for there in ring skills, when 15 to 20 years ago they all 3 would have been jobbers ( brought in and when they build up a heavyweight, they would have a squash match).....

and now adays guys like hogan and warrior that can't work, but has the size and they get chance after chance to make a gimmick, like Matt Morgan, The Great Khali, Chris Masters.... and evryone knows there in ring skills suck, so each has been with WWE and Let go a couple different times cause of no in ring skills and 15 or 20 years ago The Great Khali would've been on andre the giant's status and masters would've been on lex lugar's status and matt morgan on Sid Vicious Status....

so to sum it up.... 15 + years ago it was more about gimmicks and today it's more about in ring skills....

Mar 22, 2007
wrestling is very different 15 to 20 years ago too today, now a days alot of fans are smart marks.... Back then wrestling wasn't as exposed. but as far as bad wrestlers go, Hulk Hogan is 1 of the worst wrestlers ever, but got to where he was cause of his size and promos and his gimmick was over but couldn't wrestle for shit.... Ultimate Warrior was another that couldn't wrestle or talk on the mic but the gimmick was over....

but now adays you have guys like cm punk, Rey, RVD got to the top cause of the fans having a respect for there in ring skills, when 15 to 20 years ago they all 3 would have been jobbers ( brought in and when they build up a heavyweight, they would have a squash match).....

and now adays guys like hogan and warrior that can't work, but has the size and they get chance after chance to make a gimmick, like Matt Morgan, The Great Khali, Chris Masters.... and evryone knows there in ring skills suck, so each has been with WWE and Let go a couple different times cause of no in ring skills and 15 or 20 years ago The Great Khali would've been on andre the giant's status and masters would've been on lex lugar's status and matt morgan on Sid Vicious Status....

so to sum it up.... 15 + years ago it was more about gimmicks and today it's more about in ring skills....

WORD!

Feb 8, 2003
Theres no doubt the new guys bust they ass more in the ring now far as peformance bc now its more shock value. an the locker rooms are more calm when but back in the 90s and 80s it was hell and havok backstage and they didnt get no time off bc if they was wrestling then they was in headquarters doing interviews and promos all day till night. also another thing back in the days moves was 100% scripted where they will have a practiced routine and same opponent for couple months when now its a new opponent every week and its more freestyled when they just go out there and go.

IMO the thing that makes wrestling not as good now is they giving the wrong ones pushes and it seems unorganized and rushed i blame that on having ppv every month. If they would cut it like back in theday with 3 ppv a year or just do one every other month then shit would progress to the level it once was. think about something if they pushing cena(for example) then he should not be losing the title every month then regaining it and losing so many matches. noticed how they burying danielson. best thing they can do with cm punk is have him take ass whoopings by nash's group each week on raw but at the actual ppvs have him get wins.far as cena and alberto they shouldnt let cena beat alberto they should keep the belt on del rio atleast till the end of the year or royal rumble bc he starting to get over and putting on great wrestling matches (danielson, mysterio) plus they say Vince is happy with him.

Feb 8, 2003
MY PROBLEM WITH TODAYS WRESTLING IS THAT SOMEONE LIKE JOHN CENA CAN BE IN THE WWE FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS AND BE CHAMPION 10 TIMES.... THERE'S GREATS LIKE MR. PERFECT AND RICK RUDE WHO WERE NEVER HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...
Thats bc Hulk Hogan was selfish and wouldnt let them other guys get a tittle reign. somebody like Cena isnt selfish and he will drop the strap to new talent bc even though the writers write when cena gonna lose the belt cena still has enough star power that if he wanted to be selfish and not drop the belt he wouldnt have too. did you ever see that behind the scene documentary backin the 90s when they had the rock talking to mick foley and agreeing to drop the strap to him and vince was in the background.

Feb 8, 2003
my question was though, what is it that the old guys are complaining about?
bc they old, used and bitter now. not to mention Vince not giving them no more tv time. Alot jealous bc they busted they ass for years and someone like brock lesnar and sheamus comes in and wins world titles less then a year. The old guys shouldve had enough balls back in the day to pull hogans card and speak up.

Feb 8, 2003
Im still mad they fucked up Kane. He used to be unfadeable now hes a jobber at best. smh
True they did drop the ball on his character bc he used to be imperviouds to pain and now he gets dropped by rey mysterio. far as his look he had to cut his hair he was getting old and he into politics real heavy he sponsers campaigns with his money. i think they did the storyline with henry putting him out so he can spend vacation with his family. hopefully he will comeback with a new look or mask.

May 24, 2002
wrestling is very different 15 to 20 years ago too today, now a days alot of fans are smart marks.... Back then wrestling wasn't as exposed. but as far as bad wrestlers go, Hulk Hogan is 1 of the worst wrestlers ever, but got to where he was cause of his size and promos and his gimmick was over but couldn't wrestle for shit.
Not ture

not true at all

Apr 26, 2002
www.myspace.com
Not ture

not true at all
this match is a example of hogans work and this is when hogan was in his prime.... the worst paul london, american dragon & spanky match are better then this match and this is 1 of hogans better matches.

hogan just never liked to take no good bumps and never put anyone over really.... in the later year 1999 to now, he had to adjust and start taking some stuff. but hogan was always a very selffish worker, he never wated to get out shined in a match, that's why you never seen matches in the 80's & early 90's like steamboat vs hogan - Jake the snake vs hogan, bret hart vs hogan - i think the macho man vs hogan stuff was the best work for him in the wwf

Oct 3, 2006
this match is a example of hogans work and this is when hogan was in his prime.... the worst paul london, american dragon & spanky match are better then this match and this is 1 of hogans better matches.

hogan just never liked to take no good bumps and never put anyone over really.... in the later year 1999 to now, he had to adjust and start taking some stuff. but hogan was always a very selffish worker, he never wated to get out shined in a match, that's why you never seen matches in the 80's & early 90's like steamboat vs hogan - Jake the snake vs hogan, bret hart vs hogan - i think the macho man vs hogan stuff was the best work for him in the wwf
You still wrestling on the indy scene? Haven't seen u post in a while...

May 24, 2002
Yeah.....

This match is about a million times better.

Let me know if you want me to post more of hogan showing off his wrestling skill

Hogan vs Inoki

Apr 26, 2002
www.myspace.com
You still wrestling on the indy scene? Haven't seen u post in a while...
not that much anymore.... as i'm doing more of the executive producer stuff in the bay rap game..... i'm thinking about doing a match in the florida area in december.... but i'm dropping the It's Not a Gimmick Part 2 DVD and Northern California Gangsters & Thugs Vol. 2 in the fall.