Will Scientists be able to create life from scratch?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

????

• I don't know, never really thought about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 27, 2005
It's not sexual vs. asexual reproduction. Viruses "hijack" another organism's cells and uses them to produce their own DNA (viruses can't reproduce their own DNA). I feel that in order to truly be living, you have to be able to reproduce independently, sexually or asexually. It's just my opinion, like ThaG said, there's no consensus as to whether viruses are truly living or not.
I guess you could argue that they are not living in the sense that many other life forms are living. Yes, they are parasitic, but I dont see how that can mean they are not living. I don't mean to act like some type of authority because I'm definitely not versed in this sort of thing, but I don't see how they are not living. Do viruses occur in nature? Do they have a lifespan? If so, I would think that they in fact are living things.

May 15, 2002
I guess you could argue that they are not living in the sense that many other life forms are living. Yes, they are parasitic, but I dont see how that can mean they are not living. I don't mean to act like some type of authority because I'm definitely not versed in this sort of thing, but I don't see how they are not living. Do viruses occur in nature? Do they have a lifespan? If so, I would think that they in fact are living things.
If only a virus existed, it would not live because it would have no method of reproduction. I think life needs to be self-replicating because that ability is one of the things that distinguishes living things from non-living things.