Why use compression?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
My homeboy L-Train has been taking classes about audio engineering and the other day his teacher said something that kinda struck him and me both. He said: hip hop is the only genre of music that uses compression ALOT. He also said that most of the hip hop he hears today has too much compression. So this got me thinking. Why do we use compression? Shouldn't we just use a little bit and be using more vocal limitors? There is a difference, yes a compressor limits vocals, but you can limit vocals without compressing them. Too much compression looses the dynamics of the vocals from what I've read. So if anybody, D-Sane, wants to school me on compression, I would appreciate it.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
He said: hip hop is the only genre of music that uses compression ALOT.
not true. heavy metal uses a lot of compression.
He also said that most of the hip hop he hears today has too much compression.
a lot of music thats played on the radio is over compressed. thats because the station is doing it. as far as cd's are concerned it could be because so many people are in the competetion for a LOUD CD.
Why do we use compression? Shouldn't we just use a little bit and be using more vocal limitors?
A LIMITER IS A COMPRESSOR. USE WHATEVER WILL KEEP THE TRANSIETS/PEAKS IN CHECK.
yes a compressor limits vocals, but you can limit vocals without compressing them.
PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW YOU DO THIS.
Too much compression looses the dynamics of the vocals from what I've read.
TOO MUCH COMPRESSION WILL RUIN ANYTHING.

HEY ASK YOUR TEACHER A QUESTION FOR ME.

ASK HIM IF HE WOULD APPLY BUSS COMPRESSION TO A ROCK MIX THATS BEING DUMPED TO TAPE AT +6DB.

ASK HIM IF HE FEELS POP MUSIC IS OVER COMPRESSED.

:h:

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Compression and Vocal limiting always have me in a circle because they need to used accuratly to be really effective, if you make a tiny weeny little mistake you end up trashing your whole vocal mix.

Search around the net on compression, you will find lots of good information.

peace

Apr 26, 2002
I read an Article in One of the Recording Magazines (I subscribe to so many different ones) This one mastering engineer was talkin' about Compression. Everyone is competing to get the loudest Album. But he was sayin' that if you do that and turn it up(really Crank the volume), it loses the quality. But if you ease up on all that compression, it gives you dynamics. You turn it up as loud as you want and it can still sound good, it still has all the same colorfullness