WHY THE WEST COAST FELL OFF.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 17, 2003
RIGHT NOW EVERYONE BUT THE WEST COAST IS BUBBLIN'...I
FEEL IT HAS A LOT 2 DO WITH POLITICS & ALSO UNITY BUT BASICALLY THE BUSINESS HAS CHANGED A LOT BECUZ OF CROOKED DISTRIBUTORS LIKE BAYSIDE & OTHERS NOT SUPPORTING ARTISTS.INSTEAD THEY TRY 2 RIP OFF LABELS....I AM A BAYSIDE HATER BECUZ I ACTUALLY SERVED SOME JAILTIME JUST CUZ I WENT UP IN THERE SAVVIN OUT ABOUT THE MONEY THEY OWE ME.ALSO IF EVERYBODY KEEPS BURNIN CD'S EVERYBODY IS GOING 2 GET SMART & LEAVE THE GAME ALONE 4 A WHILE.I'VE SEEN QUITE A FEW DISTRIBUTORS FILE BANKRUPTCY SO THEY DON'T HAVE 2 PAY LABELS & IT SEEMS LIKE IT'S NOT GOING 2 STOP.....OH WELL,THE SAGA CONTINUES..IT'S JUST A SHAME CUZ
NORTHERN CALI RAPPERS USED 2 PUSH A LOT OF UNITS & THE MAJORS PROBABLY WANTED 2 DUMP SOME BREAD THIS WAY BUT THANKS 2 THIS INTERNET SHIT,SALES ARE LOW & EVERYBODY'S RAPPIN NOWDAYS....THE GAME AIN'T PURE NO MORE..WISH PAC WAS HERE 2 SAVE US

Apr 25, 2002
Tay: do your thing. With good artists its exposure helps them. Hopefully you get some. Cause if you do, you wont have to trip about the net.

Apr 25, 2002
I'm so sick of hearin' these supposedly oppressed rappers blame MTV, BET and other media outlets for their failures! Did it ever cross your mind that you might not be as hot as you think? Maybe you just ain't half the hustler you think you are. It's more likely that these cats are trying to be in a game that they just ain't suited for. The game ain't for everyone. Obviously.

The west coast fell off for several reasons and honestly, they're losin' right now because they earned it. You can't molest the game and think there won't be any reprocusions. You can't flood it and expect for people not to drown. It ain't some kind of anti-west conspiracy like some of you think and you can't blame the internet and bootlegging either because the west ain't been hot for years now.

It ain't 1993 anymore and cats need to let it go! It's almost funny that people are still trying to master a sound from 10 years ago when the rest of the world has moved on. While they're busy struggling to be a part of the past, theres a new generation of young talent thats building the future. Might as well dust off your suade puma's with the fat laces and your best pair of parachute pants (if they still fit) while you're at it!

If your team ain't winning, you gotta be smart enough to know when to change the players if you ever want to get a ring. The west needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Period. Cats are ready for new faces and a new sound.

If you cats want to talk about this subject then let's talk about it for real.

Oct 4, 2002
510outtapocket.com
^^ you are wrong man.. the opression is real, if you aint apart of a major label you aint gonna get no airplay man.. its that simple... we being forced to give in to the bigger power... buit it aint the bay way.... we gonna sell our own cd's.. fuck the big 5

Sep 28, 2002
my opinion:

its the radios fault, dey don't support west coast(probably cause we too hard) but it ain't like it was in the early 90s when ya could hear e40, mac dre, mac mall, get low, dru down, etc. maybe it has to do with some artist pushin a bunch of crap, repetitive beats, 20 track cds w/ 8 tite songs, and 50 foos on a track that can't rap for shit...with an except of bout 25 rappers...the rest should go back to their day jobs...i'm mostly speakin on the bay

another problem with the west coast gitting not love is cause the radio plays all dat east coast down south bullshit...most that mainstream shit is for succkas, buyin hoes expensive champage an some bling bling, what happen to A.O.B. or captain save a hoe... i don't know, i jus been listenin to rap since Run Dmc, Rakim, BPD, an Public Enemy, and rap really ain't the same, everybody wann be a gangsta with a bandana or a du rag...rap has changed...people think that jus cause, a rapper goes platinem, they think he/she could actually rap

Apr 25, 2002
@Fozzit

Okay.. So you think everyone is coming with the right product but they're just being 'hated on' because they ain't on a major label? Ever been to Atlanta? Miami? New York? There's a whole bunch of artists who arn't on major labels getting airplay in those cities. Of course support from radio will make things easier but regardless, radio doesn't have the final say on whether you make it or not.

FastLane/S::G

overly international
Sep 17, 2002
ATL SHAWTY
www.siccness.net
in my opinion, as music and an artform, we fell off.... west coast, east coast, south, it's all the same.... plenty artists out htere need to come anew and show potential and staying power, and not just be a flavor of the month, or be in it for fast money.... remember: fast money might be your last money, that rule just doesn't only apply to illicit activity, but to the music business also.

and naw, it's not the radio's fault.... it's the people who OWN the radio's fault.... at least here in the bay area.... before bitch ass clear channel communications came in the pic, folks had no problem with playin local shit on the airwaves.... now local shit can only get played on special sets and wut not.....

Apr 26, 2002
Bacc In Texas
BUT THANKS 2 THIS INTERNET SHIT,SALES ARE LOW & EVERYBODY'S RAPPIN NOWDAYS....THE GAME AIN'T PURE NO MORE..WISH PAC WAS HERE 2 SAVE US

THE INTERNET IS NOT A MAJOR FACTOR IN "LOW SALES" FOR AN ARTIST....IF YOU TIGHT THEN NIGGAZ GOING TO SUPPORT YOUR MUSICC IN MANY FORMS, BUYING YOUR ALBUMS, WORD OF MOUTH AND ETC.

AND YOU SHOULD CLARIFY WHO'S "SALES" ARE LOW...ARE YOU SPEAKING FOR YOURSELF OR IN GENERAL?
AND CUZZZ....THE GAME HASNT BEEN PURE FOR YEARSSSSSSSSS.
AND IF YOU WANT TO BE TECHNICAL ABOUT THE GAME BEING "PURE".........THE GAME HAS NEVER BEEN PURE.
SOME OF THE FOUNDING FATHERS OF THE RAP GAME ARE SWEEPING FLOORS FOR A BUCC.

WHY DO ARTIST(MAINLY WEST COAST) ALWAYS SCREAM "PAC" FOR HELP....?
IF YOU WAITING ON ANOTHER NIGGA TO SAVE YOU THEN YOU GOING TO BE WAITIN A LIFE TIME....
BE A MANN, TURN ON THE BRAINPOWER, GRAB YO NUTS, AND MAKES MOVES FOR YOURSELF AND BY YOURSELF.
BUILD YOUR OWN ROAD.
AT LEAST THATS MY MOTTO THAT I LIVE BY.

D-LOCC

Apr 26, 2002
Bacc In Texas
I'm so sick of hearin' these supposedly oppressed rappers blame MTV, BET and other media outlets for their failures! Did it ever cross your mind that you might not be as hot as you think? Maybe you just ain't half the hustler you think you are. It's more likely that these cats are trying to be in a game that they just ain't suited for. The game ain't for everyone. Obviously.

The west coast fell off for several reasons and honestly, they're losin' right now because they earned it. You can't molest the game and think there won't be any reprocusions. You can't flood it and expect for people not to drown. It ain't some kind of anti-west conspiracy like some of you think and you can't blame the internet and bootlegging either because the west ain't been hot for years now.

It ain't 1993 anymore and cats need to let it go! It's almost funny that people are still trying to master a sound from 10 years ago when the rest of the world has moved on. While they're busy struggling to be a part of the past, theres a new generation of young talent thats building the future. Might as well dust off your suade puma's with the fat laces and your best pair of parachute pants (if they still fit) while you're at it!

If your team ain't winning, you gotta be smart enough to know when to change the players if you ever want to get a ring. The west needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Period. Cats are ready for new faces and a new sound.

If you cats want to talk about this subject then let's talk about it for real.

THERE IS TRUTH IN HERE^^^^!!!

D-LOCC

Apr 26, 2002
Bacc In Texas
another problem with the west coast gitting not love is cause the radio plays all dat east coast down south bullshit...
NORTH SOUTH EAST WEST

THEY ALL HAVE SOME FORM OF BULLSHIT MUSICC!

I LIVE IN THE SOUTH AND SOMETIMES THEY PLAY WEST COAST BULLSHIT.............SO WHAT!

D-LOCC

Aug 15, 2002
The East will always be in power cause that's where the Big 5 are located, plus New York is the media capital of the world. It's not just in music, its everything. Watch any national news, its all about New York and the East Coast.

May 10, 2002
FOR YOU RETARDS THAT THINK IT AINT THE MEDIAS FAULT FOR THE WEST NOT GETTING ANY LOVE, WHY AINT THERE HARDLY ANYBODY FROM NORTHERN CALI IN THE SOURCE, WHY AINT HARDLY ANYONE FROM HERE ON RAP CITY, WHY IS MURDER DOG THE ONLY MAGAZINE THAT SHOWCASES OUR ARTISTS, WHENS THE LAST TIME YOU SEEN A BAY AREA ARTIST ON MTV BESIDES 40?????

YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR BULLSHIT THAT WERE TRYING TO MASTER THE SAME SOUND BEAT FROM 10 YEARS AGO, BUT WHAT KIND OF BEAT WOULD YOU RATHER LISTEN TO THAT EAST COAST AND DOWN SOUTH GARBAGE OR A TIGHT WEST COAST BEAT,

AND LOOK AT THE MAINSTREAM IT SEEMS LIKE YOU HAVE TO SELL OUT WORSE THEN EVER JUST TO GET RADIO PLAY, I MEAN ALWAYS SINGING ON THE CHORUS'S NOW, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO HARDCORE RAP ON THE MAINSTREAM LEVEL, ITS GONE AND MAY NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN!!!!

May 10, 2002
I FORGOT TO MENTION WHY YOU THINK ALL THESE WEST COAST ARTISTS ARE MAKING THESE MIXTAPES NOW, WERE SHOWING THEM WE CAN RAP OVER THEM EAST COAST BEATS AND ALL THE OTHER MAINSTREAM BEATS JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER!!!!

THE EAST JUST AINT READY FOR THE BAY AREA TO BLOW UP CUZ IT WILL BE TOTAL CHAOS WITH THE MEDIA AND EVERYONE ELSE CUZ OF EXPLICIT LYRICS AND POUNDING BEATS LOL AND THEY KNOW THEY DONT WANT THAT GANGSTA SHIT HEARD NATION WIDE!!!

Oct 4, 2002
510outtapocket.com
Sick Wid It said:
@Fozzit

Okay.. So you think everyone is coming with the right product but they're just being 'hated on' because they ain't on a major label? Ever been to Atlanta? Miami? New York? There's a whole bunch of artists who arn't on major labels getting airplay in those cities. Of course support from radio will make things easier but regardless, radio doesn't have the final say on whether you make it or not.
its not a case of being hated on .. its called Payola...... the majors give hella cash and free shit to radio stations.....

Jan 30, 2003
Its like this if you wanna sell records you gotta be in the streets in the citys doin shows networkin you cant just sit at your computer and get mad because your CD dont sell...How are you gonna do big numbers when people dont know who you are and aint ever heard your music... So blame yourself if your a washed up rapper because you gotta take your destiny in your own hands and make shit happen its the same story from Short to 40 they knew what they had to do and they went about it themselves you dont think they thought the same shit at one point they probably did and look at them now they aint complainin about not sellin records

And also only a hand full of rappers go plat or gold a year it always been like that but that doesnt mean the rest aint gettin money you gotta know your roll in the music and play it WE CANT ALL BE FUCKIN NELLY

Jun 30, 2002
artists need to spend more time on their albums... the game here in the bay is so saturated... us consumers have lost faith in the rappers because they put out albums every couple of months. Spend the time & money for producers. Stop trying to cut corners. Establish your name. Look at all the legends here in the bay. They have, for the most part come consisitent. They are not trying to push wack-ass comps with a bunch of names. P.S. Stop putting out comps unless you spend the time and $ on them because those are killing you... Just cuz you have big names doesn't mean people will buy the album... Stop being so impatient and good things will come your way eventually...

just my 2 cents...

Aug 27, 2002
www.westwayz.com
KILLA TAY said:
IT'S JUST A SHAME CUZ NORTHERN CALI RAPPERS USED 2 PUSH A LOT OF UNITS & THE MAJORS PROBABLY WANTED 2 DUMP SOME BREAD THIS WAY BUT THANKS 2 THIS INTERNET SHIT,SALES ARE LOW & EVERYBODY'S RAPPIN NOWDAYS....THE GAME AIN'T PURE NO MORE..WISH PAC WAS HERE 2 SAVE US
Aint that the truth!!!

Feb 17, 2003
I AM A VET OUT HERE IN THE STREETS & THE MUSIC BIZ...I KNOW EVERY RAPPER FROM 40 2 SHORT 2 WHOEVER,THEY AREN'T AS HAPPY AS YOU THINK THEY ARE....I STILL SAY IT'S LACK OF UNITY & THERE ARE WAY 2 MANY INDEPENDENTS..I STILL NETWORK ALL OVER THE COUNTRY..IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME.ALL THEM NEGATIVE
REMARKS DON'T PHASE ME I JUST THOUGHT THIS WAS A REAL TOPIC THAT NEEDED 2 BE ADDRESSED..MY NAME IS OUT THERE & I DEFINITELY HAVE PLENTY OF FANS..I JUST WANTED 2 SEE WHAT
Y'ALL THINK..I HAVE A LOT OF GOOD MUSIC BUT THE AVERAGE PERSON DOESN'T UNDERSTAND HOW THE MAJORS CONTROL THE
MARKETS AS FAR AS RADIO & TV..I'M NOT REALLY THE SUPERSTAR TYPE BUT I FEEL SOME OF MY HOMIES DESERVE MORE PUB AS FAR AS THE RADIO ETC...IT WOULD HELP BRING THE WEST BACC..THAT'S WHAT I WANT 2 SEE!