Why is there nothing do do in Portland

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 1, 2006
Oh yeah, and it always seemed to me that there is never shit to do here during the winter, but once May and June comes around there is always something cracking every weekend, usually too much because people are hibernating during the rainy shitty weather months.... There's nothing to do during January but save money for the summer, blow some trees with your friends (if they dont live more than a few blocks away), lay around with a lady (or three), and maybe read books. I almost panicked the other day tho' because there was no football on TV -- oh shit, I better find something else to do on Sundays!

Apr 25, 2002
Sketchy B said:
1) Remember that the way they calculate the metro area is kinda misleading -- they including all of Vancouver, WA and Clark county Washington, and ALL of Washington county including Hillsboro and Forest Grove.

2) Whats interesting to me though is that the black proportion of the Portland-Vancouver metro area is increasing even though gentrification is fucking over all the historically black neighborhoods in North and North-east Portland. Whats also crazy is that only 2.7% of Portland-Vancouver was black in 1990 but there were still stong historically black neighborhoods. Portland had aparthied going on for real.

Now the proportion of blacks in PDX/Couv is 3.6%, or about 56,000.

There are 3 times more hispanic and latinos in PDX/Couv than in 1990, and twice as many Asians. We are slowly getting less crackerish, but have a long way to go to make up for the first 125 years or so of Portland's history. I saw that last year Oregon passed Kansas on the list of 'least-honkified' states. That's right, we are now the 31st most diverse state in the nation.....

For y'all that live/lived in North and North-east during the past 15 years, what do you all think of whats going on -- all bad in that neighborhoods are being broken up and black businesses are shutting down, or is it somewhat good that neighborhoods are being integrated so there are better services and they cant consistantly shaft the majority black high schools anymore because there are more black kids in Gresham, Vancouver, etc.?

I personally cant stand seeing all the stupid white hipsters and yuppies on Alberta, Albina and Mississippi Aves. and and dont ever kick it there but I didn't grow up over there so I dont know what y'all think...
Good post.

1) Yeah they do calculate those MSAs to be pretty stretched out, Seattle's includes Tacoma (45 minute drive if your extremely lucky with traffic) and Bremerton (45 minute ferry ride), stretching all the way north to Everett. In rush hour, it would take you over 3 hours to drive from one side of the MSA to the other.

But they do that for good reason, b/c those outlying areas are still a part of the central city. People will come from Salem or Vancouver WA to go to MLB or NFL games in Portland. Hell, people come form Vancouver and Yakima to go to Mariners games. So in the context of pro sports, that 2.2 million number is relavent. Portland is way bigger than those other cities that keep coming up.

2) That point your trying to make about apartheid bears out statistically! The black Index of Dissimilarity in Portland was 63.6 in 1990, and that dropped to 55.2 in 2000. The Index of Dissimilarity is defined as the percentage of a given population that would have to move to equally distribute them across all Census Tracts in the city.

The same two numbers for Seattle were 65.6 (in 1990) and 60.2 (in 2000). Both cities are experiencing gentrificiation in their historically black neighborhoods, but the biggest reason you see more black people in Seattle is that we've got Tacoma as well as suburbs with relatively noticeable black populations. Renton, Federal Way, Burien, Seatac, Kent and Lakewood are all good examples, Portland doesn't really have that.

Neither Portland nor Seattle has ever had sizable neighborhoods that were 90-100% black like the East, South and Midwest. We're seeing neighborhoods that were 67-75% black in the 60s, 70s and 80s dropping down to 30-50% black.

Get all of the Index of Dissimilarity info here: http://enceladus.isr.umich.edu/race/choosearea.asp

Apr 25, 2002
Sketchy B said:
For y'all that live/lived in North and North-east during the past 15 years, what do you all think of whats going on -- all bad in that neighborhoods are being broken up and black businesses are shutting down, or is it somewhat good that neighborhoods are being integrated so there are better services and they cant consistantly shaft the majority black high schools anymore because there are more black kids in Gresham, Vancouver, etc.?

I personally cant stand seeing all the stupid white hipsters and yuppies on Alberta, Albina and Mississippi Aves. and and dont ever kick it there but I didn't grow up over there so I dont know what y'all think...
Awesomely fascinating question. I can see both sides of it, I don't think there's a correct answer. From talking to numerous people black and white, rich and poor, I feel pretty comfortable stating that black people would prefer the older, more segregated way. I don't think black people give a shit about segregation, I think they give a shit about equality. The old "Separate but Equal" law could still be standing today if it truly were separate but equal.

These days I'll be rolling up 23rd Ave in the Central District, the most historically significant black neighborhood in the entire Pacific Northwest, and after I roll by the Starbucks it'll be 10pm and they'll be middle-aged white women out walking their dogs! Garfield is now the 3rd LEAST economically disadvantaged High School in the entire SSD.

Apr 14, 2003
Sketchy B said:
Oh yeah, and it always seemed to me that there is never shit to do here during the winter, but once May and June comes around there is always something cracking every weekend, usually too much because people are hibernating during the rainy shitty weather months.... There's nothing to do during January but save money for the summer, blow some trees with your friends (if they dont live more than a few blocks away), lay around with a lady (or three), and maybe read books. I almost panicked the other day tho' because there was no football on TV -- oh shit, I better find something else to do on Sundays!

Same as in Spokane...hella weak

Jun 27, 2005
Sketchy B said:
Remember that the way they calculate the metro area is kinda misleading -- they including all of Vancouver, WA and Clark county Washington, and ALL of Washington county including Hillsboro and Forest Grove.

Multnomah County only has 700,000 people in it. Multnomah and Clackamas counties combined barely crack 1 million.

Whats interesting to me though is that the black proportion of the Portland-Vancouver metro area is increasing even though gentrification is fucking over all the historically black neighborhoods in North and North-east Portland. Whats also crazy is that only 2.7% of Portland-Vancouver was black in 1990 but there were still stong historically black neighborhoods. Portland had aparthied going on for real.

Now the proportion of blacks in PDX/Couv is 3.6%, or about 56,000.

There are 3 times more hispanic and latinos in PDX/Couv than in 1990, and twice as many Asians. We are slowly getting less crackerish, but have a long way to go to make up for the first 125 years or so of Portland's history. I saw that last year Oregon passed Kansas on the list of 'least-honkified' states. That's right, we are now the 31st most diverse state in the nation.....

Damn that's crazy. When I lived in the NE, white people were scared to be there.

Aug 14, 2003
THAT'S SIMILIAR TO SEATTLE. IN THE CENTRAL DISTRICT, IT'S STARTING TO BECOME MORE & MORE INTEGRATED. YOU'RE STARTING TO SEE A LOT MORE WHITE PEOPLE (NO DISRESPECT) OUT THERE. WHICH HAS BECAME A FIRST. IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THIS HAPPENS OUT HERE IN THE SOUTH END.

Mar 25, 2003
www.myspace.com
I am originally from seattle but have been living in the bay area for the past 9 months, for the past two weeks i have been out in portland consulting for a night club and a jewlery company. A couple of friends took me out so i could get a better idea for the city...and while i agree it's like a smaller version of seattle...there is still shit to do...I hit the city nightclub and that was crackin.....theres a great market out here for hip hop and the urban lifestyle, it's just a matter of finding it. As far as there not being enough things directed towards african americans, that might be cuz from what i've seen theres a large hispanic population

Apr 25, 2002
Southend_206 said:
THAT'S SIMILIAR TO SEATTLE. IN THE CENTRAL DISTRICT, IT'S STARTING TO BECOME MORE & MORE INTEGRATED. YOU'RE STARTING TO SEE A LOT MORE WHITE PEOPLE (NO DISRESPECT) OUT THERE. WHICH HAS BECAME A FIRST. IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THIS HAPPENS OUT HERE IN THE SOUTH END.
Yep, so where are all of the black people going? From what I understand, it's mainly Renton, Kent, Federal Way, Auburn, Tukwila, Burien, southend suburbs like that.

As for whether it's a good thing or not, I don't know, I'm a whiteboy from the north end so I'm not qualified to answer that question. I can see both sides of it. I can see why a larger house in a safer neighborhood sending your kid to Hazen HS is preferable to a smaller house in a scarier neighborhood sending your kid to Rainier Beach or Cleveland. But I can also see how it would be offensive if it's not a move by choice but rather from white hipsters taking over.

Southend I would be curious to know how you feel about it.

Aug 14, 2003
SORRY FOR THE LATE ASS REPLY. EVERYBODY IS MOVING OUT TO FED, KENT & RENTON HIGHLANDS. WHITES (AGAIN NO DISRESPECT) ARE BUYING THE PROPERTY OUT IN THE C.D. NOT SURE IF THEY'RE BUYING THE PROPERTY OR IF IT IS BY FORCE. I KIND OF HAVE MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT IT. I WENT TO RAINIER BEACH, AND I LIVED MINUTES AWAY FROM THERE. THE AREA IS NOT ALL THAT SCARY, IT'S JUST WHEN EVENTS HAPPEN, THINGS GET OUT OF CONTROL.

Feb 1, 2006
LISICKI said:
Look around you Portland is blowing up and expanding like a muthafucka
Absofuckin'lutely, and not to get all apocalyptic or anything, but right now AZ, NV, and Southern Cali is booming even harder, and there is just NO way that there is going to be enough water or energy down there to support all those people in the long term, so in 10 to 25 years a grip more people are going to be moving up here.

Feb 10, 2007
Rose_Red said:
Im sittin here thinkin about it and compared to other big cities we really aint got shit to do except blow tha best weed and shop wit no sales tax..and it makes me mad..fuck a lacrosse team we need an NFL and an MLB team Portlands population is rapidly growin...we neeed a better mall...we need more things in the city to be geared to african-american interests...fuck all these patties im tired of this shyt

2 further go into that shyt

Nike is made in oregon but yet we are the last ones to get all the new shoes...and we have no sales tax Portland should be the shopping mecca of the west coast..

Seattle is bigger but yall got alot of shyt to do it would only make the NW better as a whole.. jus had 2 get shyt off my head
yeah i agree 100%

i moved here from hayward, ca(bay area) due to my parents job trasfer, few years back. we were shocked at the cheap houses they have here and no sales tax. but once i moved up here i had a huge culture shock tho. we live in da burbs, but daym i remeber my first day of school here, when the mutha fuckin counsler put me in esl jus becuase i was brown! born n raised in northen califoolya u beezy waz wut i told her. got harrassed alot by school staff jus cause i dress urban! i graduated tho 05! but now i get harrassed more by the police, cause they c a young man of color, wit a fitted hat driving an impala ss!
anywayz yea portland got nike here, but its still hard to find exclusive forces and jordans here. i cant stand the malls here either...i live closer to clackamas and daym that mall is weak as fuck....dey dun even sell AF1,s there. and the demo store is closing there. lloyd center is the only mall that is jus ok....but its weak if compare it to a bay area mall.
im 20 so i cant judge any real clubs yet. but i have been to the zone and fx....and daym there are hella weak. i ask the dj @ zone to play sum hyphy shit and he laughed and me sayin dat he cant beacuse that music is too violent! but he played snoop dogg drop it like its hot 3 times...where he talks about crippin...and ppl were crip walkin in dere n shit...including da almighty abracombie boys! lol. but ill be 21 in 2 months...wuts the hottest club in portland? do they play any bay shit there?
but yea portland has the highest white population(75%), compare to other major citys with 500,000 or more ppl. with the metro area its probably like 85%white. and sports team...shit i dun even wanna get on dat. lol
1 more thing cuzzo, portland does have good weed....but i have smoked way better shit in da bay...we got canaibus clubs there, so my boy would hook me up wit sum og grandaddy purple.

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
more and more hippies, less and less niggas, esays, ect...

fuck portland...

too bad not enough niggas was wit me when i tryed to save our neighborhoods from bein taken.. no body believed me, or was too scared/lazy/broke to do anything

Feb 10, 2007
Toxsick said:
portland nice city but one of the most racist cities i've ever been too.
True that...i have noticed here that alot of the white folks here look down on the minorties and think that they are more superior...there is racism and discrimination eveywhere, but i have felt it way more in portland...

Races in Portland:

White Non-Hispanic (75.5%)
Hispanic (6.8%)
Black (6.6%)
Two or more races (4.1%)
Other race (3.5%)
American Indian (2.3%)
Vietnamese (2.0%)
Chinese (1.4%)
Other Asian (1.3%)
Filipino (0.5%)
Japanese (0.5%)
http://www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Oregon.html

Feb 1, 2006
N.Ill-state said:
I seen some shit about Portland the other day. Said they was like the skinhead capital, bout 10,000 skinheads live there or some shit.
That was very true in the late 80's and early 90's -- ugghhh, too much history to get into right now, but lets just say that anti-fascist skins, punks, and other roughnecks made it very physically unsafe for fascist skinheads to organize in Portland -- it was pretty much low-level urban combat. Now its pretty safe compared to 15 years ago. Almost all the rascist skinheads have to be underground and mostly in the suburbs. There are still hella anti-fascist skins around though but they are cool with black folks and listen to reggae, lol.... There are even several people of color I know in skinhead cliques....

I can post an article about it if people are interested...