Why is there nothing do do in Portland

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 22, 2005
Im sittin here thinkin about it and compared to other big cities we really aint got shit to do except blow tha best weed and shop wit no sales tax..and it makes me mad..fuck a lacrosse team we need an NFL and an MLB team Portlands population is rapidly growin...we neeed a better mall...we need more things in the city to be geared to african-american interests...fuck all these patties im tired of this shyt

2 further go into that shyt

Nike is made in oregon but yet we are the last ones to get all the new shoes...and we have no sales tax Portland should be the shopping mecca of the west coast..

Seattle is bigger but yall got alot of shyt to do it would only make the NW better as a whole.. jus had 2 get shyt off my head

Kon1

Sicc OG
May 17, 2002
portland is tight as fuck doggie. u just gotta have money to go fuck around and do shit. u cant be broke livin in this city cuz then it is boring. theres plenty of shit to do though. but when u said compared to other citys hell yeah we aint shit, but u gotta make the best of it.

Apr 25, 2002
Rose_Red said:
1) we need an NFL and an MLB team Portlands population is rapidly growin..2) we need more things in the city to be geared to african-american interests
1) On paper you're absolutely right. Portland is the largest metro area in the country to have only 1 team (2.2 million people w/ only the Blazers). San Diego is the only other metro area over 2 million not to have atleast 3 teams, let alone 2. Cincinnati, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Charlotte & New Orleans are all smaller than Portland but have 2 or 3 teams.

Making it worse for you guys, Portland doesn't even have major college sports. In Seattle we've got 3 pro teams, but we've really got 5 teams b/c the University of Washington is here (w/ Football & Men's Basketball).

2) What distinguishes African-American interests from those of the general population?

To play the numbers game again, Portland is the 3rd least black large metro area in the country (ahead of Salt Lake City & Phoenix), that is probably a big reason why you don't feel African-American interests are being served in your city, you guys don't have nearly enough buying power for an entrepreneur to have specifically black interests in mind first and foremost (not b/c of economic status, b/c there aren't enough blacks).

Feb 21, 2003
www.myspace.com
Portland has plenty to offer just need to be open to what ever. There's plenty of grown folk music goin on in the city, so go out there and listen to some live music. The Candlelight Room be crackin, there also Jimmy Mak's, The P-Club be jammin.

Apr 25, 2002
Rose_Red said:
we need more things in the city to be geared to african-american interests
I'm still curious about this question.

What entertainment would African Americans in Portland demand that the general population wouldn't? When it comes to entertainment, what are "African American interests?"

Apr 8, 2004
xpanther206 said:
1) On paper you're absolutely right. Portland is the largest metro area in the country to have only 1 team (2.2 million people w/ only the Blazers). San Diego is the only other metro area over 2 million not to have atleast 3 teams, let alone 2. Cincinnati, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Charlotte & New Orleans are all smaller than Portland but have 2 or 3 teams.
Milwaukee, Indianapolis, & Charlotte all got bigger populations than Portland.

Portland ain't the biggest city in America to have 1 pro team or less.
Memphis, Jacksonville, San Jose, San Antonio, Colombus,Ohio. All them cities bigger than Portland and got 1 pro team or less.

Kon1

Sicc OG
May 17, 2002
xpanther206 said:
I'm still curious about this question.

What entertainment would African Americans in Portland demand that the general population wouldn't? When it comes to entertainment, what are "African American interests?"
exactly what i was thinking. lmao thats a funny statement

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
N.Ill-state said:
Milwaukee, Indianapolis, & Charlotte all got bigger populations than Portland.

Portland ain't the biggest city in America to have 1 pro team or less.
Memphis, Jacksonville, San Jose, San Antonio, Colombus,Ohio. All them cities bigger than Portland and got 1 pro team or less.

maybe he ment metropolitan?? shit i dont know.. i dont even know the exact number of our metro, so dont get me lyin...lol

Apr 25, 2002
N.Ill-state said:
1) Milwaukee, Indianapolis, & Charlotte all got bigger populations than Portland.

2) Portland ain't the biggest city in America to have 1 pro team or less.

3) Memphis, Jacksonville, San Jose, San Antonio, Colombus,Ohio. All them cities bigger than Portland and got 1 pro team or less.
Speaking in terms of Metro Areas:

1) Wrong

2) Wrong

3) Wrong

American Metropolitan Statistical Areas by Population (Excel File)

Apr 8, 2004
^^^^^@XPanther--Yo little file thing ain't work.
What metropolitan mean? A city and its surrounding suburbs/areas right.
All them cities I named are bigger than Portland and they all got surrounding suburbs/areas too-metropolitan. San Antonio got 1 million plus people livin in they city alone, plus suburbs. San Jose, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, all got inner city populations of 700,000 or more plus suburbs too.
When they say metropolitan Chicago got 9 million people livin there. That's 3 million livin in the inner city and the other 6 million live in the surrounding suburbs(Joliet, Cicero, waukegan, Aurora, Chicago Heights, Elgin, East Chicago,Indiana, Gary Indiana, etc..) That's how I know metropolitan.

Portland got bout 540,000 people livin there. Then wit they surrounding areas(vancouver, Beaverton, Lake Oswego, Oregon City, etc..) they probably got 1million people in the whole metropolitan Portland maybe a little more. I Doubt it's 2.2 million tho.
So I think yo files wrong Jo. They be a little off sometimes.
And not tryin 2 take nothin away from Portland cause I know it's a major city in the US. Just spittin the real on US populations.

Apr 25, 2002
N.Ill-state said:
^^^^^@XPanther--Yo little file thing ain't work.
What metropolitan mean? A city and its surrounding suburbs/areas right.
All them cities I named are bigger than Portland and they all got surrounding suburbs/areas too-metropolitan. San Antonio got 1 million plus people livin in they city alone, plus suburbs. San Jose, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, all got inner city populations of 700,000 or more plus suburbs too.
When they say metropolitan Chicago got 9 million people livin there. That's 3 million livin in the inner city and the other 6 million live in the surrounding suburbs(Joliet, Cicero, waukegan, Aurora, Chicago Heights, Elgin, East Chicago,Indiana, Gary Indiana, etc..) That's how I know metropolitan.

Portland got bout 540,000 people livin there. Then wit they surrounding areas(vancouver, Beaverton, Lake Oswego, Oregon City, etc..) they probably got 1million people in the whole metropolitan Portland maybe a little more. I Doubt it's 2.2 million tho.
So I think yo files wrong Jo. They be a little off sometimes.
And not tryin 2 take nothin away from Portland cause I know it's a major city in the US. Just spittin the real on US populations.
You understand what a metropolitan area is perfectly, your thought process is perfect, your central city figures are accurate and you give some excellent examples of suburbs.

But your metro area estimates are wrong. The data is easily available from the Census website, follow these directions:

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/CTGeoSearchByListServlet?ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&_lang=en&_ts=188111034716

1) For geographic type, scroll down, 6th from the bottom select "Metropolitan Statistical Area"
2) A list will appear, scroll down and choose any Metro Area you wish. To select it, highlight the city and click the "Add" button. You can keep selecting as many cities as you want before moving to the next step.
3) Hit "Next"
4) Highlight "P1: Total Population" and hit "Go"
5) Check the box that says "Total" and click "Add"
6) Hit "Next"
7) Hit "Show Result"

**You'll see that Metropolitan Portland has roughly 2.3 Million people living in it.

Feel free to select all the cities we're talking about, or even every MSA in the country. I'll save you the trouble, here is what it will say:

Milwaukee: 1.7 Million
Indianapolis: 1.6 Million
San Antonio: 1.6 Million
Columbus: 1.5 Million
Charlotte: 1.5 Million
New Orleans: 1.3 Million

PS - Seattle: 3.5 Million

Apr 8, 2004
xpanther206 said:
You understand what a metropolitan area is perfectly, your thought process is perfect, your central city figures are accurate and you give some excellent examples of suburbs.

But your metro area estimates are wrong. The data is easily available from the Census website, follow these directions:

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/CTGeoSearchByListServlet?ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&_lang=en&_ts=188111034716

1) For geographic type, scroll down, 6th from the bottom select "Metropolitan Statistical Area"
2) A list will appear, scroll down and choose any Metro Area you wish. To select it, highlight the city and click the "Add" button. You can keep selecting as many cities as you want before moving to the next step.
3) Hit "Next"
4) Highlight "P1: Total Population" and hit "Go"
5) Check the box that says "Total" and click "Add"
6) Hit "Next"
7) Hit "Show Result"

**You'll see that Metropolitan Portland has roughly 2.3 Million people living in it.

Feel free to select all the cities we're talking about, or even every MSA in the country. I'll save you the trouble, here is what it will say:

Milwaukee: 1.7 Million
Indianapolis: 1.6 Million
San Antonio: 1.6 Million
Columbus: 1.5 Million
Charlotte: 1.5 Million
New Orleans: 1.3 Million

PS - Seattle: 3.5 Million
OK I'm still kinda sleep on the whole metropolitan thing. Imma look more into it as well as a bunch of other shit I be interested in.

Feb 1, 2006
Remember that the way they calculate the metro area is kinda misleading -- they including all of Vancouver, WA and Clark county Washington, and ALL of Washington county including Hillsboro and Forest Grove.

Multnomah County only has 700,000 people in it. Multnomah and Clackamas counties combined barely crack 1 million.

Whats interesting to me though is that the black proportion of the Portland-Vancouver metro area is increasing even though gentrification is fucking over all the historically black neighborhoods in North and North-east Portland. Whats also crazy is that only 2.7% of Portland-Vancouver was black in 1990 but there were still stong historically black neighborhoods. Portland had aparthied going on for real.

Now the proportion of blacks in PDX/Couv is 3.6%, or about 56,000.

There are 3 times more hispanic and latinos in PDX/Couv than in 1990, and twice as many Asians. We are slowly getting less crackerish, but have a long way to go to make up for the first 125 years or so of Portland's history. I saw that last year Oregon passed Kansas on the list of 'least-honkified' states. That's right, we are now the 31st most diverse state in the nation.....

For y'all that live/lived in North and North-east during the past 15 years, what do you all think of whats going on -- all bad in that neighborhoods are being broken up and black businesses are shutting down, or is it somewhat good that neighborhoods are being integrated so there are better services and they cant consistantly shaft the majority black high schools anymore because there are more black kids in Gresham, Vancouver, etc.?

I personally cant stand seeing all the stupid white hipsters and yuppies on Alberta, Albina and Mississippi Aves. and and dont ever kick it there but I didn't grow up over there so I dont know what y'all think...