why do people dislike bay area rap

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 19, 2006
Cesolito #1 said:
I think the right answer hasnt been exposed yet.

One of the answer is majority of people outside of the bay arent hip to it yet. Due to poor distribution and most are local state acts thats it. Think about something if it wasnt for the internet and sites like siccness.net 85% of people wouldnt even know about artists in the bay. If it wasnt fro here I would know who Messy Marv, Ya Boy, Mista Cane, Balance, Slo-O are and this coming from a person on the other side of the country not in Cali either.
I agree

Nov 28, 2005
yo we all love the days of rbl posse, jt,dre dog, e-40,all those compilation albums, the mobb music days are gone, and their not coming back even doe we all wish they would, but the bay and the music scene is differnt now days. keep it real to the streets no matter what, who and were u rep,

Nov 11, 2006
nob0die said:
i know the answer..... the reason noone listens to Bay rap is.... IT SUCKS...
have you ever listened to it??? if so then you'd know and wouldnt have to ask in here.... BAY AREA RAP is WACK... i say it time and time again... noone believes it.. but it does... thats y noone even collaborates with the West hardly except for Poop Dogg and Lame.. i mean Snoop and Game.... and they suck.... they beats are 98% garbage (ive heard a few Fab songs that sounded good until he started rappin)... and that pretty much sums it up.....
now if yall will excuse me... im goin back to slappin my Chingy Jackpot cd....

LMAO anybody who listens to chingy and is proud of it clearly has no taste in music. And u have the nerve to talk shit about the bay?? there's some fuccin clowns on the siccness 4 real!

Jan 24, 2007
The Bay will always knock for me, I think there's too much division over which type of rap we shud put out to the mainstream, lets just make all that rap music.
South is mainstream, and they have crunk snap bounce dirty miami memphis etc etc and even real lyricists hitting the mainstream circuits. No reason why we shud only endorse one type of bay sound to the mainstream, whether it be hyphy or anything other.
And for those in the Bay wondering why were not blowing up, hating on any type of bay rap will further contribute to the bay not blowing up. By any means tho Im no fan of shitty rap and I feel there are too many gimmicks in the bay, but thats probably the same with every other region too, I bet theres a million dudes trying to be crunk and snap or whatever in the South who are fucking gimmicks.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
The Evil Genius said:
U pretty much summed it up playboy. I've been saying 4 years that current Bay rap iz too regional. alot of the shit comin'from the south iz too regional but they have enough people that wil support their own witout the help of outside regions so they have more of a chance2 get away with it.
I don't think being regional is a bad thing as long as being regional = being original...

one of the things that are killing hip-hop is rappers tryign to appeal to everybody (which means they do pop-music)

if you take a look at the history of hip-hop, since the late 80s/early 90s it's been always the regional styles that have reinvented hip-hop, from G-Funk to crunk

so being regional is not a bad thing, the quality of the albums is a much bigger issue IMO

Mar 18, 2006
I think people hate it because it isnt easy to grasp if u aint up on "game"....a lot of it is talkin about bein/doin it independent and livin that real hustler life...as we've seen the last couple years, a lot of the music is truly wattered down, and there are MANY clones in that scene.....as far as the classics are concerned, Bay Area rap is the shit! Whoever said Papoose is made by dumb people for dumb people is a dumb person.

Sep 17, 2006
Stealth said:
I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm the only one out here who listens to Bay music. Some of the shit I play, people love, some of the shit I play, people hate.

1. Gangsta Rap (1996 era Bay Area rap) is no longer popular. The funky beats are cool but the choruses aren't polished for the radio. The topics aren't as relevant to society anymore. Rap music has moved away from the gang banger image.

2. Hyphy - The beats are considered wack by non-thizzing individuals outside of the Bay. Keak makes no sense whatsoever. The Team has great production, but they aren't well known outside of the Bay.

3. Hip Hop (Zion I, Hieroglyphics) - Get their props in backpacking circles, but nowhere else.

A lot of Bay artists are independent. This means that they might make more money off of each album, but they don't have the distribution. They can't advertise like major labels, and they don't control MTV and the Radio.

The hyphy style is a regional style that has to spread, but it didn't spread because its more culturally based than music based. You have to understand the Bay area culture before you understand why people think Hyphy is good. My friends don't ride scrapers and thizz. They prefer music that applies to them.

That's my $.02.
Very well said, I live in South Jersey and I'm one of the VERY select few that listens to Bay music. I don't fuck with hyphy though.

Everyone here thinks it's corny, beats are wack, lyrics are rarley if ever mind expanding, and NY feels the same way. It's the reason why the Bay will never be big commercially.

The Bay's oversaturation of the market confuses potential East Coast buyers that ain;t on top of what goes on in the Bay. I mean Keak is not liked out here, but I know at least a few people would have been interseted in putting out an album. So they see On One, or any of the crappy mixtapes he's put out since "Super Hyphy", buy that, are rightfully disgusted, and never listen to Bay rap again.

I can also tell you that Mistah Fab putting out "Ghostride It" as his single was a HUGE mistake. Everyone out here is kinda laughing at y'all.

Nov 14, 2006
The Bay just lacks originality and leadership right now. Too many followers are salting up the game.

But you know what I'm sick of the Bay and LA. The westcoast needs some new styles coming out of some different areas. Like the Central Valley or San Diego or some shit. LA and the Bay Area just keep rocking tired styles that have been played the fuck out! No disrespect to either place but I along with the rest of the country are ready for something different from California.

And the main reason a lot people outside the bay really don't like Hyphy shit is because they probably don't understand it.

Nov 14, 2006
Imonone said:
Very well said, I live in South Jersey and I'm one of the VERY select few that listens to Bay music. I don't fuck with hyphy though.

Everyone here thinks it's corny, beats are wack, lyrics are rarley if ever mind expanding, and NY feels the same way. It's the reason why the Bay will never be big commercially.

The Bay's oversaturation of the market confuses potential East Coast buyers that ain;t on top of what goes on in the Bay. I mean Keak is not liked out here, but I know at least a few people would have been interseted in putting out an album. So they see On One, or any of the crappy mixtapes he's put out since "Super Hyphy", buy that, are rightfully disgusted, and never listen to Bay rap again.

I can also tell you that Mistah Fab putting out "Ghostride It" as his single was a HUGE mistake. Everyone out here is kinda laughing at y'all.

It's not like the east is putting out any better shit. 50 Cent alone has got to be the biggest joke in all of rap music and hip hop.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
The same reason I think Go Go music and Miami Bass sucks, its a regional thing that only people in those areas can understand.

Sep 17, 2006
Mayor of Tracy said:
It's not like the east is putting out any better shit. 50 Cent alone has got to be the biggest joke in all of rap music and hip hop.
Your wrong about that. First of all, every rapper makes love songs, G-Units just happen to blow up, get played out. It ain't his fault. your favorite rapper would do the SAME things if given the opportunity.

Every verse he's dropped lately has been pure fire, and I'll be the first to tell you that he did fall off for a minute but that minutes back in it to quote Mac mal.

Nov 14, 2006
Well I guess our opinions just differ but let me ask you this, has 50 ever put out anything "mind expanding" as Imonone would say? These popular cats from the east put out just as much corny wack shit as the bay. That's all I'm trying to say.

Sep 17, 2006
Mayor of Tracy said:
Well I guess our opinions just differ but let me ask you this, has 50 ever put out anything "mind expanding" as Imonone would say? These popular cats from the east put out just as much corny wack shit as the bay. That's all I'm trying to say.
Listen to "gotta Make It To Heaven", "Peraly Gates, "Many Men", etc.

Jan 1, 2006
Too me Bay Music is the shit. Probably because I can relate to all the landmarks or most of my favorite rappers are within a 45 minutes drive from me. But being from the Bay you have a much deeper respect for your music than cats outside. I don't like when people call Bay Area music strictly West Coast because once you do that that's like saying our style runs with LA which is totally different.

But a lot of people run with what's on the radio or TV. Bay music shit we listen to what we hear on the street word of mouth. I like to listen to what I like not what's being feed off the radio. People are so brainwashed now that's why local rappers don't get much respect in their own towns.

Aug 7, 2002
let me put it like this....the old bay music got the koolest sounds who agrees with me ? these funky g funk kool azz sounds that doesn't feel like it'll ever be old