why do people dislike bay area rap

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 27, 2007
i dont dislike the bay.. but im just tired of hearin the dam hyphie movement.. other music come out the bay that aint got to do wit that. and most of the music outside the hyphie is better anyway!

Nov 28, 2005
them cats in the east are reginal also, i think in my opinon east coast aint got no dope beats and they sample alot but who dont? talk about saturation, camron 4 example is tight, but he can make a shitty song and people over there will still love it, cause itS from cam or jim jones so in there eyes its gotta be tight no mATTER WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE . u will hear it on the radio over and over, they make a shit load of jams, most are crappy in my opinion

Jun 2, 2005
I think the reason people dislike bay area rap music, is because bay area folks seem to try and force their movement on people. They talk so much and so highly of the bay, that they make you listen to their music, but when you listen to it, it's like "that shit was corny" or the shit sounds hella "local" and simplistic...On top of that when you keep accusing everyone of biting your style that makes them very crictical of any thing you do...So some light-weigth weak shit that might have slid by or got accepted is going to get dissed... In my opininon there are a lot of haters in the bay when it comes to music made by folks from other regions, as the saying goes what goes around comes around... Growing up I use to love bay music, them cats were some real hustler, gangsters, mac's / artist...

Mar 28, 2006
a star impaled said:
To add to this thread...

There is your answer.

Ask any of these bay cats who listened to bay rap before mac dre died if they were going to show someone else ANY bay cd to introduce someone to bay rap what would it be?

The answers are obvious. Explosive Mode, 11/5, Cold World Hustlas, Hall of Game, Dre Dog, Dwellin In The Lab, Stackin Chips, anything along those lines right? Something between 1992-2001.

Now do you see the problem? The new music is complete garbage. It's obvious why it doesn't get any attention, IT SUCKS! Even most bay cats rather listen to older bay shit over new. It's all these young ass kids and sell out rappers who are doing nothing more than following trends that are ruining music. They fuel off each other. All these fools honestly think Mac Dre would have approved of this stupid shit? They're wrong. Besides before he died Mac Dre was nobodie's favorite rapper. Tell me I'm wrong? I'll tell you that you're a liar.

your trippin if u think the bay is now all sell out rappers, yeah theres fools who r tryin to ride the hyphy bandwagon hella hard, but no one that I kno really listens to that gimmiky shit. hus, jacka, ap.9, fed-x, rydah, san quinn, ya boy, too short, e-40, b-legit, the federation and hella other cats r puttin out quality music. hyphy music is only one small part of bay area music, and theres good hyphy music (like the federation) and bad hyphy music. The Bay is Still Doin It

Mar 28, 2006
nob0die said:
when you say "doin it "... u do mean .. doin it (only in the BAY) right???? because on a national level.. or any level outside of the Bay... yall aint doin nothin.. but sittin still
i meant doin it as in making good music. Being popular and mainstream definetly doesnt always coinside with making good music. I think there are a few reasons why the bay isnt doing it on a national level, but becuase we only make shitty music isnt one of them. The biggest reason it seems is that alot of Bay area artists are masters of the indie game and make tons of money off it, money they wouldnt see if they were on majors. Please believe bay area artists get offers from major labels all the time, but dudes dont wanna make a couple cents of their album. Why would they sign just to be popular if theyre gonna be broke...yeah not all record deals screw you but u gotta hold out for the right one, and thats the process the bay is going through right now..shopping for the right deal and once one rapper blows the next man will beable to get a better deal and itll be a domino effect Like we saw in the south.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
WHITE DEVIL said:
Rap music - 85% of people who listen to rap are idiots anyways.

You look at shit like "Chain Hang Low", Papoose, Nelly - its music for the stupid, by the stupid.

Trying to figure out the exact hows and whys of anything related to rap is pointless. Why Thug Thug got famous and Lil Dubb, Rappin Rick, and D-Mo didnt is not really an answerable question.
What Papoose songs have you been listening too? Papoose is far from one of these party, and rap about my bling and bitches rappers.

Maybe you have him confused with someone else is the only thing I can think of. Because Nelly, the "Chain Hang Low" guy, and Papoose shouldn't even been in the same sentence let alone grouped together as the same type of rappers.

Papoose is one of the few reasons I still even listen to and have hope for rap music.

Dec 8, 2005
i dont hate bay area rap, but just from reading these boards it seems like a lot of people in the bay have a sense of entitlement " we should been on back in the 90's" "we dont get the credit we deserve" "fuck the east coast bias". The underground indie feel of a lot of bay rap is a good thing and has probably saved more of the bays music from turning into industry garbage. Nobody owes anybody shit in the music industry or in life. and music in most places, for worse, is a business. Like many things in life you have to take what you want, not sit around and cry cause you dont have it. the fact that all bay music isnt industry bullshit is what helps it makes its own unique sound and gives you all freedom all these other bitches on the east coast and other places lack because they are bowing down and conforming to get deals. keep making that out of nowhere type shit and not worrying about MTV and the bays legacy and originality will be seen in time.