Why can't AL pitchers hit?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Are u askin about the DH rule?? Or just AL pitchers talent at hittin?? If u askin about why baseball dont let them hit is because if the stupid DH rule!! No explanation just anotha dumb rule in sports!! GOT EM!!

Cut-Throat

Bob Pimp MOBBEN!!!
Apr 25, 2002
alot of younger pitchers comin up can hit pretty good because there road to the big leagues isnt taking what it used to...cats are gettin called up a year and a half after they get drafted so there still decent at swinging the stick....and you can DH for anybody..doesnt have to be the pitcher...you can DH for your left fielder if you wanted to......

Mar 18, 2003
Good post, caffeine. I was planning on posting something similar to this.

I have always found it strange that pitchers in the majors hit so poorly. I mean, mentally, you would think pitchers have an advantage over hitters when you consider their understanding for the different types of pitches (and what they can do) as well as what pitches are likely to be thrown in certain situations. Of course, that doesn't seem to be the case. I can remember playing in my younger days, and all the pitchers in the league were great hitters. Somewhere along the line they lost their swing. I was once told that it's caused by a lack of batting practice, I just don't believe that. When it's all said and done, I think the main reason they can't hit is because they lack game time expierence. You have to understand that, although they might get 2-4 plate appearances when they pitch, they only start every 5 games or so. Perhaps the redundancy of the way they wind up and release the ball, could have a big impact as it interferes on the way they swing the bat. BAMMER can probably shed some more light on this topic.

A few more things to discuss as far as pitching.

Who do you guys think is the best hitting pitcher?

He doesn't have the highest average, but I have to go with Kerry Wood. I think if they worked with him enough he could be a solid .230-.250 hitter for an entire year. He's obviously got the power.

Here's something to think about. What would be the impact of a (successful) switch-handed pitcher?

Apr 25, 2002
Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine are pretty good hitters too. Tim Wakefield (if he would have made it) would have hit well in the World Series, he came up as an outfielder before he devolped his knuckleball so he could hit a little.

All the cubs youngsters can swing the stick.

May 8, 2002
caffeine said:
same reason NL pitchers cant hit.

i only know of 3 good hitting pitchers in all of MLB

1. Mark Prior
2. Darren Driefort
3. Mike Hampton

of course in no particular order.

also if i am not mistaken i think that all minor leagues use the DH.

May 8, 2002
Nitro the Guru said:
Who do you guys think is the best hitting pitcher?

He doesn't have the highest average, but I have to go with Kerry Wood. I think if they worked with him enough he could be a solid .230-.250 hitter for an entire year. He's obviously got the power.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5188&context=batting
darren dreifort

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6787&context=batting
mark prior
Scouting Report
2002 Season
Defense & Hitting

Prior already is one of the best-hitting pitchers in the majors. He had three home runs in 19 at-bats before his callup, and batted .171 with four doubles for the Cubs. He hasn't yet learned to bunt well, though. He also must work on paying more attention to baserunners.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4994
mike hampton
Scouting Report
2002 Season
Defense & Hitting

And he's a legitimate threat with the bat. He can hit-and-run, drive the ball in the alleys, and is one of the fastest runners in the majors.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=5734
Livan Hernandez
Scouting Report
2002 Season

Hernandez also is considered one of the game's top hitting pitchers, with a .242 career batting average.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
Most all the good hitting pitchers went and played college for a few years.Prior at USC,Driefort at Witchita St.,Keishnick(sp)at Texas.Alot of major league pitchers were probably the best hitters on their high school teams,but if they went straight to A Ball,there only focus becomes pitching,and the level of pitching is at a whole new level.They go from seeing 70 to 85 mph fastballs in H.S. with mediocre offspeed shit,to seeing guys with 4 pitches that throw in the 90's.Alot of players with horrible bats and strong arms in the minors become pitchers.They know they'll never make it as a shortstop or rightfielder,so they make a position change because of their arm strength.

To basically answer it,AL pitchers don't take BP after spring training.During inter-league they'll work on bunting and take some b.p. but that's all the cuts they take all year.NL pitchers hit,so they take more BP.John Olerud and Mark Kotsay are two of the best pitchers in College History,so go figure.