Whose the best QB of all time?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 12, 2006
I think its funny people get outraged if you say Marino is the best QB ever because he never won a Superbowl. Like it was his fault. But if you say Emmitt Smith is better than Barry Sanders people are like fuck that Barry's teams sucked so he's way better. Lol
Let it go, we all get it you hate the 49ers and the Lions Rossi. Huge difference between the piles of shit that the Detroit lions surrounded Barry with during his career compared to the talent that surrounded Marino.

Dude, the Dolphins defense was one of the worst in the league that year. They only made the Superbowl because of Marino!

You don't believe me? Go check the stats for yourself.
Who did Marino have down there in Miami? Mark Duper and Mark Clayton ONLY. There was no running game in Dolphin land at that time. There was also no defense to get him the ball back either. All the Dolphins had was Shula, Marino, Duper and Clayton. lol

In addition, he had protection given to him by an offensive line led by all-pro center Dwight Stephenson and Pro Bowl guard Ed Newman. Coming into Super Bowl XIX, Marino had only been sacked 13 times in the regular season and not once in the playoffs.

The Dolphins had a number of offensive threats for Marino to use. Wide receivers Mark Clayton (73 receptions, 1,389 yards, 18 touchdowns) and Mark Duper (71 receptions, 1,306 yards, 8 touchdowns) became the first teammates ever to each gain over 1,300 receiving yards in one season, while Clayton's 18 touchdown catches broke the NFL single season record of 17 set by Don Hutson in 1942. Receiver Nat Moore caught 43 passes for 574 yards and 6 touchdowns, while tight end Dan Johnson contributed 34 receptions for 426 yards. While Miami's main offensive attack was passing, they still had a trio of great running backs: Tony Nathan, Woody Bennett, and Joe Carter. Both Nathan and Bennett finished the season with over 1,000 combined rushing and receiving yards, while Carter contributed 495 rushing yards. Despite Miami's superb offense, punter Reggie Roby still made the pro bowl, averaging 44.7 yards per punt with a net gain average of 38.7.

However, the Dolphins defense was a little suspect. They tied the Oilers and the Minnesota Vikings for the most rushing yards allowed during the regular season (4.7 yards per attempt), and ranked just 19th in fewest yards allowed (5,759). The main bright spots on the defense were safeties brothers Lyle and Glenn Blackwood, along with Pro Bowl ILB A.J. Duhe, Pro Bowl NT Bob Baumhower, and DE Doug Betters. Glenn Blackwood had picked off 6 passes during the season and returned them for 169 yards, while Betters recorded 14 sacks and a fumble recovery. LB Charles Bowser was also a big contributor, recording 9 sacks and one fumble recovery

Despite their defensive flaws, the Dolphins' powerful offense led the NFL in scoring (513 points) and total yards gained (7,064), and helped the team reach an AFC best 14-2 regular season record.
LOL @ Dan Marino having a shitty team. Some of you cats make me laugh, his offense of line was no joke! Also there was 7 hall of famers involved in that game 49ers: Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Bill Walsh and Fred Dean as for the Dolphins: Don Shula, Dan Marino, and Dwight Stephenson not some lopsided game both teams had talent. Funny how people bring up Mark Duper and Clayton fact is Duper and Clayton had more pro bowls than Freddie Solomon and Dwight Clark. People act like Montana had Hall of Fame Receivers heading into that super bowl.

Last edited:
Props: Tony
Jan 12, 2006
Some of you cats are reaching way to hard, keep trying though it's making this debate entertaining.

Montana is the sole reason a lot of QB's are ring less in the 80's just like Jordan did up a lot of great players in the 90's.

Last edited:
Props: Tony
Mar 24, 2006
It's good homie, not saying you're lying but if Marino was that good he would have made it to the SuperBowl again when they had a better defense.

Marino was a great qb one of the greatest but I wouldn't say he's better than Montana. Montana won 4 SuperBowls (2 without Rice) and Montana was clutch. With the game on the line you wouldn't want no other qb leading your team. The only way to beat Montana was to take him out physically that's why the Giants had success back in the 80's and early 90's.
Thats just it though, they NEVER had a better defense breh. All his defenses were at best slightly below average or complete dogshit. lol

Im with ya on Montana being the QB you would want "leading" your team to victory but when it comes to pure passing ability its Marino all day. Surround him with the kinds of teams Montana had and he woulda had some Superbowl victories aswell.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Let it go, we all get it you hate the 49ers and the Lions Rossi. Huge difference between the piles of shit that the Detroit lions surrounded Barry with during his career compared to the talent that surrounded Marino.

LOL @ Dan Marino having a shitty team. Some of you cats make me laugh, his offense of line was no joke! Also there was 7 hall of famers involved in that game 49ers: Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Bill Walsh and Fred Dean as for the Dolphins: Don Shula, Dan Marino, and Dwight Stephenson not some lopsided game both teams had talent. Funny how people bring up Mark Duper and Clayton fact is Duper and Clayton had more pro bowls than Freddie Solomon and Dwight Clark. People act like Montana had Hall of Fame Receivers heading into that super bowl.
Despite their defensive flaws, the Dolphins' powerful offense led the NFL in scoring (513 points) and total yards gained (7,064), and helped the team reach an AFC best 14-2 regular season record.

Damn^.... No excuses.... couldn't beat Montana's 49ers, not even with the NFL's hottest offense. Like Ironlungs said, Montana is comparable to Jordan. They won multiple championships and never lost.

Mar 24, 2006
Some of you cats are reaching way to hard, keep trying though it's making this debate entertaining.

Montana is the sole reason a lot of QB's are ring less in the 80's just like Jordan did up a lot of great players in the 90's.
Dude, no matter how much you keep twisting it. Marino NEVER had the quality of teams Montana had surrounding him. Its a fact. The only reason you are arguing this fact is because the 49ers are your team and you feel Im downgrading that Superbowl win in 84'.

Theres no use in going back n' forth with you on this subject due to the fact that you're easily the biggest homer in the ENTIRE sports forum. Im done.

Props: Jaysav

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Thats just it though, they NEVER had a better defense breh. All his defenses were at best slightly below average or complete dogshit. lol Im with ya on Montana being the QB you would want "leading" your team to victory but when it comes to pure passing ability its Marino all day. Surround him with the kinds of teams Montana had and he woulda had some Superbowl victories aswell.
Taking nothing away from the early 49er teams that won two superbowls in the early 80's, but they weren't that talented to be honest. The talent came when Jerry Rice was drafted.

Marino had the quickest release, but Montana had pin point accuracy and was cool under pressure.

Mar 24, 2006

Damn^.... No excuses.... couldn't beat Montana's 49ers, not even with the NFL's hottest offense. Like Ironlungs said, Montana is comparable to Jordan. They won multiple championships and never lost.
You do realize the 49ers defense was better then the Dolphins right? The Dolphins only ran the ball 9 times in that Superbowl too.

You do also realize the 49ers offense wasn't no pushover that year either right? Ofcourse a Montana led team is going to devour a piss poor defense in a Superbowl. I mean these are the games he shines most afterall isn't it?

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Dude, no matter how much you keep twisting it. Marino NEVER had the quality of teams Montana had surrounding him. Its a fact. The only reason you are arguing this fact is because the 49ers are your team and you feel Im downgrading that Superbowl win in 84'. Theres no use in going back n' forth with you on this subject due to the fact that you're easily the biggest homer in the ENTIRE sports forum. Im done.
Come on Argentin3, we're just debating bro, no need to be done. Ironlungs is a die hard 49er fan, but I don't think he's a homer to be honest. I don't think he's being biased, Montana was just that good.

Ironlungs pointed out that Marino and the Dolphins had the hottest offense in the league and went 14-2. I'm pretty sure that team probably had more talent than Joe's 49ers when they met in the SuperBowl. Joe was just the better qb and led his team to victory.

Props: IronLungs420
Jan 12, 2006
If you asked me who the best running back of all time was and I said Roger Craig or Frank Gore then that would make me a homer. Asking who the greatest QB of all time is and I proceeded to answer with Joe Montana. Well I just don't see how that makes me a homer.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
You do realize the 49ers defense was better then the Dolphins right? The Dolphins only ran the ball 9 times in that Superbowl too. You do also realize the 49ers offense wasn't no pushover that year either right? Ofcourse a Montana led team is going to devour a piss poor defense in a Superbowl. I mean these are the games he shines most afterall isn't it?
Yeah the 49ers probably did have a better defense. But then the Dolphins defense could've been ranked low because they were always on the field (due to their offense scoring so many points)

I'm just saying, Joe Montana couldn't have faced 4 piss poor defenses in every Superbowl. Denver had a good defense, and he lit them up. Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater were probably the best tandem of safeties that year... don't forget about Karl Mecklenberg, Simon Fletcher... I remember that SuperBowl because I thought it was going to be a shootout between John and Joe.

Last edited:

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
Elway.Won 2 with a RB, lost 3 with pedestrian WR's and RB's, and a defense that let the Skins score on their first 5 possesions.Montana got the Bengals twice, and Steve Young proved he could dominate with that Niners squad soon after

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Nothing against Steve Young, because he's one of my favorites of all time but I don't recall him dominating like Montana. That 94 Niner squad was stacked, possibly the best team ever assembled on paper (Ricky Waters, William Floyd, Brent Jones, Deion Sanders, Merton Hanks, Ken Norton). Taking nothing away from Steve though because he did his part. The team didn't carry him. But there's no way he dominated like Montana.

Mar 24, 2006
Lets not forget Marino played for the winnest NFL coach of ALL TIME.

You can argue his coach had a lot more to do with his success. Can't say the same for Manning and Dungy, sorry you just can't.
Lets also not forget that Montana played under Bill Walsh's ground breaking west coast offense all those years too.

You could argue his coach had a lot to do with his success aswell.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Or you could argue that Montana had a lot to do with Walsh's success. Montana won a SuperBowl with George Siefert as head coach.

I think both had to do with each other's success. Walsh came up with idea and Montana performed and mastered it.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
If you asked me who the best running back of all time was and I said Roger Craig or Frank Gore then that would make me a homer. Asking who the greatest QB of all time is and I proceeded to answer with Joe Montana. Well I just don't see how that makes me a homer.
Lol you mentioned Patrick Willis as greatest LB ever. That's homer. And I don't hate the Lions or the 9ers. I'm just debating buddy and I always felt that about Barry so I've been having that argument for 20 years.