Who the first southern rapper to hit the mainstream big?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 9, 2002
luke & tha crew then master p...but geto boys were tha first to put tha south on tha map just never went mainstream...

Jul 7, 2004
TUNEZ_PWP said:
2 live crew was first then geto boys(bushwick bill,scarface and that other guy i forget his name
willie d......but i dont think the geto boys ever made it mainstream.....

i would say the first southern click to really explode on the mainstream was cash money......

May 3, 2002
i'd go wit ghetto boys as mainstream............. "minds playin tricks on me" was played on mtv and lotta radio stations. they definately put texas on tha map and made rap-a-lot what it is.

what bout dj magic mike?

Jul 7, 2004
killahoe666 said:
i'd go wit ghetto boys as mainstream............. "minds playin tricks on me" was played on mtv and lotta radio stations. they definately put texas on tha map and made rap-a-lot what it is.

what bout dj magic mike?

it was on mtv because of the shock value geto boys had....i dont think they were mains tream though.....to me main stream is havin teenage white girls driving in there daddys benz singing the songs

and i dont think they were runnin around back then talkin bout damn it feels good to be a gangsta...

dj magic mike....had more of a club party type of following never really struck it amongst that crowd again

i guess this question really all depends on your definition of mainstream ya know

Aug 9, 2002
45Yr Old Virgin said:
but weren't 2 live crew, at least most of the original members from cali?
No...I dont think so, luke is str8 outta miami...hes knows as tha king of miami...

BigWrecc - LSE said:
it was on mtv because of the shock value geto boys had....i dont think they were mains tream though.....to me main stream is havin teenage white girls driving in there daddys benz singing the songs
TRUE....exactly what im sayin...

wino

Sicc OG
Jan 4, 2004
For sure Geto Boys Mind Playin Tricks on Me in 91. That shit put them on the map. As far as Luke and 2 Live Crew go, I can't even put them in a class. They were just booty shakin bullshit.