Who Here Trains?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
yeah, injuries suck balls. I mostly taught myself how to box but I had a trainer my first couple of months and we would use those mit/glove combinations that has somewhat of a mitt on the palm but it's a glove. I would try and throw a one-two and I would drop my right hand from an orthodox stance and my trainer would hit me in the face. At 6am, when you're not a morning person, getting socked in the nose really isn't crackin. My nose is all jacked up anyways but that always bothered me more than anything for some reason.

I have a shoulder that pops out of place sometimes and semi frequent which sucks, but it's non boxing related. Had tendonitis that I really should've rested that I just kept trying to fight through.

Knees and ankles are jacked from basketball and roadwork and jumping rope. Nothing like Brown Guerrero though.

Nov 14, 2004
im currently tryna get back into boxing, did it a little bit towards the end of HS, Learned from a dope dude out in lathrop who trains kids/amateurs, etc in a ring he set up in his backyard, he good people. my buddy is training me right now he learned from the same guy as well but we training in stockton just cause we tryna get back into things.
I wreslted in HS and i would love to learn some bjj but these classes are pricey and my cash flow isnt sufficient, do yall know of spots in the valley that teach well and dont put a hurtin in my bank account?

Apr 25, 2002
9 months of jujitsu and kick boxing,we also go over basic wrestling technique , as an amatuer in mma record of 1-0 and plan on fighting in july again at middle weight. i was pretty much a 100 pounds heavier last year

Apr 20, 2005
Any instructor NOT working on the fundamentals, especially with beginners, is a joke. BTW the worst part of training is INJURIES. These are the injuries me and my brother have accumulated over the years:

torn meniscus x2
torn MCL x4
torn ACL
torn bicep tendon
seperated shoulder x3
broken finger
broken toe
hyperextended elbow
countless bloody lips, strains, lacerations, bruises and scars
lil bit of cauliflower ear

My brother is only 21 and he's already accumulated so many injuries(especially knee) that he's pretty much done training for the rest of his life unless he wants to keep having surgeries.

I'm dealing with grade 2 torn MCL as we speak.
gott damm dude! ur one of them dudes that just be takin haymakers to the face but still move forward. which was the most painful injury? lol

Apr 25, 2002
boxed for about a year in Sac then went to SF and trained at 3rd St gym near Hunters Point. Had to stop when I decided to go back to grad school.

I do CrossFit now - which is intense as all hell - but I still think the boxing workout/training is the best shit you can be doing. I was straight shredded doing that shit.

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
I'm actually considering taking martial arts of some sort. I really don't know what my immediate future holds and not sure which state I'll be in about 5 months from now but once I get that figured out, I'm gonna see what I can do. Ideally though, I'd rather be training boxers again

May 6, 2002
Any good Martial Artist coach will work with your boxing, and build around it.
I've been doing Muay Thai and my coach is way cool about my stance (Shotokan-wide, not really boxing) and my guard (in close tight, like Floyd) and he works with it. He knows I will be more efficient if he helps me fine tune it, rather than tearing it apart and rebuilding it.

So ya, don't worry about the style too much. Find a good trainer who will capitalize on your boxing background.

Nov 7, 2006
did some boxing training years ago but never went back when i got my fulltime job. want to start it up again though. i also wrestled a lil in school but stopped after i realized i hated it lol.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
been doing jiu jitsu and muay thai on and off for a few years, i'm also a level 3 US Army combatives instructor, but haven't taught a class in over a year.

Joined a new gym here in Augusta, GA a few months ago, but the gym was garbage so I've been lazy as hell. When I get back to the west coast next year i'll be back full time though.

Sep 15, 2009
I did BJJ for 2 months at a community college 5 years back (2 months, lol I know). The cool thing about it was that it was free. One of the guys somehow got the keys to the wrestling room and opened it up every Tuesday/Thursday night from 9pm to midnight. 2 amateur fighters taught it along with 1 pro. Every Sunday, Nam Phan would show up and teach. It was awesome having him show up and teach us for free. Now he charges at his gym lol. He's a real cool guy tho and a big ass dork. When I first met him I couldn't believe he was a fighter because he was such a nerd