Where does Bay Area music sell good at today ??? (Regions)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 25, 2003
i'm not sure but i know if you're music is good enough people will fuck witcha without really trippin off where you're from. i dont seek out new artists to listen to based on what region they're from. and i'm trying to make music people everywhere can relate to so i dont get pigeonholed into being just another "bay rapper."

but i've promoted in arizona, chicago, LA, san diego, new york, and they were all open to hearing stuff from the bay. whenever i drop something a big number of my sales/downloads come from overseas too. europe is a huge market, so is japan.
Damn I missed your Dago show man; whens the next time youre touchin down here??? ...& bring Equipto/Bored Stiff wit u lol!!

Jan 6, 2008
www.youtube.com
people still attempt to market their music as "bay music"? i dont see the point.

the funniest thing to me though, is that most artists that i personally know that sell even 1000 albums, did it in other regions, not the bay. i know artists that go to Texas or LA and do a show and sell 50 copies. Then they come back to the bay and do a show and sell 1 CD. The support within our own region is almost a joke when it comes to up and coming rappers.

and someone else already said it, "bay music" sells best overseas. i hear about it all the time.

Dec 26, 2004
www.slapmaster.net
people still attempt to market their music as "bay music"? i dont see the point.

the funniest thing to me though, is that most artists that i personally know that sell even 1000 albums, did it in other regions, not the bay. i know artists that go to Texas or LA and do a show and sell 50 copies. Then they come back to the bay and do a show and sell 1 CD. The support within our own region is almost a joke when it comes to up and coming rappers.

and someone else already said it, "bay music" sells best overseas. i hear about it all the time.
It seems like every region is seeing some kind of $ return when the Bay all your doing is spending for placement. As a producer I will say its easyer to make $ but as a artist is way harder here then it would be in LA, Atl, or NY

May 26, 2006
I think it's the quality of music that hurts Bay Area artist. As a consumer who's 35yrs old I listen to the music being presented and I'm not willing to buy alot of it. there's a choosen few i fuck wit Nickatina, Jacka, Messy Marv. Plus I think the younger Generation isnt into all the dope tales. they're into that being fly shit.

Mr G

Drunk Pot-Head
Apr 4, 2007
Las Vegas
i know quite a bit of people form l.a.
that have NEVER heard of the Jacka or J. Stalin.....

I was like WTF... so yeah
beside pheonix & houston showing love to bay rap all the areas have been listed

Oct 11, 2002
It seems like every region is seeing some kind of $ return when the Bay all your doing is spending for placement. As a producer I will say its easyer to make $ but as a artist is way harder here then it would be in LA, Atl, or NY
I been living in Atlanta for the last 6 months and I could tell why they're more successful within a week of being here. Out here, they play their artists ALL DAY EVERYDAY. If you aint from the south or in the south you get no love. They want to hear ppl they can relate to. Ppl who live their lifestyle. In CA (especially Northern CA) everybody want to hear ppl they have NOTHING in common with. They figure if I can go to a club and have a drink with Indecent I'm not buying his CD. Out here, they will buy your CD BECAUSE they can have a drink with you. Now dont get me wrong, they also love West Coast Music (I've sold more records here in 6 months than the last 2-3 years in CA) we just dont reach them. Most ppl out here have ONLY heard of E-40, Too Short, Snoop, Dre, and The Game. No Mac Dre, no Jacka, no Mess, etc etc. So much so I'm ready to reach out to yall to promote Cali music out here. They fuck with us, we just dont come out here to promote anything on a big level. That said, above all, Atlanta fucks with niggas from Atlanta. They buy their records, pack their shows, etc. etc. There are niggas out here that most of us have never heard of that are RICH AS FUCK from operating in the south ONLY. And they ppl out here love to see they own eating because they feel like they could to. Back home, if a nigga really eating, niggas hate all day until nobody eating. We got just as much (if not more) talent and hustle as the south. The ppl just dont support their own. Until that happens the West will always lag behind. Just my two cents from what I've seen in 10+ years being involved in independent music.....

milkky

The Milk Man
Sep 6, 2010
Thats cool. Just doesn't seem those areas generate real numbers for artist in the Bay Area presently compared to other indi artist abroad that area marketing there self to Bigger and more populated regions.
Lol you ask for my input but automatically say I'm not right and shoot my response down... You obviously don't know WTF your talking about, the Midwest is a Huge market for Bay area music whether you choose to acknowledge it.. Probably the biggest market outside of Northern Cali..

Dec 25, 2003
I been living in Atlanta for the last 6 months and I could tell why they're more successful within a week of being here. Out here, they play their artists ALL DAY EVERYDAY. If you aint from the south or in the south you get no love. They want to hear ppl they can relate to. Ppl who live their lifestyle. In CA (especially Northern CA) everybody want to hear ppl they have NOTHING in common with. They figure if I can go to a club and have a drink with Indecent I'm not buying his CD. Out here, they will buy your CD BECAUSE they can have a drink with you. Now dont get me wrong, they also love West Coast Music (I've sold more records here in 6 months than the last 2-3 years in CA) we just dont reach them. Most ppl out here have ONLY heard of E-40, Too Short, Snoop, Dre, and The Game. No Mac Dre, no Jacka, no Mess, etc etc. So much so I'm ready to reach out to yall to promote Cali music out here. They fuck with us, we just dont come out here to promote anything on a big level. That said, above all, Atlanta fucks with niggas from Atlanta. They buy their records, pack their shows, etc. etc. There are niggas out here that most of us have never heard of that are RICH AS FUCK from operating in the south ONLY. And they ppl out here love to see they own eating because they feel like they could to. Back home, if a nigga really eating, niggas hate all day until nobody eating. We got just as much (if not more) talent and hustle as the south. The ppl just dont support their own. Until that happens the West will always lag behind. Just my two cents from what I've seen in 10+ years being involved in independent music.....
100% FACTUAL!!!!!!

Dec 26, 2004
www.slapmaster.net
Lol you ask for my input but automatically say I'm not right and shoot my response down... You obviously don't know WTF your talking about, the Midwest is a Huge market for Bay area music whether you choose to acknowledge it.. Probably the biggest market outside of Northern Cali..
I agreed with your post that the midwest is if not THEE biggest market.. im saying that i think its not a big enough market to sustain a real healthy music career in todays game... calm down now lol homie its all good lol. I think we need to think bigger then just the few markets the Bay has and go for the big ones like NY,LA,TX,ATL,FLD (How? i dont know? thats anybodies interpretation ) - thats what will really bring us back to the forefront of the rap game in my opinion.