Where can they Bay improve?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2006
What is the one aspect of Bay Area rap that needs the most improvement (lyrics, production, image, subject matter, performances, etc.). Be critical... There are all types of artist on this board and they need to hear this shit.

Jan 18, 2006
it would have to be subject matter, i swear all i hear is scrapper, hyphy, going dumb, get stupid, and blow your brains out and jack you for your shit and better watch your broad cuz im fucken her when you thought she was at her moms,

lyrics, production and images are all strong points that bay artists have, the production was lacking for a little bit but now folks are stepping they game up.

Feb 10, 2006
I'd say Lyrics:

I wanna them to bring back all that Hardcore East Bay Shit like it was in the 90s. Now a day a lot of the music is too poppy, just so they can play it on the radio/BET/MTV/etc.

Look at old music from da Bay or the South - Spice or Scarface: 95% of their old songs could not be played on the radio because like more than half of the song would be edited out, their songs would be like 55 seconds.

Shit needs to be harder.

kle

Sicc OG
Nov 22, 2005
realmobfather said:
just so they can play it on the radio/BET/MTV/etc.
I think thats what all artists aim for. A fan base that can stretch beyond the bay. I mean all the hyphy shit gets too much sometimes so i just choose to listen to some mob figaz or something else until i can start listening to hyphy club bangers again. But def. support the bay.

Feb 10, 2006
You still can make a single that is GANGSTA- Look at songs like Tupac - Changes or Dear Mama, Akon- The Ghetto, Ice Cube - It was a Good Day or Until We Rich, Spice 1 - Welcome to the Ghetto, Down payment on Heaven, or Nobody wants work, Too $hort - The Ghetto.

All of thoses Songs were played on the radio and all of them were tight. Its not like they have to say a lot of bad words, not make a song gangsta. Look at Spice 1's Welcome to the Ghetto that shit is real and hard without any cuss words.

So what they should do is make a hard CD, all but like two tracks should be hard. Then have two tracks that can be played on the radio/TV.

Apr 26, 2004
show more love to the non-gangsta, street, thug hip-hop artists such as hiero, zion i, planet asia... those cats names need to mentioned in the same sentence as san quinn and the jacka when it comes to bay area hip-hop.

Dec 15, 2005
i would say get rid of all this hyphy and thizzin bullshit.Get rid of all the albums that sound like they belong in a club.Come a little harder on the mic with gangsta lyrics.People from the bay might consider the music gangsta but ive heard gangsta rap alot harder then what is considered gangsta in the bay.Instead of just having two aight lines in each song have every lyric be tight.They need to take it back to the 90's.Get off mac dres nuts!!!its cool to show dude respect but let dude rest in peace.if the bay would do all this the music would be a lot better.

Nov 16, 2005
EastSideOfKC said:
i would say get rid of all this hyphy and thizzin bullshit.Get rid of all the albums that sound like they belong in a club.Come a little harder on the mic with gangsta lyrics
i SOMEWHAT agree. this hyphy movement ISN'T gonna go away, or at least soon. it has just started outside of the bay and we're getting more recognition, so of course we're still gonna put out hyphy tracks.. even though it does seem way too repetitive. however, yeah, good quality lyrics would be good too. a mix/variations to the types of music are always good to appeal to more audiences. (for example the contrast between balance's 'gotta get it' and 'it is what it is,' or mistah fab's son of a pimp album, or san quinn's rock album)

also, the bay can improve on the bullshit bay beef. i know this has been said many times in too many threads, but it still seems like artists don't get the picture and some random disagreement or whatnot still pops up. beef will never go away, but itd be cool to see less of it and more agreements blahblah. it's all 'bout unity and getting things done together. however, the bay has actually done good deal of collaborating with each other though.. look at all the huge bay remixes or just the tell me when to go video.. that's good to see.

Nov 16, 2005
oh yeah, and what about alll our bay area music fans and supporters actually buying and supporting artists???? hahah well it was also good to see how freakiin good 'the rock' did on his first week. we needa continue this.