When someone NEW from the bay drops....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 20, 2005
every NEW bay album i seen for YEARS got KNOWN BAY ARTISTS on they shit but nobody know who the artist is who CD it actually is. like lets say "gorilla pits" (this is just an example) nobody knew who they were a few years ago right. then they drop an album and get keak and turf talk, the jacka and now they right in the bay area scene. They doin features and shit right.

What if they never had dropped with no KNOWN artists. would they still get love?

this is just what i been thinkin bout cuz it seem like EVERYONE who drop in the bay in order to even get LISTENED too you gotta have someone who people already heard of. If you dont got nobody who is known nobody is going to fuck wit you just because they aint heard of your shit.

so lets say now you pay gorilla pits a G for a verse and cash out Keak a couple racks for a verse. your shit probobly gon do way better than if you had just you and your turf.... Seem like a lot of bay artist be havin HELLA features......

to sum it up im my question is "is it possible for UNKOWN independent artists from the bay to become KNOWN without big name features?"

Oct 20, 2005
www.myspace.com
I think it's possible.. I'm taking the independent route and buliding a name for myself. I think having features is good too though. It gives you a little bit more credibility if you working with those known artists and gives the impression of " oh, he's hot that's why he's working with them ".

honestly, I would rather take it solo and show my skills / talent just by ME. I don't want to bandwagon anyones hype but create me Own. And yup, there IS hella features on hella albums that I see.... that's cool and all but I say, show some solo skills and creating and arranging a song yourself.

Oct 20, 2005
^yea i feel that mayn thats some coo shit do you

seem like these days u either gotta be put out by someone who already got their foot in the door or you do what every other unkown rapper from the bay does get hella features.

Oct 20, 2005
www.myspace.com
Yeah anyone can get features, but the people that don't know how easy it is, they'll go " oh shit, he's doin a song with blah blah ". It just sounds good for the ear but us folks who are in the industry, know that u can get any feature u want as long as you got the money or connects.

Oct 20, 2003
www.myspace.com
some people cant survive whole albums w/o features...
some cant survive with features...

personally my group talks about having features but i dont think we're gonna do it on our first project even though we already made songs with Husulah, Lil Ric, Grope 1, Fatal Konnektion, Harm, Pete Eruption and Daz...

a few of them are already on CONCRETE Music Compilation but the others are stored away...

the reason i dont wanna have features on our shit is because thats the only song people might wanna listen to if i had lets say tha jacka featured on that shit. I want muthafuckas to listen from beginning to end and judge us and not us against the features...

until then

Loose Cannons
Lock N Load (subject to change)
coming soon

May 5, 2005
True, artist need to pick more carefully who they work with. I hate hearing wack rappers with features to pad they album. In my opinion the Bay has WAYYYY too many features and compilations. WAAAAAY too many. Its almost like a joke. There's about 500 compilations in the bay every week comming out. Why dont nobody just make one album for themselve like they used to do back in the day. How can you blow up when your solo sounds like a comp.?>

Oct 20, 2005
www.myspace.com
Doc truth, I feel you on that subject. A lot of people get the features just to acquire the tastes of fans of those features. So people buy they albums just cause they have they favorite rapper on them.

There is tons of releases by new artists and they got hella features on them..but it's so stupid when you hear the feature rip the artist on his own track.

I'm doin the solo route completely, I'm pushing out my product with no features ( well nothing planned ), I do all my own beats and arrange my own songs. I figured I should show my talent/skill solo instead of having someone else share it with me, I guess I'm greedy.

And the way I look at it, when you have a feature from the Bay ( not to hate on the established bay artists ), there's tons of other weak artists who have that same dude on they track.

So basically it's killing off the " Awe Value " to having that known artist on they track cause everybody and they mama's have that same dude.

Oct 20, 2005
www.myspace.com
http://www.siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?t=164947

Check my thread out. I just released a new song called " Just the way I want it ". I got out of the Bay sound scene and took the mainstream type of vibe route. I arranged the song myself and the other songs too. ( www.myspace.com/amkidd )

My song " Bay wit it " got on KMEL and is still on it.

So I made it this far ( plenty more to go ) without any features or connects.

I believe SOLO is the way to go but NETWORKING is a must.

Dec 9, 2005
I feel that ish yo. I dropped my first album "Blockvenom" with no features on some illmatic shit. I only sold 4k units. My new album I got Clyde Carson of the Team on the single "Strip For Me". Already I got more of a buzz than I did with the first joint. I only put one feature on it though. I didnt want to break half my budget on other nuckas shinin on my ish na mean. Now Im like fuk it Im gonna gorilla this shit with tours shows and mixtapes fuck breadin out racks on features.
Check some tracks:
www.myspace.com/prophlogic
www.sonicbids.com/prophet3
www.prophlogic.com

Apr 7, 2004
BACK IN THE DAY WHEN CATS HAD REALLY NO FEATURES YOU GOT ALL OF THAT ARTISTS...AND GOT A FEEL TO WHOM YOU WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THAT ARTIST ON A SONG WITH..THAT WAS THE SHIT..IT'S LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSE TO HAPPEN THAT WAY WHEN YOU WOULD HERE YOUR 2 FAVORITES FINALLY COLAB.....I THINK A NEW CAT SHOULD MAKE A VOICE..CREATE HIS/HER SPACE IN THIS HERE SHIT AND THEN A NATURAL COLAB WILL SURFACE..YA KNOW. JUST MY TAKE ON THE SUBJECT...ME WITH BAY ARTISTS i WOULD WANT QUINN,LOCK,TURF TALK AND THAT'S IT...BUT THAT'S AFTER THE LISTENERS WOULD APPRECIATE HEARING ME ALONG WITH THESE ESTABLISHED ARTISTS....MY STYLE + THEY STYLE = GOOD SONG..A GOOD COLAB THAT SHOULD HAPPEN..NOT JUST BECAUSE I BROKE A LIL BREAD. FEEL IT.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Every rapper period has too many features on thier albums. Every rappers new single has a feature on it, thats just how it is nowadays. No one has faith in their own talent these days.

Jan 6, 2004
www.myspace.com
moneymotivated said:
every NEW bay album i seen for YEARS got KNOWN BAY ARTISTS on they shit but nobody know who the artist is who CD it actually is.

so lets say now you pay gorilla pits a G for a verse and cash out Keak a couple racks for a verse. your shit probobly gon do way better than if you had just you and your turf.... Seem like a lot of bay artist be havin HELLA features......

to sum it up im my question is "is it possible for UNKOWN independent artists from the bay to become KNOWN without big name features?"

thats what u gotta do to get heard out here....as an artist who will have some big names on the album....im doin it for that very reason to get heard....but all the cats i fuck with and feature on my shit is cats i know or certain plugs through people....like the producers i fuck with got hella plugs to artists and you build a relationship with those artists...everyone in the bay is legimately just a phone call away..an alotta cats will do shit for treez, blow, cris whatever you hustlin everybody a hustler yadamean..i think your over estimating the price cats charge folks...if you get it plugged from ya dood then ya in business..im blown just my two pennies

Jul 20, 2002
moneymotivated said:
answer..no. Nobody in the Bay has that kind of ear that's going to give you a chance so you need to have tons of features. Any artist coming out of the Bay doing something different needs to pursue other places to bubble like overseas.