Whats with all these dudes trying to SELL beats...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2002
Half the time the beats they make that I've seen on here sound like the shit on the bottom of my shoe when I take steps on the pavement and they wanna be sellin' them for tons of cash...

Whatever happened to a dude who can make beats... and a dude who can rap collaborating because they both know they got skill and see some future in something....

I'm never gonna lay fucking money down on a beat...

"Yo man, I heard your cd... those beats are DOPE, you make em?"

"Nah man, I bought em for 100 bucks each..."

How fucking stale is that?

Comeon... any heads agree?

Nov 7, 2002
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
well nic,
I SEE WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM,
I LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS....
THEY ARE ALL NOT PROS, BUT THEY ARE ON THEY WAY {UNLESS THEY GIVE IN TO THE WAY OF THE WORLD}
EVERYONE HAD TO START SOMEWHERE
AND WOULD 50 CENTS BE AS BIG TODAY IF IT WERE NOT FOR THAT KID WHO TAKES OTHERS BEAT FROM UNDER THEY NOSE?
NOT EVRYONE CAN BE....
ARTISTS,PRODUCER,MANGAGER,PROMOTIONS DIR.,JANITOR,POOLBOY,HYPE MAN
HELL IT THIS INDUSTRY FOLKS GOT A TEAM OF TITLES TO MAKE $$$$
{PEE DIDDY'S HITMEN}
AND THE C.E.O.
TAKES ALL THE PROPS
ALSO HAVE TO HEARD OF KING TEE?
THAT DUDE HAD 2 DEEJAYS

BOTTOM LINE THEY JUST TRYING TO NETWORK
AND GET THEY NAME OUT THERE
I AIN'T MAD AT THEM

May 2, 2002
From my experience, networking for free was a problem, being the beatmaker. That means I have to depend on the artist to pay me after the fact, especially if I was first starting out and didn't understand shit about my publishing or how to register for that shit. So getting money up front is a good idea for a lot of producers. Either that, or negotiating a deal with the artist, for instance, trading for verses, if the producer is doing his own compilation, or maybe for some weed, etc...

Even if you're dealing with your best friend, money can change a lot of things once it starts coming in.

May 7, 2002
Yea... I guess so...

I personally though, would never buy a beat off some dude I didn't even know... i'd want to be aquainted with the maker first so that our work was consistent with one another's

May 7, 2002
I wouldn't take Dr. Dre's beat...

fuck no...

I had the direction that motherfucker went in...

even if he were to throw me it for free.... I might make some gangster parody or somethin... nothin' serious though!

DRE, throw me a beat!

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
SOME PEOPLE MAKE BEATS JUST TO DO IT....SOME PEOPLE DO IT AS A PROFESSION....IF YOU WANT FREE BEATS GO TO MP3.COM AND SOUNDCLICK AND HAVE YOURSELF A BALL...JUST DONT BE TRYIN TO SELL THAT SHIT IF YOU AINT GOT AT THEM ABOUT IT

Sep 30, 2003
www.ogdogg.com
I sell my beats because I spend countless hours working on them... If an artist can't afford to throw down $20 for a beat then why would I even want to work with him? The artist is the one who's name goes on the song and even gets all the money from sales (usually)... So why even bother making beats if I can't get $20 for a few hours work on a dope beat? All these MC's gettin beats for free and making shitty songs is what clogs up these music sites and makes it harder for real artists and producers like myself to make it... I charge money also to assure that the song comes out hot... 99% of the time these artists wanting free beats are horrible and make shitty songs out of them... Charging a few bucks keeps the weak MC's away and keeps me working with motivated artists trying to make something of themselves.. Not some loser broke kid with no skillz trying to make music cuz he thinks it's easy and he'll make a million dollars for wack shit...

Sep 30, 2003
www.ogdogg.com
I sell my beats because I spend countless hours working on them... If an artist can't afford to throw down $20 for a beat then why would I even want to work with him? The artist is the one who's name goes on the song and even gets all the money from sales (usually)... So why even bother making beats if I can't get $20 for a few hours work on a dope beat? All these MC's gettin beats for free and making shitty songs is what clogs up these music sites and makes it harder for real artists and producers like myself to make it... I charge money also to assure that the song comes out hot... 99% of the time these artists wanting free beats are horrible and make shitty songs out of them... Charging a few bucks keeps the weak MC's away and keeps me working with motivated artists trying to make something of themselves.. Not some loser broke kid with no skillz trying to make music cuz he thinks it's easy and he'll make a million dollars for wack shit...

Aug 12, 2002
Synths and Drum Machines and Recording equipment cost a LOT of money. Therefore, beats aren't free.

Let me put it this way - which would you be able to tolerate better: a song with a good beat and garbage lyrics, or a song with a garbage beat and good lyrics? Most people would choose the one with the better beat, meaning that the beat is more important than the lyrics to most people.

You get what you pay for when it comes to beats. Someone selling their beats for $75 either isn't serious about music (and may not know the technical aspects like mixing, etc), or doesn't think his music is more valuable than that.

It takes a lot longer to make the music for a full song than it does to write the lyrics for it, so why shouldn't the person spending many hours to fine-tune a beat get paid?

I don't see anyone around here asking outragous prices. They're actually very cheap for what you get.

-=bumpus=-

Apr 25, 2002
www.2siccaudio.com
I'll just say this. To a person making a beat they must be trying to make some money out of something they like to do. There's nothing wrong with that. If you think that their beats are weak then you simply have to do one thing, DON'T BUY THEM! If someone wants to come along and buy the beat then it's on them.

I can understand how you want to have more of a close collaboration with the producer of your album, but sometimes people can't get together or spend that kind of money, so it's up to them to purchase a beat from someone. I agree with siccnicc on not buying a beat online or through someone without at least talking to them, but I don't agree that people should stop selling them here or anywhere. If people want to take a chance on a beat by buying it online or over the phone then that's fine, there ain't nothing wrong with that.

Don't knock people for trying to make some cash, just simply don't go for it if it ain't for you.

Late!

May 7, 2002
Yea, you guys are right... I'd just rather hook up with a dude whom I know is equally good at rhyming as I am making beats or vice versa and put down some shit for the hell of it...

But hey... it doesn't always take longer to make a beat than it does to write a song... unless of course your comparing simple ass songs and ill beats...