Whats harder? releasing your 1st or 2nd album? (for record labels)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 27, 2002
THIS MAY BE A LITTLE OFF TOPIC, BUT HAVE YOU NOTICED A TREND CALLED THE "SOPHMORE SLUMP"
EXAMPLE..
ARTIST A DROP HIS FIRST ALBUM.....ITS A STR8 CLASSIC AND YOU LOVE IT....

THEN HE DROP ALBUM 2, THIS ALBUM IS MEDIOCRE....WORTH A COUPLE OF PLAYS AND YOU TRY HARD TO LOCVE IT LIKE THE FIRST...BUT SOMETHINGS MISSING.....ALBUM COLLECTS DUST ON YOUR SHELF

ALBUM 3 DROPS .....OK MAYBE YOU GIVE IT A CHANCE....BUT THIS ALBUM BARELY GETS ANY SALES DUE TO THE SEMI FAILURE OF THE 2ND

seems sometimes the material just looses quality after time or the artist looses the same "hunger" they had on the 1st album....sometimes the $$$ plays a factor....(listen to snoop older shit vs the snoop of today)

jusy my $4.15

Aug 15, 2002
I'm not part of a label or anything but I did this project for one of my classes and I would think that the first one would be harder cause you have establish yourself as an artist, plus you have to establish distribution, manufacturing, etc. Also, a lot of people go into the music industry without any knowledge about it thinking that their talent alone will make them successful. You probably learn a lot from the first to the second album. Also, you almost never make a profit on the first album.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

May 20, 2002
the 2nd by far is harder.....can't put out number 2 if you went broke putting out number 1.....but then again everybody that
puts out an album nowdays sells 5,000 out they trunk right!!!

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
I guess it depends on which standpoint you look at it from:

The first album was hard becuz it was a new artist from a new label... etc... and there was an even steeper uphill climb..

But I'd say the 2nd album was a challenge too... becuz most folks don;t recoup off the first and some don;t even break even.. so financially it can be hard. It got a lil easer when we got to album #4 becuz we had great relationships established and the retailers were familiar with our product and were confident in it.

Oct 4, 2002
510outtapocket.com
mustynutz said:
THIS MAY BE A LITTLE OFF TOPIC, BUT HAVE YOU NOTICED A TREND CALLED THE "SOPHMORE SLUMP"
EXAMPLE..
ARTIST A DROP HIS FIRST ALBUM.....ITS A STR8 CLASSIC AND YOU LOVE IT....

THEN HE DROP ALBUM 2, THIS ALBUM IS MEDIOCRE....WORTH A COUPLE OF PLAYS AND YOU TRY HARD TO LOCVE IT LIKE THE FIRST...BUT SOMETHINGS MISSING.....ALBUM COLLECTS DUST ON YOUR SHELF

ALBUM 3 DROPS .....OK MAYBE YOU GIVE IT A CHANCE....BUT THIS ALBUM BARELY GETS ANY SALES DUE TO THE SEMI FAILURE OF THE 2ND

seems sometimes the material just looses quality after time or the artist looses the same "hunger" they had on the 1st album....sometimes the $$$ plays a factor....(listen to snoop older shit vs the snoop of today)

jusy my $4.15
i saw a nelly interview where he said he waited his whole life to make his first album... the second was made in just a year.....

May 21, 2002
hogglife916.com
I'D SAY THE HARDEST THING IS SURVIVING ALL THE BULLSHIT THAT COMES YOUR WAY . THE MUSIC INDUSTRY IS MADE SO THAT THE GIANT ( the industry ) PROFITS REGARDLESS AND YOU ( the lil guy ) HAVE TO WAIT FOR YOUR MONEY ON THE BACKEND OF THE WHOLE DEAL .