Whats a good beat program for a beginner??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Kayne

Sicc OG
Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
i started of with reason 2 now they got reason 4 out. anyway thats a good eazy program for a beginner. later on when you get the producing deal its a good idea to move on to like cubase/logic and start with VST. reason dont suport VST but you can do pretty good shit on it.

Apr 26, 2006
If your more into using samples (drumloops and such), perhaps try a program like Acid.

I use FL7, for me it just doesn't get any easier. To each his own.

You might also want to try "Orion Platinum 7." It's VERY similiar to FL Studio, but you might like it better.

synapse-audio.com/orionplatinum.php

Sep 25, 2006
I would say Reason 3 would be the best choice to start with, then once you have spent a good 6/12 months learning that DAW move upto 4 then it should'nt be as confusing for you.

Also pick up a midi controller as you'll benifit alot with having one, rather than drawing everything with the mouse ect.

Sep 6, 2006
I would say Reason 3 would be the best choice to start with, then once you have spent a good 6/12 months learning that DAW move upto 4 then it should'nt be as confusing for you.

Also pick up a midi controller as you'll benifit alot with having one, rather than drawing everything with the mouse ect.
Co-Sign ^

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
no matter what you choose its gonna be confusing at first and the first beats you make will sound like shit.

I like using reason, plus you can use it with other higher end software like logic/cubase/pro tools with rewire and have the effects on those programs with reason.

if you're into sampling and you're on PC then use fruity loops.....I've never used it since I'm on mac, but I heard its pretty simple and plus you can use VST's

also there's tutorials all over the internet on each program

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
First I recommend using the search tool because there have been COUNTLESS threads on this before.

Second, why start with something sub-par? Best thing you can do is get something that is gonna take time and effort to learn and get good at it. If the talent is there, it's there.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I agree with Mark 7.

I recommend starting with Cubase SX as it is advanced yet extremely easy to grasp and get control of after watching some tutorials and understanding the basics. You Tube is great for tutorials. Multitracking wise, sequencing midi, editing midi, working with audio, editing audio, adding effects, time stretching samples, all very easy to do in Cubase

You'll need a decent sound card / audio device (I recommend an M-Audio product to get you started as they are affordable) and a decent midi controller, again, M-Audio Axiom is nice, and some headphones (Sony MDR 7506's) if you can't yet afford Monitors (KRK's are nice and very affordable.)

You'll also need a handful of VST/VSTi and Plugins. You'll need to build your drum library. I recommend Native Instruments Battery 3.

Once you learn Cubase SX (A year or two of using it) you can move on to something like Pro Tools 7.4 M-Powered if you do purchase an M-Audio soundcard, and learn the industry standard.

Reason, I recommend getting this also, but only to Rewire it into something like Cubase or Pro Tools. Strictly as a DAW, Reason doesn't meet the standards, it's more or less an excellent rack of instruments, modules and effects.

Research. Plan. Budget. Purchase. Execute.

Jun 12, 2007
www.mybeatshop.com
Reason has always been the "Center" of my studio, here is a rundown of how I use it - Open the program in Rewire with Pro Tools, I have a template that I made from scratch that sets every channel in reason to its own assigned channel, not just 1 stereo instrument track. I start producing from my Reason sound library drums, synths, little effects etc. Then when I need to bring in better plugins I make some busses in Pro Tools for better reverb, drum busses and so on. I mix with the Reason mixer and use the Pro Tools mixer for more precise control of the overall sound. Using Reason this way gives you the best of Reason's potential not to mention you can use "Any Software Plugin You Want" and "Any Software Synth You Want". This works on most DAW applications!!! Best of luck Dawg - Magnitude 9