What would you have done?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 18, 2004
SAUSALITO
One in a million -- Good Samaritan turns in purse full of jewels
Hiker finds tourists' Louis Vuitton bag on park bench
Cicero A. Estrella, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Shahla Ghannadian cried Sunday for most of the flight home to Toronto. Hours earlier, while sightseeing in Sausalito, her husband lost her Louis Vuitton purse.

But it wasn't just any Louis Vuitton purse. This one contained jewelry worth more than $1 million.

Ghannadian held out hope, but knew the chances of recovering the valuables were slim.

So the phone call from Sausalito police on Monday came as a shocker. San Rafael resident John Suhrhoff had found the purse and turned it over to police with all its contents -- including a Cartier watch, diamond and ruby rings, pearl earrings, necklaces with large diamond stones, and $500 in cash.

"My mom started to cry again and my dad became very emotional, too," Ghannadian's 28-year-old son, Ali Khalili, said of the phone call. "That was a big deal. There are still good people in this world."

Ghannadian had left her husband in charge of the purse for a just few minutes while sightseeing in Sausalito, and he must have forgotten it on a park bench, Ali Khalili said.

Ghannadian realized the purse was missing as the family was at their San Francisco hotel room, preparing to leave for the airport. They rushed back to Sausalito but could not find the purse.

Sausalito police said Suhrhoff found the purse Sunday on a park bench behind a bank on Bridgeway Street.

Suhrhoff took the purse to Sausalito police Monday and asked nothing in return, according to police Sgt. Kurtis Skoog.

"He left his name and address, but not to get a reward," Skoog said. "He said, 'If they want to thank me, here's my information.' ''

Suhrhoff, a 56-year-old respiratory therapist, told the Associated Press he found the purse during a lunch break while hiking.

"Every person I know or associate with would have done the same thing,'' he said about his good deed. "I'm glad to be able to help."

Ghannadian, her husband, Said Khalili, and their two sons had been in the Bay Area to attend the Friday wedding of Ghannadian and Khalili's daughter.

Ali Khalili said his mother was upset mostly because the jewelry had sentimental value. Some of the pieces had been handed from one generation to the next in her native Iran, he said.

"Everyone was upset," Ali Khalili said. "We were just hoping that maybe some good person had come by."

May 31, 2005
if u could just forget or lose some shit like that, you dont deserve to have it. but like rich said i'd keep the cash and return the rest

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
^You wouldn't have known it was a million worth of jewels. From the pics they have showed, a lot of it looked like costume jewelry, which is probably why duder returned it. I would have returned it, too, but minus a few diamonds for my 'troubles'.

Nov 21, 2005
www.revver.com
like someone said..
of your dumb enough to leave a Million
than you should'nt even have it..

If i found it Id say it was my lucky day...
but for real that guy was dumb to forget about it..

Oh yea its only a bag full of a millions dollars worth of jewls and money...

people forget their Mcdonald's Big Mac.. bag on a bench..
but nobody in their right mind would lose
a million in jewls...
so yea id keep it.. and cash out...

peacee

Dec 9, 2005
I honestly would have kept it...but I wouldn't have been hiking on my lunch break in the first place.

Damn...that sucks...they didn't mention if he was given a reward...if he wasn't I would've felt like an ass for turning in the stuff.

Apr 11, 2003
Broadbeach, AUSTRALIA
Turned it all in no question even if it was $1million in crisp c-notes. I don't believe into lottery's or easy money.

On the side note...I posted this here few months ago but a family friend of ours lost $50,000 in cash when he left his wallet on the roof of the car, and he got it all back when someone found it in th street.

Jun 18, 2004
FILA|AUS said:
Turned it all in no question even if it was $1million in crisp c-notes. I don't believe into lottery's or easy money.

On the side note...I posted this here few months ago but a family friend of ours lost $50,000 in cash when he left his wallet on the roof of the car, and he got it all back when someone found it in th street.
Fifty thou in cash!?!? That must be a big fucking wallet.

Jun 9, 2004
to all you dumbasses who say KARMA.
how do u know that this isnt your GOOD karma?
maybe they killed some people to get them jewels, & losing it is their bad karma.

you just fucked up those who situation!

May 1, 2003
I woulda kept it , no question about it.

I gotta question for all those who said they would've returned it. If someone close to you found it and you had no control over what they decided and they were able to get about $300,000 cash for it. What would you do? Would you just sit back and watch them enjoy the money?