What should i buy besides my E-MU?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wold

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
I get a E-MU Planet Phatt off of E-bay today and i what to pay some more should more SoundRacks but i don't know what else to Buy?

I need real sounds but i don't what to buy thing more then $400 or $600

I what to do two kinds of beats. THE BAYAREA SHIT THAT I HAVE BEEN IN LOVE WITH SICE I WAS A KID AND SOME DARK ASS SHIT THAT YOU WOULD THINK CAME FORM A MADMAD. I have the mind to do both but i need some good sounds.

Reason was not cutting it for what i want to do and i'm not posting up anybeats or sending out Demos to cats right now cause i feel i don't have the are shit yet to make the beats.

Any Help would be fucking killer.
Thanks

kevp

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2004
not sure if you knew, but reason can't record audio in. Meaning if your using Reason as a stand-alone, you wont be able to use the sounds from your Rack. You'd have to record any sound you want to use as a .wav, then import it into the NNXT (or NN19). Which you wouldnt be able to do if you don't have a MIDI controller or a keyboard with MIDI out.

Best thing to do, would be to buy some quality refills (or sample cds) and a dedicated, velocity sensetive MIDI controller. Check out Doru Malia. Has some wierd ass sounds, but most of em are dope.

The malstrom can make some insane sounds as well. Mess around with the peq2 and the bv512 and you can get some real nice sounds out of reason.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Yep them refil packs in reason are like little mini modules in themselves. I don't care what anyone says, if you really know how to use Reason that shit is the truth.

If you really want a module though I'd pick up one of those Roland 5080s I think its called, there is some tight sounds on one of those and you could probably get one of those on Ebay for a decent price.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
I agree software aint cheap,but I aint gonna say i will never use them,but Im a hardware man,I like my mpc 3000 If I didnt have that or somethin in that range I wouldnt even make beats.There is alot of great keyboard emulators and they sound good,but for example the moog emeulator,sounds real nice but you cant emulate those filters,It would be like comparing a mustang 6 cylinder , and 8 cylinder, they look the same but the 6 aint got no guts

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Wold said:
I think i'm more of a HardWere man too, but i don't know what i need.
If you on a budget and you tryin to do that dark grimy stuff, check out ebay i seen some ensoniq asrx on there at a cheap price,thats a dope lil machine, check the mirage, or eps by ensoniq as well check this site for all your questions you may have on equipment,check the manufacture and they have all models http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/index.cfm
also they have user reviews.Bein that you tryin to make older type of beats with dirty drums some of these are perfect cause they are a low bit samplers,some of these machines fetched a big price in there days and today are still capable of bangin out hits and there are professional producers that still use them

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Yeah Im an mpc man and probably alawys will be. I also have a motif rack, but if he is tryin to get that dark sound and is on a budget,the other things are in that price range,but I do see mpc 60 from time to time for$500 with the 3000 upgrade,I guess it all depends on what kind of money you workin on,if it was me I would save til I got me an mpc,when my 3000 blows,Im switchin to the 4000

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
I've said it before and I'll say it again......hardware is dead! I know you hardware heads ain't gonna feel me....but hey....to each his own.

VST instruments is where it's at. That's all I use these days. Cubase SX3 with Battery2 for drums and a shitload of VSTi's for everything else. They are so much more versatile and time saving. You don't have to sit there and record all the sounds in anymore....deal with analog noise.....recording levels....none of that shit.

Mind you I have 2 keyboards and 6 sound modules (pretty much all the EMU stuff) and I don't use any of them. I'll probably end up selling them sooner or later. I still have some old beats on them though so I can't let go of them yet.

VSTi's are the future....get with it or get left behind. EMU ain't even makin' the modules anymore....now you get a PCI card and a VSTi.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Mr. D-Sane said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again......hardware is dead! I know you hardware heads ain't gonna feel me....but hey....to each his own.

VST instruments is where it's at. That's all I use these days. Cubase SX3 with Battery2 for drums and a shitload of VSTi's for everything else. They are so much more versatile and time saving. You don't have to sit there and record all the sounds in anymore....deal with analog noise.....recording levels....none of that shit.

Mind you I have 2 keyboards and 6 sound modules (pretty much all the EMU stuff) and I don't use any of them. I'll probably end up selling them sooner or later. I still have some old beats on them though so I can't let go of them yet.

VSTi's are the future....get with it or get left behind. EMU ain't even makin' the modules anymore....now you get a PCI card and a VSTi.
To each his own I feel ya,I hope you are right so the prices go down on old hardware and I can buy some more.In alot of ways you are right and comparing vst to e.m.u. I guess I understand where you come to your conclusion.I feel it depends what you lookin for,and what you tryin to do,me personally I like to walk up power up my shit and get to work,not worrying of any computer issues,and yeah unlike my computer shit works each and everytime.But computers are getting more stable,faster and powerful.Software may be a lil cheaper but aint cheap.I will never(damn I should never say this) never go to an all computer based music studio.Is that why music today isnt as soulful,aint got the head snappin knok?Things are to easy and people prefer that and convenience.The days of the emulator,sp12 wtc where you had only a couple seconds of sample time made you be creative to sample(speeding up record then turning down tempo) Maybe it was stuff like this that sparked creativeness in the brains,now makin beats is affordable and so many are makin lifeless music.
Here is my best example
1. Get your favorite vst bass or lead.
2. get a studio electronics SE1 Or AtcX and use a bass or lead
3.now tell me if you hear a difference.
Dont worry if you are tone deaf you will be a ble to feel the difference cause them analog joints will get inside you ,and my point will be proven
Yes I know they make vst emulating moogs..hahahaha,cant emulate them filters though
Bottom line I have a motif its allright,I feel it could be replaced by vsts(but I LIKE BEIN STABLE AND a hardware man) But there is somethin when i use my jp8000 and turn one of the 24 knobs,or one of the 16 sliders and it adjust those parameters,no mouse no worries of crashin no headaches just fun......

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Hardware will always be superior when it comes to selling studio time. People are visual and when they see a lot of gadgets, modules, keyboards etc they get happy. When they walk into a room and all they see is a computer they think "wtf this isn't a studio, this guy doesn't make tight shit" and pretty much LEAVE him in the dust. The sad part about that is the guy with the smaller setup probably knows his shit inside and out.

Aug 4, 2005
www.flossalini.com
I don't make beats... but I can. Why.... because... I've seen lot's of fluff in big studios not get used at all. The neptunes use a lil ass synthasizer to bang out simple catchy beats. If you learn your equipment (hardware or Computer) you can compete with anybody. I know some kat's blowinn studio doors off with dun dun dun da dun..... "Fruity Loops"(no they don't use pre-made loops). All you need is sounds... and you can make some your self(dig thru your kids toys, or throw pots). Or learn to tweak the sounds you have into other sounds. Sky's the limit... but creativity is the key. "Drop it like it's hot" has Pharell beat boxin on the beat... so the human body produces sounds like no automated machine can.

Oh Yeah... Welcome Back Heresy.... fuck a "Nazi Mod"! Whut I said it....

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
VSTi's offer a level of flexibility that hardware can't give me during the creative process. And I used to be the leader of the "I'LL NEVER STOP USING HARDWARE" group. I'm singing a different song now fellas. I love these things.....and they're getting better everyday. But I feel you though....there's just no replacing that true analog sound.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
@ Floss good lookin out!! LOL!

And just to let everyone know I don't even use the majority of romplers I own. Out of 8 modules, four keyboard workstations, a sampler, a drum machine and an mpc 4000 guess what I use? One keyboard (motif es). Everything else is eye candy or its in storage waiting for me to snatch it, for when I open the doors to the public. I've made my money back from my investments, I KNOWeach piece inside and out...well I don't know the karma and mpc 4000 all that well (I was NEVER an mpc head) but I know how to make something on each machine.

The point I'm trying to make is hardware can eat your $$$$ and if you're not careful you may end up not using and let's not forget space. I don't have enough space here for all that plus my different sets of monitors, guitars, amps, outboard gear and 2 computers.

For $0.00 you can try all the software and sounds you need but you have to know where to look. Take the time out and become familiar with the three different types of audio programs:

SEQUENCERS/MULTI TRACKS: Pro Tools, Cubase sx (my favorite), digital performer,sampletude, logic 7 etc.

TWO TRACK EDITING: Sound Forge, Wavelab etc.

LOOPER: Acid, Live, Magix (These can also be grouped as a sequencer/multitrack.)

Now for VST's I suggest Mach 5, Sample Tank and one more I don't want you to know about ;)

Try the software out BEFORE you spend your cash on hardware.

Apr 25, 2002
well thing is D-sane, you probably don't own one piece of analog gear...
what you own is VIRTUAL ANALOG, it's hardware, with computerized samples in it...
when you look at the Motif it's one of the most powerful hardware synths out, it holds 512mb of sounds
i have drum kits on my comp that are 260 mb
i have piano sounds that are over a gig

now where you lose out i think is appregiators and quantizing

Status
Not open for further replies.