What resources does the bay need to make sure its artists are successful?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
What resources do the bay need to make sure its artists are successful?

From time to time I check the Bay Area Top 20 albums. I rarely see a local artist on there. Because there are so many people on here who are local artists or connected to them, I would like to ask, why aren’t we consistently on that list?

Excluding quality or sound of the music being put out, what business services and/or resources are Bay Area artist lacking when it comes to being successful? Are they not getting legal representation, not marketing themselves correctly? Even if it is in comparison to the major artists on the charts, what do they have that locals don’t? I would like people be specific as possible, not answers like “they have money/ the machine behind them” What is that money being spent on?

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
Thanks for the reply. I hoping that nobody come in here to discount anything because I'm sure there are plenty of answers to the question. I'm just trying to compile a list of services that we are lacking.

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
I really don't intend to get into quality of music because it's a loaded topic. For the purposes of what I'm trying to understand about our local music industry, lets say the bay is making the best music in the country. I say that because we can all name wack music that tops the charts. I think that there is a lack of resources that prevents the music from generating revenue. I would like to know the resources we are lacking.

There are so many artists on siccness that have released music and I'm sure that have not yet reached the level of success that they want. From a business standpoint, what are the things holding us back?

Sep 24, 2007
You want to know how a bay artist can make it BIG?

1st: HAVE A SHIT LOAD OF TALENT AND THE RIGHT PRODUCER

2nd: DONT REP THE BAY ALL THE TIME IN EVERY SONG, HAVE A UNIVERSAL APPEAL

3rd: TAKE IT SERIOUS TREAT IT LIKE A JOB AND IF YOU GET A DEAL WORK YOUR ASS OFF ON IT AND BE WILLING TO TAKE A LOSS JUST TO GET YOUR NAME OUT THERE.

4th: PRAY TO GOD THEY PUSH YOUR PRODUCT AND PEOPLE FEEL. STILL DONT REP THE BAY, KEEP THAT SHIT TO YOURSELF UNTIL YOUR BIG ENOUGH TO DO IT. MAKE PEOPLE WONDER WERE YOUR FROM.

5th: WHEN YOU MAKE IT BIG DONT SELL OUT, BE ABOUT THE MUSIC, AND THEN START REPPING THE FUCK OUT OF THE BAY! BRING THE REST OF THE BAY WITH YOU!

May 29, 2008
www.reverbnation.com
MARKETING IS OUR DOWN FALL..... OUR MARKETING TO THE NATION IS LAKING AND HURTS OUR SALES IN MY OPINION.

We don't have "THE (RIGHT) CONNECTIONS" such as MAJOR LABEL REPS "CONSISTENTLY" COMING TO THE BAY TO SEE WHO IS HOT AND BUZZING, ROAD MANAGERS "THEY HOOK UP SHOWS", SPONSORS, OTHER REGIONAL MAGAZINES(BESIDES OZONE,STASH,XPOLSIVE) ect ect. Who ever dose this for the EAST COAST, MIDWEST, and SOUTH we need to get in contact with them constantly so we are on the same path as the other regions.

Indi is what we are in the bay, and its not a bad thing at all.......but you will only get so much exposer and are liable to be stuck in this region.

remember this is just my opinion.
I think more artists need management. Management that is after the best interest of the artist.

A manager's job is to help an artist develop his or her full talent and business potential. After all, music is a business. A good manager is qualified to render sound advice and guidance and is experienced in all phases of the industry including publishing, bookings, contracts, negotiations and the execution of all types of agreements in the best interest of the client. And if you have star quality, a sharp manager will sense it right away and, very importantly, know exactly what to do to get you moving.

www.myspace.com/gotmanger

Feb 15, 2008
MARKETING IS OUR DOWN FALL..... OUR MARKETING TO THE NATION IS LAKING AND HURTS OUR SALES IN MY OPINION.

We don't have "THE (RIGHT) CONNECTIONS" such as MAJOR LABEL REPS "CONSISTENTLY" COMING TO THE BAY TO SEE WHO IS HOT AND BUZZING, ROAD MANAGERS "THEY HOOK UP SHOWS", SPONSORS, OTHER REGIONAL MAGAZINES(BESIDES OZONE,STASH,XPOLSIVE) ect ect. Who ever dose this for the EAST COAST, MIDWEST, and SOUTH we need to get in contact with them constantly so we are on the same path as the other regions.

Indi is what we are in the bay, and its not a bad thing at all.......but you will only get so much exposer and are liable to be stuck in this region.

remeber this is just my opinion.

Road managers do not hook up shows they manage the artist on the road and work between the artist and the artist manager so the manager time is free up to handle business to bring in more money. We do have major label reps from the bay we do have major managers from the bay like Tina Davis who manages Chris Brown we do have inportant people from the bay at the bigger magazines. What we dont have in the bay is people putting out TRUE HITS that the world wants to hear. Lets just be honest here 98% of the time no bay artist has a true budget to really work there record and thats why there is no noise comming out the bay right now. You need to make better then good music and you need a real budget to work your record. putting 10k into a record is not going to make you a success if it was that easy then investors would be waiting in line to put out artist.

Dec 2, 2006
$$$$$$$$ and or a budget.

team players and artists that understand their jobs. Every person on a team is just as important as the artist. A plan that gets executed. Artists in the bay have the talent. that isn't the problem. Egos need to be checked in at the door. just because a few thousand fans reckognize you, doesn't mean you are a star. Higher expectations and humbling yourself. It's amazing how low the music scene in the bay has gotten. Obviously nobody is above the rest except a few artists and labels really eating off the music business. The rest need to quit lying and start keeping it real with themselves off top.

Aug 26, 2002
Hard Times
this is off topic.. but why do yall care if the bay "blows up"? i mean i want my favorite artists to make money and all but i dont want the douche down the block listening to mess or a-wax next to t-pain and soulja boy in his honda civic. and even when the bay started to kinda "blow up" it just meant all my favorite bay artists started doing hyphy songs or r & B club songs. i want dudes from the bay to get there money but id rather it didnt turn into a mainsteam thing

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
this is off topic.. but why do yall care if the bay "blows up"? i mean i want my favorite artists to make money and all but i dont want the douche down the block listening to mess or a-wax next to t-pain and soulja boy in his honda civic. and even when the bay started to kinda "blow up" it just meant all my favorite bay artists started doing hyphy songs or r & B club songs. i want dudes from the bay to get there money but id rather it didnt turn into a mainsteam thing
That's kinda how I'm looking at it. I'm not really asking in order to find ways for the bay to be mainstream. I'm looking for way for bay artist to dominate their own region, for the bay to be a self sustainable market. No one can say it cant be done, because plenty of other artists are making money out here.

Feb 15, 2008
your right about the bay music needs budget and quality........ but you named 1 person who manages a R&B artist and there is 1,ooo,ooo rappers in the bay lol....we need more MAJOR MANAGEMENT. There is alot of talet and music that is worthy of this management in the bay, WHERE ARE THEY AT?
to manage artist here in the bay who are doing most of there shows for free or less then 3k where is the money for the management?? What are managers going to bust they ass for 15% of nothing up to 3 grand. Major labels do not have the budgets to break brand new artist for the most part right now so it makes no sense to really get behind someone who is not selling records. Lets be real here we can count on our hands the artist who are selling over 20k units in the bay. LiL wayne latest album just sold 50k units in the bay alone soundscan. TI is already over 14k units sold in the bay alone soundscan. 40 sold over 70k on my ghetto report card in the bay So the rap buyers are here going to the stores they just dont like the product they are seeing on the shelves.