what REALLY makes a clear recording?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 2, 2006
And my advice to anyone reading this is just to make good music. All the technical shit is cool, but just make good music that you put some time into. Nah it ain't gonna magically make your tracks sound good, but a good work ethic goes a long way.
making good music is key but it dont matter how good it is if it sounds like shit. sound quality is probobly the #1 thing that will separate a professional from an amateur. DJ's tell me all the time we aint playin shit unless the sound quality is right. getting your tracks to sound professional is half of the battle anyway if you really care about your music you gotta spend time getting it perfect. i reccomend learning how to mix a little bit its part of the production

i mean how is it good music if u make 10000 beats and just bounce htem out straight from reason no fx no nothing you can still kinda hear the reason limiter and shit lol get ya shit straight

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
making good music is key but it dont matter how good it is if it sounds like shit. sound quality is probobly the #1 thing that will separate a professional from an amateur. DJ's tell me all the time we aint playin shit unless the sound quality is right. getting your tracks to sound professional is half of the battle anyway if you really care about your music you gotta spend time getting it perfect. i reccomend learning how to mix a little bit its part of the production

i mean how is it good music if u make 10000 beats and just bounce htem out straight from reason no fx no nothing you can still kinda hear the reason limiter and shit lol get ya shit straight
Next time do yourself a favor and read the entire post.

Nah it ain't gonna magically make your tracks sound good, but a good work ethic goes a long way.
I'm just lettin cats know that regardless of all the technical shit, you should concentrate on making good music, because a lot of the technical stuff can keep you so bogged down that you fail to look at the big picture and actually make music because you're so concerned about this converter, this program, recording with this sample rate, using this piece of gear, running that type of cable, using these type of speakers, etc.

The technical shit can be fixed in a matter of hours. Poor playing, poor writing, poor concepts, poor song structure, poor everything else can't.

Feb 2, 2006
Next time do yourself a favor and read the entire post.

I'm just lettin cats know that regardless of all the technical shit, you should concentrate on making good music, because a lot of the technical stuff can keep you so bogged down that you fail to look at the big picture and actually make music because you're so concerned about this converter, this program, recording with this sample rate, using this piece of gear, running that type of cable, using these type of speakers, etc.

The technical shit can be fixed in a matter of hours. Poor playing, poor writing, poor concepts, poor song structure, poor everything else can't.
yeah but the thing is i see a lot of people come up with some good concepts and shit and since they gotta good song they think recording it with lots of clipping and not mixing the beat and just having it sound like shit in general is gonna get them somewhere. lol. i actually recommend learning some of that shit as it has helped me and im still as creative as i would be as an uneducated musician - the more you learn the better youll do in life period

i do have one exception to this argument: dlo - he dont give a fuck about no hoe - shit sounded like it was recorded on a computer mic. he redidid it fo the radio though sounds good now

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
^thats why artists should stay artists and let the engineers do their job, nothing pisses me off more than buying an album and the mix sounds like my little brother did it

Apr 26, 2006
The main problem I hear with people and their home-made shit is problem with vocals. Either they sound like shit or not mixed right. Also the volume leveling of individual instruments. I hear some shit and I hear superloud hi-hats, washed out snare with no energy, bassline drowning out the whole beat,etc... Just over or under exaggerations on certain volumes.

I think everything else can be done decently on your own at track level, if you have any common sense knowledge. The panning of instruments, levels, EQ, Compression, etc... You SHOULD know if your shit is clipping. Main thing though, try to get your shit sounding as best as possible without resorting to too much FX like compression/EQ. Record it right in the first place or use the best possible sounds from the get go. If your drum sounds sound wack, ditch em. There's also nothing wrong IMO with using compression at the track level, especially if your trying to go after some sort of effect or add more emphasis. I usually always use it to glue my drums together especially or add some pop to a snare/clap.

Apr 25, 2002
one thing that it comes down to is the artist your recording!!!
if you're emcee has good technique, it's gonna sound good with little tweaking

i've recorded shit on a busted up aphex preamp with a Shure SM58 and had Heresy askin what the hell i was recording with cus it sounded so clean...

there's no substitue for a good artist

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
one thing that it comes down to is the artist your recording!!!
if you're emcee has good technique, it's gonna sound good with little tweaking

i've recorded shit on a busted up aphex preamp with a Shure SM58 and had Heresy askin what the hell i was recording with cus it sounded so clean...
there's no substitue for a good artist
He speaks the truth.

Feb 2, 2006
^yup that sound coo but these days u can get by with an mbox and a 90 dollar mic as long as u know a little somehting about mixing u good to go - plus u can get all them bootleg waves plugins and boost up your vocal 10x. not to say you wont get a better result on better gear but you can come close. like dude said on tweakhead - with a little money you can get into the 90 percentile as far as sound quality but that next 10% and 5% you will pay for dearly.