What mic should I buy?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 11, 2003
www.soundclick.com
Aiight, so I guess I'ma hafta cop that Baby Bottle then... u think I'll have good enough quality to release a professional album if I use a Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2 soundcard, ART MP Studio preamp, and the Baby Bottle mic?

HOLLLAAA!

Apr 26, 2002
Lil' Makk said:
Aiight, so I guess I'ma hafta cop that Baby Bottle then... u think I'll have good enough quality to release a professional album if I use a Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2 soundcard, ART MP Studio preamp, and the Baby Bottle mic?

HOLLLAAA!
The quality all depends on if "you" know what your doing.
The baby blue bottle is definetely a great mic, but its not just gonna magically sound professional.
Just my 2cents, not haten, just leting you know whats up.

Good luck

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Lil' Makk said:

HOLLLAAA!

If you sent your music to be engineered by a profesional, YES!

peace

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
One mic WILL NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE. While some mic's are tuned more flat and they tend to work better with a variety of different singers, the human voice is something that you can never be 100% sure on and just cause this person sounds great on mic "A" doesnt mean that, the next singer will.

While the Baby bottle is a great mic there are quite a few in that price range also.

Audio Technica 4040 - Great all around mic. $300

Audio Technica 4047 - Warm FET sound ( timbaland uses this mic ) $400-500

Audio Technica 4050 - More neutral sounding 3 postions - $600

Rode NTK - Tube mic great with deeper voiced singers, and one of the best bange for the buck PERIOD. hangs with the big boys. - $500

Shure KSM32 - Neutral sounding - $400 or so

Shure KSM44 - 3 Postions - warm low end - $700 - I've heard this mic before and oh I wish I had an extra $700.

Remeber also the mic is only one part of the equation.
1) Mic
2) Mic Pre
3) A/D Converter

Shyt even you MIC cable matters. I just picked up a Blue Kiwi cable $50, and I can hear the diference.......

Apr 26, 2002
I have an AKG C3000B, shit's pretty clean for vocals. its about 300. Wherever you buy it though, check out the store's return policy. If you get a Mic and it's not suiting your needs, you'll be able to exchange it for another

May 7, 2002
Looks like the weak link in your set is the soundcard... The latency on the SB cards is hurt...... Spend a lil on a good card with good drivers and you will be able to use live effects while recording... Get a fast comp too....

Jan 11, 2003
www.soundclick.com
^^
I'm not too worried about live effects really... and the soundcard seems to work fine for me... I have a fast computer too... here's my computer specs:

1.8 ghz Athlon XP processor
512 sdram memory
80 gig hard drive
40x10x40 cd-rw

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
YOUNGMOE said:
the baby bottle is built for people with "non-low" voices...i own it myself...and though it's the best mic under a G for the midrange vocals...it's not that great for the low's

it's always good to a have a nice array of GOOD MCIS in your studio tho'
i've always thought my voice was around the mid range, if you (or anybody else who can tell me) could... listen to All I Need, i'm the second emcee and let me know which range my voice falls under, I would greatly appreciate it. i've always thought it was around the mid range, but it's good to have an outside ear.

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
Lil' Makk said:
^^
I'm not too worried about live effects really... and the soundcard seems to work fine for me... I have a fast computer too... here's my computer specs:

1.8 ghz Athlon XP processor
512 sdram memory
80 gig hard drive
40x10x40 cd-rw
Another thing you should do, not look at or think about DO!!!!!! is add a second harddrive, at least 7200rpm is A MUST. The reason for this is simple. You use hard drive (1.) for hosting all your programs, then you record all your audio to hard drive (2.) this will decrease latency because your not working the one hard drive so much. It will increase your track count and over all performance of your system.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
I agree... running a second hard drive is crucial and if you can afford it run an external raid system like SOME PEOPLE I KNOW (you know who you are p1mp) becaues then you've got your bases covereved. if a hard drive fails on your raid, who cares... you've got the data mirroed, replace it and get on with your day. if your bootable, or even second hard drive fails, well YER FUCKED. important data should never be on the same drive as the one you're booting from. good looking out View 1...

if you can't afford either like myself... once you've got the final mix done, burn the data to CD or DVD and seal it up some place safe.