What Mic/Pre-Amp Combo Do You Use?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mayo

Jul 9, 2003
I'm looking to upgrade my mic (AKG C3000B) and purchase one between 500-1500. I'm using the Mic Pre Amp in the Digidesign 002r. Will I get a noticabley better sound by switching to a better preamp in the range of under 1000? What Mic/Preamp combos work good for you guys? I've used a Manley/Manley combo in a studio, sounds good but thats a little out of my budget.

Mar 22, 2004
I would probably pick up the Avalon 737, for about 1300-1500
used, We use one with a Neumann u87 and I don't have any complaints. But I do wanna upgrade to that SSL XLOGIC channel strip.
For a Mic I would probably get the U87 instead of an AKG , unless you scoop up the c 12VR

Apr 25, 2002
i definatley wouldn't pick up an avalon, nor would i pick up a neumann...
in my opinion avalons are sterile, and neumann, these days you're paying for a name
i'd find yourself a good mic with a single pattern designed specifically for vocals, i've been hearing good things about the Se Gemini...
and you'd definatley get a better sound with a better preamp
i have the 002 and though the mic pre's are okay, you can definately do better
for stereo mic pre, i'd check out teh vintech 1272,
for a single channel a little more expensive , check out the vintech x73i...
classic neve sound with a great eq on it

for 1200 bucks check out the Soundelux U195 mic
sounds better then a u87 and is cheaper

Jul 9, 2003
Damn it's so confusing trying to buy this shit, never know what is best, everyone gives you a different answer. I'm thinking about seeing if I can borrow equipment from a local store and test it out.

Mar 22, 2004
Your gonna get different opinions from everybody. My advice is to listen to peoples stuff and if you like they're quality , see what they use. I know some cats that use some pretty cheap shit , but with the right mix on it, you can never tell.

Apr 25, 2002
Mayo said:
Damn it's so confusing trying to buy this shit, never know what is best, everyone gives you a different answer. I'm thinking about seeing if I can borrow equipment from a local store and test it out.
Okay, first things... You have to realize that a whole lotta cats have all kinds of advice to give you but only a few of them are really qualified to do so since only a few of them have any actual experience with the gear and arn't just repeating something they heard somewhere else.

Next, don't plan on paying x amount for your mic upgrade. Figure out which mic will suit your needs best and if it's out of your budget, keep saving until you have enough.

As far as signal quality... You can't just upgrade one part of your signal chain and think it's going to make all the difference. Your audio signal is only as good as the shittiest gear you run it through. For example, buying a top-of-the-line preamp and running it into an interface like a SoundBlaster would be a complete waste.

My advice to you would be to jump on google and do some research... Read several reviews, interviews with engineers & producers who have a sound you like, talk to people who work with this gear for a living and learn what the pro's and con's are for the products you're interested in.

Lastly, the 002r pre's probably suit your needs just fine but ultimately you have to be the judge of that.

Apr 25, 2002
all i will say is, gear i speak on, ive owned or used...90 percent of the time

and if you want your vocals to sound outside of the mix, go with the 002 pre's

if you want them to melt in, go with something tighter...

most rap studios don't do it right, including me, which is, a/b different mic and mic pre combos for the vocalist
one cat might sound best on a shure sm57, and horrible on a expensive mic...another cat the other way around

for mic pre's, you might wanna check out old school audio, you'll need a power supply, but they have some nice pre's and there droppin a compressor based on the la-4

Mar 22, 2004
I also speak on gear I own or have used. Peep these snips
some were recorded at Velvet Tone in Sac. some at home through a digi001. At Velvet tone we used various mics and pre's at home a Neumann U87 and an Avalon 737 straight through the 001. You probably can't tell which was recorded where, because when it really comes down to it .IT'S ALL ON THE MIX. anyways check it out.
http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=1815661&q=Hi

Apr 25, 2002
Vince V. said:
when it really comes down to it .IT'S ALL ON THE MIX.
When it really comes down to it, every step & process is as equally important as the one before it so no, it's not "all on the mix". A good solid mixing engineer is like a good solid car polish. If your cars paint is mediocre to begin with, don't expect it to come out looking like it belongs on the showroom floor of an exotic car dealership.