What Iz Tha Best Equipment?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
W

WheroXMusicc

Cabn sum 1 give me sum insight?I have been goin to sum1 else'z studio lately and recording......that guy ain't much help when it cums to givin info.

BIG J

Sicc OG
Apr 26, 2002
Everyone has a Personal preference, and that is a very broad question.
Are you going Digital or Analog? and tha list goes on and on and on and on

Before you get anything research it and ask around to see what people think of it.

ATF

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
my advice is go DIGITAL...you dont want to fuck wit tapes...

If you just starting out Id go wit a BOSS BR-8.......or a ROLAND 840........Or If you got some skrill for real get a 1680 or one of the KORG track machines......what yall makin beats on???Thats another thing to think about.............

hope that helps playa............peace

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
honestly i like going digital. mixing down to reel and going back in digital. i have done this before and its a great process. best of both worlds. nothing wrong with that. all digital? not my cup of tea. all analog? nope sorry. reels get EXPENSIVE and the time gets taken away QUICKLY. if you dont have any skrill forget analog tape.

mixers with automation are convienent. however analog mixers like the soundcraft ghost have SUPERB pre amps. so once again its all about what you want to do.

i use a roland hard disc recorder also. an 880ex. its the RIGHT side of the brain. my pc is the LEFT side.

heres a tip when goin to other people.........if they are not willing to talk/share LEAVE THEM THE HELL ALONE!!!!!!!

whats your budget???????

heresy

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
heresy would you recommend buying a recorder such as the 880 over computer recording. i would like something a little more reliable and precise

there is one advertised here locally for 400 $, i believe it is the 840 model though.

thoughts please

Apr 26, 2002
Itz just the Saturation of tha Tape, gives it kind of a warm Sound.
In the Analog world you can go over Unity(0dB) where as Digital it can't go over 0dB otherwise it clips and Distorts the Audio

As far as Digital goes, the Editing Capabilities are far more greater. and Easier

Apr 26, 2002
BOSS BR-1180...745.99....(I GOT THE BR-8 BUT THIS JUST CAME OUT AND SINCS UP TO THE BR-8 FUCK!!!!)
YAMAHA MOTIF 6......I PAID 1799.00 AND LOVE IT!!!
TASCAM CD-RW700...499.99
SONY MDR-7506 HEADPHONES....99.99(GET TWO PAIRS)
IF YOU GOT THE BREAD THE EVENT PS-8 MONITORS 299.99 EACH
OR YOU COULD GO WITH SOME REAL GOOD SHIT FOR 399.99 FOR THE PAIR WITH THE BEHRINGER B2031 TRUTH MONITORS
(MICROPHONE) MK-319 CONDENSER 199.99 IT'S WHAT I USE AND GET REAL GOOD RESPONSE REAL NICE....I PAID 299.99 FOR IT 1 1/2YRS AGO....YOU WILL NEED TO GET A PHANTOM POWER ADAPTER(PB23) 39.99 DON'T USE THE PHANTOM POWER OFF A MIXER...GET TOO MUCH FEEDBACK.
NOW YOU GOT A FEW GOOD CHOICES IN MIXING BOARDS..
1. MACKIE 1402 VLZ PRO COMPACT.....529.99
2. BEHERINGER EUORACK MX2004A- 249.99
3. OR RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE WITH THE MACKIE DFX-12 379.99

EVERYTHING I LISTED ...NOST OF WICH I HAVE IS AVAILABLE AT WWW.MUSICIANSFRIEND.COM

TAKE YOUR TIME WHILE LEARNING CAN'T JUMP INTO IT QUICK LIKE,LEARN AND YOU'LL HAVE FUN LEARNIN NEW SHIT EVERYDAY.....ANY QUESTIONS HOMIE HIT ME AT
[email protected]

PEACE,
PLAYA-T

Apr 26, 2002
Start readin' Magazines like Electronic Musician, Home Recording, EQ, And Keyboard, those are all really godd, they have reviews every Month. Always up to date on new technologies and New Techniques

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
@phil how are you going to get the sounds into the pc? on the roland you will have inputs,onboard effects (im guessing your model *MIGHT* have it).its portable and its dedicated....but.....your limited to hard drive space,small screen,*ok*pre amps,18 or 16 bit converters,audio compression (do not confuse this with DYNAMIC compression. this is more like DATA compression). limited track recording and play back (simultaneously).

as far as the pc it can be upgraded over and over and over. you are only limited by your ram,hd space,processer etc etc etc. you can have cubase reason, etc etc etc. on the down side......CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!! its not really portable. i to take my pc to SOUNDFARM (papa roach and herm have recorded there) and i didnt really appreciate having to lug it around. what are you going to use for inputs? midi interface? smpte,mmc,mtc??????

"try b4 u buy!!!!!!!"

i would go with a super fast pc with a lot of inputs(with great pre amps)...........but..........you can get GREAT recordings from the roland......try b4 u buy.

@ATF you said :
how can a tape have better sound than a cd???
you can hit tape at +6 or even 9 in some cases. you can really push it. just because its TAPE doesnt mean its HISS. you have MANY boards and reel to reels that can spit out quality recordings with or without N.R. and if they have external clocks your really in for a treat. if you are into engineering and all of that try to find articles written by ED KRAMMER. you have old recordings that rival todays recordings.

just because its on cd doesnt mean its good. just because its on tape doesnt mean it will sound good.

heresy

May 13, 2002
the best setup to me is
1.mpc 2000 hot drums good sequencer,you can run 3to4 sound modules $500-600 used
2.roland 1080 sound module dont get a triton its over used 1080 sounds will last another 5to10 years $400-500used
3.asr10 good controller and sond source you can make very good bass and lead sounds $300-600 used
4.protools digi001 24 tracks record mix and master on this program$ 800new
5.mac g-4 tower get the fastest one you can dont use a pc with this program ever!!$500 used $1400new
6.rode nt2 mike good sounding mic $400 new
7.joemeek preamp with compressor youll need to compress vox coming in $400

heres a good place to start under 4000. and all the basses are covered you can build as your demands grow

also dont get into analog vs digital if you ever have the money invest in neve preamps, these make the biggest difference in how a track is gonna sound
:p :p

May 13, 2002
THE NEVE IS VERY NICE HOWEVER I LIKE THE SSL4080 ALOT I GOT TO WORK ON ONE IN HOUSTON THE SOUND IS MUCH SHARPER THEN THE NEVES IVE WORKED ON ,LIKE YOU SAY ITS WHAT YOU LIKE, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WORKING ON A NEVE OR ANY OTHER BOARD FOR THAT MATTER