What comes first when listening to hip-hop/rap? Beat or lyrics?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 2, 2002
I listen to lyrics more. I think thats why i always been such a big Mac Dre fan cuz some of his beats are hella weak but his lyrics were so tight i stayd listening

Dec 26, 2004
Honestly I listen to the beat 1st then the lyricz. But IF the lyricz N flowz are shitty then I woudnt be a fan. Thatz how I started, now I listen if the rapper iz featured on other albums I liked then give that artist a try with they solo album.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
I listen to if they're on beat first
Then lyrics
Then the beat

If they're not on beat, I change the track.

If their lyricism is trash, regardless of the beat I don't really pay attention.

If the beat is crap but the lyrics are good, I'll still stay tuned, hoping the beat will grow on me.

I'll listen to just about anything that's on beat. But to get my props, wordplay is a must.

Aug 7, 2006
Dirty Shoez said:
I listen to if they're on beat first
Then lyrics
Then the beat

If they're not on beat, I change the track.

If their lyricism is trash, regardless of the beat I don't really pay attention.

If the beat is crap but the lyrics are good, I'll still stay tuned, hoping the beat will grow on me.

I'll listen to just about anything that's on beat. But to get my props, wordplay is a must.
WORD

Jul 13, 2006
i need both but if the beat is dope i will fuck with it a lil even if the lyrics are not that good....Unless its mike jones cuz than i just turn it off

Evil Jesus

Its All Evil Jesus!
May 22, 2006
its the beat.. if i aint feelin the beat within the first 10 seconds then im skippin on. ill come back to it when i have time just to give it a listen but meanwhile im steady bumpin the ones that catch my attention first.

Dec 9, 2005
The beat is what initially draws me into a song...if its not catchy, or I don't feel it...then I'm not interested enough to even give the lyrics any thought. Dope production is key, case in point.

Dr. Dre's The Chronic 2001

Nothing mindblowing in the lyrics department there...but the beats bang, and the melodys are infectious.

Lyrics just compliment beats IMO...I could slap an instrumental album over an acapella album any day. Thats just my preference tho.

RB20

Sicc OG
Aug 22, 2003
Honestly, for me it depends.

Some artists, there beats have to be on point. Some you can sit back and listen to the lyrics. Like I can listen to a DE song a few times even if the beat is garbage just to see what he says.

I EXPECT oth, especially if I actually buy the full CD, but I can go either way in certain situations

BossDogg

Narcotic... Strange...
Apr 26, 2006
Used to listen more beats than lyrics...but not anymore, Doesnt matter how good beat a song has if it has shit lyrics, i wont listen it . so i say lyrics

Jun 24, 2006
id say lyrics/flow cause wit messy marv some of his beats sound to r&b ish for me but he does have flow so it makes it a lot easier to listen to. same thing with that ras kass soul on ice his lyrics and flow are ten times better than his beats.