What comes first when listening to hip-hop/rap? Beat or lyrics?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 31, 2006
Do you listen for the lyrics? the beat?

The main thing I listen for is the beat. If it ain't in the least bit catchy, it's not going to get a second listen. Lyrics can be shit, and I'll still listen if the beat is good.
For me, it's hard to listen to the lyrics unless you stop what you're doing and just concentrate fully on the song. Worse, most of these rappers aint sounding clear like chamillionaire, and it actually becomes a hassle to figure out what the fuk they sayin..

I don't understand how people listen to nas, his beats are so shitty. If I can't even bear the beat, I'm not going to give his lyrics a chance, even if people say hes got amazing lyrics.

Mar 4, 2006
I listen to both. I don't see how a person can just listen to the beat. I can appreciate a song even if the beat isn't up to par but the mc is just killing it anyways. I can't listen to a song if the beat is sick but the rapper ain't up to par. Id rather just hear the instrumental.

Aug 7, 2006
Evasive said:
I don't understand how people listen to nas, his beats are so shitty.
honestly you know nothing about music and you must be at least 12 years old. large professor, premier, will.i.am makes some of the illest beats. it seems you just like club beats. take your ass to the strip club

Feb 17, 2006
lyrics, I believe the beat just has to complement the flow, other than that, I don't necessarily like a beat that bangs hard. I prefer subtler producers such as Muggs, Rza and RJD2. If all I hear is "fuck these hoes, fuck these hoes," or "Mike Jones, Mike Jones," I generally judge it as shitty.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
livemanikins said:
honestly you know nothing about music and you must be at least 12 years old. large professor, premier, will.i.am makes some of the illest beats. it seems you just like club beats. take your ass to the strip club
will I am? will I am? c'mon, you're gonna seriously put will i am in a category with large pro & primo? wtf? I could understand if you named LES or havoc, but Will I Am?!?!? its not that he's a bad producer, he's actually coo, but to put him up there like that is kinda insane.

I listen to beats first, WHICH IS THE MAIN REASON I LISTENED TO NAS IN THE FIRST PLACE! It ain't hard to tell was one of the dopest beats I've heard. so its just your opinion on shit. people think andre nickatina is tight for some reason, some think his beats are tight as fuck and some think he can hella rap. I think niether is true, but hey, whatever floats your boat or finds your lost remote.

Nov 14, 2006
Evasive said:

The main thing I listen for is the beat. If it ain't in the least bit catchy, it's not going to get a second listen. Lyrics can be shit, and I'll still listen if the beat is good.

I don't understand how people listen to nas, his beats are so shitty. If I can't even bear the beat, I'm not going to give his lyrics a chance, even if people say hes got amazing lyrics.
Mans thats part of whats wrong with hip hop today. too many cats spittin sum bullshit over a nice beat, when 90% of the time the shit sound better when someone rip it on a mixtape that can actually spit. Like Bishop Lamont says:

"I wish the game was reversed/ and my verse was the beat/ so you listen to me first/ and then dance later/ i aint dumbin down shit/ you dont get it/ get a fuckin translator."

May 7, 2002
Beat at first, but longevity wise... always lyrics. A hot beat can only sound hot for a week or two, afterwisle it gets played. But a hot 16 never gets old to me.

Apr 30, 2004
Evasive said:

For me, it's hard to listen to the lyrics unless you stop what you're doing and just concentrate fully on the song. Worse, most of these rappers aint sounding clear like chamillionaire, and it actually becomes a hassle to figure out what the fuk they sayin..

I've never heard a better argument for disliking Mike Jones.

Honestly, you're a damn idiot. Fuck if it sounds hot. If it sounds ignorant, I'm not approaching it. Listen and learn.

2 ears. 1 mouth.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
Evasive said:
Worse, most of these rappers aint sounding clear like chamillionaire, and it actually becomes a hassle to figure out what the fuk they sayin.
at least the rapper you like repeats himself so if you don't catch it the first time, you can catch it the next 3 times he says it

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
but the thing is I can slap young joc's cd and gig to it. I'd recite lines to songs that ain't even on the radio, cuz his album got some banging ass beats. would I ever consider him to be a decent rapper? hell the fuck no. but I can slap the shit out of it because the bass will drown out the lyrics.

With someone like Ras Kass, I can play that shit on an old school walkman with no bass and nothing but treble and the shit'll sound tight, because you can hear every word he says.

this is music, you don't need to have a formula to like something

Aug 7, 2006
Defy said:
will I am? will I am? c'mon, you're gonna seriously put will i am in a category with large pro & primo? wtf? I could understand if you named LES or havoc, but Will I Am?!?!? its not that he's a bad producer, he's actually coo, but to put him up there like that is kinda insane.
aye yo im not sayin will I am is up there wit pro or primo but he is a good producer, I just took that nas comment and threw a producer from the past and present to compare his judgement son.