What are you Doing to Help This Dago Movement...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 17, 2005
www.RaPimp.com
As artists... our job is to keep coming with heat to make sure our city is represented well... But as a fan and supporter of this dago movement, I can't stop running my mouth about how much fire we got coming out of this Rabbit Hole we know as the SouthEast... every where I go, every state I touch, every crowd, smoke session, getogethers, drink ups, BBQ's... I always break out my Dago catalog and let new ears know whats poppin in our city...

Im asking ya, how far do you go to make sure that your local artists get heard... Cuz the artists cant do it by themselves... We need support, word of mouf... is not just go out there and buy the cd (which is important too)... but everyone knows someone outside the city... Do you get the word out? Do you put niggas on to whats crackin down here? Do you forward Myspace links? Email tracks? Refer people to the websites where they can get updates?

Discuss...

Jun 14, 2006
www.xlmiddleton.com
a homie check this out im not from Dago but i wanted to make it known that im down with the SD movement, its a lot of talent yall got down there and its a certain rawness that i see in the scene that we've been searching for in LA for some years now. so whoever got some dope music holla @ me and lets do some shit!!!

Apr 26, 2006
As a listener, what I personally like to do is bump the $hit out of it. When someone next to me might be bumping some Young Jeezy, Jim Jones or something of that nature, I'll be bumping some Ecay Uno, Mitchy Slick, Mr. Shadow, Queenie, etc... Other than that, I personally don't do much Myspace, but this website is a big big source for networking. It's sites like this that can ultimately spread your $hit out I think.

I think Peeps need to lay off these mixtapes and actually come out with new original shit, a real album.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
I coexist outside of the "dago movement".

I dont bang, i dont like to dry snitch on myself or anyone else on record, im a graffiti writer, i think theres more to the city than the traditional "west coast sound", and i was born and raised here. that excludes a whole lot of yall.

I embody what San Diego attempts to hide about itself.
Everyone who grew up in south east wasnt a banger, but he coexisted under the same laws.

I'm gas, first and foremost. Thats what i do for san diego. I get people to this day coming up to me about graffiti ive done or saying they know me from somewhere. I've hooke dup a few people with other people because they made a good team. I'll give ideas, pass out flyers blah blah. but really all i can do in this shit is be me and not the rest of yall. so i dont fit in the movement. im more like an intermediary of the movement.

Ive got my whole life to plot out what i'm going to do in this city, i'm in no rush. As far as creating music, making beats, doing art. I've got my own plans. I just cant jump on this 'dago train'...imma walk there..arrive fashionably late nah mean..I'll help someone individually if i'm feeling them. But movement wise, nah.

that said catch me writing graffiti in the streets. i fuck yall tax dollars up. thats what i do for san diego.

Jun 17, 2005
www.RaPimp.com
I feel that Gas... I used to go bombin' when I lived in New York back in the Dayz... I think I was like 11 or 12... I had the 1,2,3,4 finger tip caps.. Krylon cans... Trynna get my tag on and shit...

But In regards to what you were saying... I lot of people feel like this Dago Movement "Music Wise" has to do with the Gangbangin'... I aint never banged shit... I got blood homies that IM close with... Crip homies that I fucks with.. Shiieett... I went to Ofarell and Morse... So you already know... I done had to dodge a couple shots cuz my homies was in the funk... you feel me... But I dont think that Dago is solely Gangsta rap... but I feel what you saying though...

Gas One

May 24, 2006
i just dont think us people who AINT bangin' arent part of this dago movement yet.

look at whos gettin the buzz

people like me and you need to step it up as far as noticability and clientele in diego. maybe figure ways to get a buzz. whatever it takes. and by me sayin that i aint hatin on your motivation. i think the thing is we just gotta get noticed as much as the jayos and mitchy slicks...for how we live..even if you sell drugs and carry a gun that might not be your viewpoint..

we just gotta take more time to visualize what we need to do. banging is cut and dry, life beyond banging takes time to sink in.

like jacka said, its hard but i aint givin up..

before the dago movement is OFFICIAL we need to add some sort of fuckin variety to our city. we way more than super bangin'.

Apr 26, 2006
Gas One said:
before the dago movement is OFFICIAL we need to add some sort of fuckin variety to our city. we way more than super bangin'.
I don't understand why you need to have so many varieties. One or two different styles is just fine I think. Just look at LA back in the 90's, that shit was mainly based off G-Funk and they did well. The same with the Bay, they were based off that Mobb Funk. To me, I think San Diego rap is a combination of both when it comes to Gangster shit, but cmon you know there's peeps out there that are combining Hyphy/Crunk elements as well or just doing some different shit. Just listen to Mitchy Slick's "Bass Chaser," that track sounds weird as fuck IMO just like all the new shit out these days, I really don't like the beat to be honest. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with Gangster Rap, when you really take a look at it, it's pretty much the only rap that seems to make some sense, it's shit that most can relate to. Remember just because it's "gangsta" doesn't neccessarily have to mean pure violence and gangbangin, it could just be about the basic life struggles of growing up in the hood, prejudices, politics,etc... the bad and the good times.

Anyways, who said anything about a "Movement" ??? San Diego needs exposure, not sure about a movement. As much as I don't like it, "Hyphy" is a movement because they innovated that trend. San Diego ain't innovating anything, their just making HipHop in general.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Why do i need so much variety? because i like variety. other people also like variety. Without variety things get stagnant.

Its not about doing what the 90s did (that was 17 years ago)
and i dont think san diego is a combination of anything.

i think people in san diego are a combination of things (because people come from different places) , but san diego is san diego beyond that. people change but the city, is the city. it was san diego then and its san diego now. it was never anything else.

I dont know why people keep mentioning bass chasers when it comes to originality. Its just a regular beat to me. Wasnt shit super different about it. I liked it, though. I didn't say theres anything wrong with gangster rap, cee wee 3's album is sitting on my passenger seat of my car right now..along with a few dozen san diego cds in my case...and no, im talking about gangster rap exagerrating and the falsifying of our city bieng like beruit, not gangster rap not having different topics. its damn obvious if someones talking about struggles. its not like i dont know english. i can listen to a song and tell what hes talking about.

who said anything about a movement? did you read the thread title? we're just discussing that. there is some sort of 'movement' even if im not part of it or i dont agree with it. ive sat down with enough people and brainstormed what moves to make to know about a movement being active.

the fact that san diego isnt innovating anything is my point.

everyones trying to be so "west coast" when the west coast dosent even get along. nortenos hate surenos. the bay thinks theyre better than us. everyones trying to emulate a certain time frame. i'm getting sick of the shit.

i can only listen to san diego rap in spurts.

due to that, thats where variety needs to come in. everyone bieng hard in this city is getting old. even if you did go to jail for x amount of years and you sell crack. whats that gotta do with making music though?

im speaking to a majority, the minority that dosent follow suit isnt included with my rant. a few people have their heads on straight.

Jun 17, 2005
www.RaPimp.com
Variety is always good... Thats how we'll appeal to the masses... I think everyone that supports "Dago Music"... should spend a little time marketing through word of Mouf (its free)... tell a friend that lives outside the city... Pass the word... Every fan counts... Thats just my opinion... I say this cuz I know it helps... I got niggas giggin in New York right now off Boss Man Hogg, Big June, iRocc, Tommy Redding, The WrongKind, Smigg, The WHOLE HeaterVille Camp, Packablaks, Black Dot, That Guy... Niggas in the east coast be like... damn... I didnt know Dago had it crackin like that with talent... When I go to Florida.. samething... Now I got 2 to 3 new niggas from a different area asking they homies "Ey, Have you heard of so and so from San Diego"... The word starts traveling... Eventually we'll gain some momentum...

Thats why i started this Thread.. i just wanna know what OUR supporters do to get the word out... Ya FEEL ME ON THIS?!?

Gas One

May 24, 2006
yeah i agree with that. definately.

ive put a few people in the bay up in sd shit, specifically big june and the leery gang

its nice to see the music accepted from an outside audience

but we as the inside audience are the controllers of what we want the outsiders to see us as...i just dont want to get pigeonholed as a city that can only do one thing..the advantage to not having a city on the map is that you have more time to build your blueprint...

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
Young Noiz said:
Variety is always good... Thats how we'll appeal to the masses... I think everyone that supports "Dago Music"... should spend a little time marketing through word of Mouf (its free)... tell a friend that lives outside the city... Pass the word... Every fan counts... Thats just my opinion... I say this cuz I know it helps... I got niggas giggin in New York right now off Boss Man Hogg, Big June, iRocc, Tommy Redding, The WrongKind, Smigg, The WHOLE HeaterVille Camp, Packablaks, Black Dot, That Guy... Niggas in the east coast be like... damn... I didnt know Dago had it crackin like that with talent... When I go to Florida.. samething... Now I got 2 to 3 new niggas from a different area asking they homies "Ey, Have you heard of so and so from San Diego"... The word starts traveling... Eventually we'll gain some momentum...

Thats why i started this Thread.. i just wanna know what OUR supporters do to get the word out... Ya FEEL ME ON THIS?!?
that all we can do really right now in my opinion every where i go i got siccness and san diego product i put hella ppl up on shit they never heard from san diego now they cant get enough!!!

Apr 22, 2006
We aint got enough talented niggas out there putting out bangers. Like you got mitch who has hit you over the head the last couple years with some bangers then you got lil al who has hit you over the head with a couple bangers other than that. nobody has even stepped up to there class yet in diego. so unitl we got 40r5 good rappers or mc's whatever you wana call it then there aint nothing really to support. not to be hating on the ecay's and tiny doo's but we talking all star talent yeh dig

Apr 4, 2004
www.myspace.com
BOOBOO619 said:
I personally don't think there's anything wrong with Gangster Rap, when you really take a look at it, it's pretty much the only rap that seems to make some sense, it's shit that most can relate to. Remember just because it's "gangsta" doesn't neccessarily have to mean pure violence and gangbangin, it could just be about the basic life struggles of growing up in the hood, prejudices, politics,etc... the bad and the good times.
What U Described As Gangsta Rap Isnt Gangsta Rap At All.. Its Not Music Most People Can Relate Too... Not Everyone Wants To Hear Someone Get Killed On Wax, Or Wanna Hear About How Drugs Is Movin... And When U Said They Also Rap About The Basic Life Struggles Of Growing Up In The Hood, Prejuidices, And Politics, Thats Not Gangsta Rap Thats Just Regular Hip Hop, U Can Hear Lupe Fiasco, Or Talib Kweli Talk The Same Shit, Maybe Even Deeper Than Ur Typical Gangster Rapper... San Diego Needs As Much Variety As It Can Get.. This City Needs Progress, Not A State Of Arrested Development... The Question Is Are U Really Supporting San Diego?? Because U Said Dont Bite Hyphy/Crunk, But We Should Continue To Bite LA G Funk With Bay Mobb Shit... It Doesnt Make Sense... Dont Bite, But Still Bite...

Jun 17, 2005
www.RaPimp.com
phillflosie said:
We aint got enough talented niggas out there putting out bangers. Like you got mitch who has hit you over the head the last couple years with some bangers then you got lil al who has hit you over the head with a couple bangers other than that. nobody has even stepped up to there class yet in diego. so unitl we got 40r5 good rappers or mc's whatever you wana call it then there aint nothing really to support. not to be hating on the ecay's and tiny doo's but we talking all star talent yeh dig
You definately not hating... But what you are doing is Not Listening... If you can only think of Lil Al and Mitch as the only 2 rappers in dago with "All Star Talent" then your point of view is irrelavent to me... Cuz you aint up on game...

Apr 4, 2004
www.myspace.com
phillflosie said:
Readin This Right Here, Lets Us All Know That U Aint Really Up On Dago..

Apr 25, 2003
www.myspace.com
....ok,...

I can't agree with the statement "movement" per se, however, I support our music scene by staying open minded about the talent here. I listen to a few artist, I can't say anything and everything, not everyone. I get out and about and try to get to the shows I can and support. It don't matter where you're from. The thing that gets me is how many people take a "stand" one way or the other for the town. If more people were out here networking and supporting, a lot more artist out here would be heard of rather than just the 3, 4, 5, or 6 names that come out. I've been involved in our music culture (that's right culture) for a long time and I have seen our growth has been stunted. That may have been for a reason. Because now the pot is bubbling.