WEC 48 4/24/10

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU

MAIN CARD

* Champ Jose Aldo vs. Urijah Faber (for featherweight title)
* Champ Benson Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone (for lightweight title)
* Mike Brown vs. Manny Gamburyan
* Anthony Njokuani vs. Shane Roller
* Antonio Banuelos vs. Scott Jorgensen

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung
* Alex Karalexis vs. Anthony Pettis
* Demetrious Johnson vs. Brad Pickett
* Chad Mendes vs. Anthony Morrison
* Takeya Mizugaki vs. Rani Yahya
* Tyler Toner vs. Brandon Visher

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
should be sweet, but if I wasn't already going to be at work I wouldn't be buying it. Might've thought about it if they were showing Korean Zombie and Mizugaki

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Two "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber" prelim bouts to air live on Spike TV

With the WEC's first pay-per-view a little more than one week away, the promotion is pulling out all the stops to guarantee a successful showing.

Today, UFC president Dana White announced that the WEC would follow suit with its sister company and air a pair of preliminary bouts on Spike TV.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since learned from sources close to the promotion that the bouts that will be featured include Leonard Garcia (13-5-1 MMA, 3-2-1 WEC) vs. Chan Sung Jung (10-1 MMA, 0-0 WEC) and Alex Karalexis (10-4 MMA, 4-2 WEC) vs. Anthony Pettis (8-1 MMA, 2-1 WEC).

The two bouts will take place during a one-hour special on Spike TV prior to the evening's main-card pay-per-view broadcast.

Garica returns quickly to action following a controversial draw with George Roop at the company's WEC 47 event in March. Garcia appeared well on his way to dropping a decision until Roop had a point deducted in the third frame for an illegal blow.

A longtime fan favorite, Garcia finds himself in desperate need of a win against a tough opponent. "Bad Boy" is just 1-2-1 in his past four contests, and the lone victory came in razor-thin split decision over Jameel Massouh, who's no longer with the WEC.

Meanwhile, Jung fights for the first time in 2010. The Korean made his MMA debut in 2007, and he opened his career with nine-straight wins. Despite a successful track record in kickboxing, Jung has also trained in Hapkido and competed in Sambo tournaments.

Jung's lone career loss came in May 2009 via unanimous decision to Masanori Kanehara at World Victory Road's Sengoku Eighth Battle. Jung bounced back with a second-round submission win over Matt Jaggers in a featherweight grand prix reserve bout at Sengoku Ninth Battle, though the Korean wasn't called on for additional duty that evening.

After dealing with injuries, Karalexis returns to the cage for the first time in a year. The Massachusetts native had been scheduled to fight Kamal Shalorus at this past November's WEC 44 event, but a broken hand forced Karalexis out of the matchup.

A three-time UFC veteran and cast member of the original season of "The Ultimate Fighter," Karalexis has earned WEC wins over Greg McIntyre, Josh Smith, Olaf Alfonso and Thomas Denny. He has also suffered a pair of losses in contests with Bart Palaszewski and Ed Ratcliff.

His opponent, Pettis, looks to build off a March victory over Danny Castillo at WEC 47 that earned him the night's "Knockout of the Night" award. Prior to that fight, Pettis made his WEC debut with a perfect 6-0 record. He made it 7-0 with a submission victory over Mike Campbell at WEC 41 but then dropped a close split-decision defeat to Palaszewski at WEC 45 for his first career loss.

An official announcement from the organization is expected later today.

Nov 7, 2006
yeah, I really wanna see the main event. Wish it was on Versus, wouldnt pay $50 for the rest of the card.
really? henderson is a monster as is cerrone, and did you see there last fight? that was the best fight i've scene in years. and mike brown fights is always good. imma be renting this with a bunch of friends so it's cheap.

May 3, 2002
really? henderson is a monster as is cerrone, and did you see there last fight? that was the best fight i've scene in years. and mike brown fights is always good. imma be renting this with a bunch of friends so it's cheap.
My bad, lol.. I haven't watched that many WEC shows. Then i saw the previews and noticed I knew the people on the rest of the card. I think im gonna order it.. Should be a good PPV!

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
woooooo i cant wait for saturday gonna be trashed early gettin a keg goin downtown for a parade to see people i havent seen in a while then comin back to the homies house and gettin even more drunk and whoopin bitches ass in beer pong

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Full weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

* Champ Jose Aldo (145) vs. Urijah Faber (144.5)
* Champ Benson Henderson (155) vs. Donald Cerrone (154.5)
* Mike Brown (146) vs. Manny Gamburyan (146)
* Anthony Njokuani (156) vs. Shane Roller (155.5)
* Antonio Banuelos (136) vs. Scott Jorgensen (136)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

* Leonard Garcia (145) vs. Chan Sung Jung (145.5)
* Alex Karalexis (156) vs. Anthony Pettis (155.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Demetrious Johnson (135) vs. Brad Pickett (135.5)
* Chad Mendes (145.5) vs. Anthony Morrison (145)
* Takeya Mizugaki (134.5) vs. Rani Yahya (136)
* Tyler Toner (145.5) vs. Brandon Visher (144.5)

Feb 12, 2004
Jose Aldo is fucking DOPE.

btw anyone notice that shit Dana said about not wanting this event to be associated with the WEC name? The event is called "Aldo vs Faber" and there were 0 WEC logos are the press conference or weigh-ins. Bruce Buffer, Joe Rogan, Mike Goldberg, etc. all doing the show. Why didn't they just call it UFC 113?

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
No WEC, no problem; Dana White says missing logo all part of master plan

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – As the WEC's first-ever pay-per-view event draws near, the big guns from both the WEC and UFC have descended upon Sacramento, Calif., to begin final preparations for the April 24 event.

But while WEC stars Jose Aldo, Urijah Faber, Ben Henderson and Donald Cerrone joined UFC president Dana White today at ARCO Arena for a pre-event press conference, there was one noticeable absence.

The WEC logo.

Saturday's "Aldo vs. Faber" event, a historic moment in the astounding growth of the world's top MMA organization for lighter-weight fighters, has been noticeably stripped of its WEC feel in favor of a more familiar UFC-style presentation.

White has taken over for WEC general manger Reed Harris for the promotion of the event. Bruce Buffer will emcee the event rather than Joe Martinez. UFC broadcasters Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan will handle the play-by-play duties on the evening's pay-per-view broadcast.

"When I took this thing and made it my own personal project, I said from the get-go how we were going to promote this fight," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following today's pre-event press conference.

Surprisingly, that apparently includes removing the identity of the WEC brand that Zuffa, LLC has worked so hard to build since acquiring the promotion in 2006.

White said it's a price the company had to pay in order to expand the reach of the promotion for this historic event.

"Here's what's happened: I don't know if you guys have noticed, but this thing is everywhere," White said. "It's on Spike TV. The commercials are running on Spike TV. The 'Countdown' show is on Spike TV. It's on MTV2. It's on Versus. It's everywhere. That's how we did it.

"This one's called 'Aldo vs. Faber.' I have a whole plan for this whole thing."

White declined to elaborate further on what that plan would entail, but he admitted it is a new approach for his company.

"In business, you've got to try things, see how it works," White said. "You use what works, and you throw away what doesn't."

Armed with his ever-present knowing smile, White seemed confident that his company's marketing and strategic efforts will prove successful on Saturday night. Of course White also admitted, unlike the days prior to UFC events, he has no idea what to expect when the pay-per-view sales figures roll into his office following the event.

However, he did know one thing. No matter what the final figure is, he's confident that he's done everything possible to make "Aldo vs. Faber" a success.

"I believe that we have the ingredients on how to make this thing successful and how to do it," White said. "You've seen a lot of smart guys with a lot of money try it over the last 10 years, and they've failed. ... I've literally come out guns a' blazing this week for this pay-per-view.

"Honestly, sitting here right now, I can't say to you guys, 'You know what? I wish I would have done this,' or 'I wish I would have done that.' On Monday morning when those numbers come in, I'm not going to look back and say, 'You know what? I should have done this.' I [expletive] did everything I needed to do for this card and for this pay-per-view, and we'll see what happens."

But is White at all concerned that the missing logo – and the UFC-esque feel of "Aldo vs. Faber" – will make it difficult to use the landmark event to grow the popularity and brand identification of the WEC?

"No," White said flatly. "You leave that up to me. I'll fix that; trust me. I like to think that I know what I'm doing, and we'll see how this thing goes on Saturday.

"The timing is right for me. Emotionally and mentally for me right now, this fight is really good for me. We'll find out if the timing is right for people as far as pay-per-view goes."

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
man now I've got tomorrow off and I realized I've bought shittier UFCs than this, way too many good fights to miss. Just hoping Korean Zombie breaks the streak of my favorite fighters coming over from Japan and getting their asses kicked.