Wats yalls process in recording vocals?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
go here and follow the instructions I gave to kavie.

http://www.siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?p=1454209#post1454209

The reason I'm giving you this one is because I'm killing two birds with one stone. The song (vocals and beat) were POORLY recorded at another spot. I remixed the song (as you can tell the first guy did a LOUSY job) and I provided it as an example of applying compression after the tracks have been recorded. I used compression and fader riding to keep the lyrics up front and at a constant level. Before I touched it the song was all over the place frequency wise, content wise and had NO dynamics. After I did my thing (polishing a turd) the song (UNMASTERED BY THE WAY) received radio play (rumor has it that its in regular rotation now. I can't confirm), was placed on several mixtapes (95.live.com and dj backsides mixtape hosted by e-40) and received several awards from garage band (had a ranking of 4.3 stars, received song of the day and climbed the top 50)

HOWEVER........The artist can eat a dick.....

I'll post some stuff that was actually recorded at my spot at a later date.

Jun 9, 2005
InsaneMixaken said:
I use a Nueman U87 and the Avalon 737 sp for the vocals

NICE AS FUCK

but like ol boy said, why are you normalizing... dont do that.

With that setup you have, usualy if your Avalon is on a good setting
3:1 - 6:1 ratio quick attack, medium release, turn the gain up a little.
MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST IT SO YOU CLIP THE AUDIO.

After that you should EQ the vocals, Lows, Highs, Mids... the sound would get much cleaner. You can record dub it to a thick sound out of your vocals also.
for me it depends what the beat is like.

You can also throw a light Reverb on it.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST IT SO YOU CLIP THE AUDIO.
Is this a typo? If not, CLIPPING audio in the tracking OR output stage is something that should NOT be done. If you're recording to analog tape and hitting at +3db to +9db you can get away with being in the red. If it's a digital format your shit out of luck. Clip going in (tracking/recording) DAMAGE the converters. Clip going out (summed stereo buss) DAMAGE the converters.

Avoid it.

:hgk: