VERY important for a lot of you!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I've read a few messages now where people talk about how they are mixing and mastering stuff. Mixing and mastering are two completely different processes. I think it would really benefit some of you to research what mastering actually is. Im sure there are some *professional* resources on the web that discuss it. (not those silly ass 'home recording' type websites).

If I remember correctly, I wrote a pretty long piece that breaks down both processes in detail and posted it in my forum on the OG BART board called "Behind The Scenes *tech tips from the pros*". I highly suggest you guys dig through the message archives and read that post a couple times.

A tight final product is in part, the result of understanding sound and respecting the process.

Good luck with your stuff!

Apr 25, 2002
Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to get to that old Tech Tips board... Too bad, that board had enough good posts to write a book with...

May 13, 2002
your correct- mixing and mastering are very different, however,they are one in the same-meaning mastering cant fix a bad mix and a good mix can be destroyed by bad mastering, ive studied under ken lee and larry funk for the last two years,its very possable to mix and master your own cd, and in some cases its your only choice,i charge a flat fee of $300.00 for a 16 song lp
,most of the people i work with cant afford to spend a grand for mastering and its out of theyre scope of what they can do with theyre project to make enough money to justify the amount spent

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
your correct- mixing and mastering are very different, however,they are one in the same-meaning mastering cant fix a bad mix and a good mix can be destroyed by bad mastering
thats game. they say "you cant polish a turd". i dont agree with that soundforge mastering stuff. its cool but mastering should be left to a mastering engineer.

www.homerecording.com has GAME as far as mastering. 99.9999999999% of the gurus and masters (guys who have worked on albums that have went gold/platinum) will tell you to go to a mastering engineer.

@kev ski you never got back at me with the # for the guy with the 2 inch reel. let me know something. if he doesnt have a way to import wav files forget it.

:H:

Apr 25, 2002
I've noticed a lot of people popping up, claiming that they have mastering capabilities. My thing is, I'm wondering how many of them actually have mastering gear and really know how to use it right. Of those people, how many actually have studied the process and have any real experience applying it.

Personally I think people need to know what they are good at and stick to that. But I understand that people will try to be and do everything.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
^^^^ some people have to do everything because they dont have a budget. really man you cant expect someoen to go to ed kramer or "big bass" if they dont have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

so what are they going to do? get soundforge and try to master it (bad move in my opinion but if it works cool) or get it mastered by a cd duplication plant (who will run your tracks through some algorithm and compress the final mix slightly).

by trying to master it yourself you will learn. its trial and error but if you are going to release a product to be placed on store shelves it should be as tight as possible.

:H: