Using the Lord's name in vain

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

EAT

May 14, 2002
define the word "curse" in all those scriptures. It could be more of an ill-will thing rather than swearing.

I do the god damn it every god damned day.

Jan 20, 2006
This is something that I struggle with...

Callin' The Most high "Jehovah" is vain. Yah the almighty didn't name his son Jesus. Jesus is a Greco-Roman-English hybrid name. Just as Jehovah, Jesus is not a Hebrew name nor does it have any meaning, it too is a vain name.

Jan 28, 2005
Great link, Stockton. But the interpretation of many of those biblical quotes is open based on one's interpretation of the word "cursed." In addition, many of those excerpts refer to cursing the Lord's name itself (such as "Damn the Lord" or some such other blasphemous exclamation). They do not seem to strictly forbid you from using the Lord's name in damning something else, except for someone's parents, of course. Then again, I only say that because I'm sure I interpret the word "curse" differently. Actually, I'm not sure how I interpret it after reading those quotes. I need to think about that now. Is "Thou shalt not curse the deaf" from Leviticus 19:14 the same as saying "Thou shalt not speak ill of the deaf in the name of the Lord"?

And I do appreciate everyone's input, from all religious standpoints. I am not offended when people do it, I just wonder now what is right.