UFC Threatens To Ban Tapout For Fedor Sponsorship!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
I just try to understand the dynamics at work w/o lettin my personal opinion or feeling for a particular fighter cloud my perception.

Fedor is one of my favorite fighters but his management and their decisions got his shit fucked up. Now he lost all he's worked for a decade in the making to a barely ranked fighter.

Jan 18, 2006
I dont take the rankings that seriously. if they really wanna do something epic they could put together a heavyweight tournament with all the top heavyweights co-promoted by UFC and Strikeforce and whoever (like that would ever happen) sorta how Pride use to do things. Me and my boy were talking bout this not just about the heavyweight divsion but UFC should have tournaments to switch things up a bit

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
In fight sports rankings are everything. It dictates what matches make sense and are logical. If rankings impacted who Fedor had been fighting his first loss wouldn't have come from Werdum.

That's the problem, is that orgs like Strikeforce try to put fights together that mean absolutely nothing and package them as relevant. It bit them in the ass last night.

Jan 18, 2006
well said, Strikeforce is still trying to grow. I dont know why Fedor was put up against Werdum but most likely cuz Strikeforce thought it would be an easy win for him and they wanted to showcase there best fighter once again unfortunately he lost so your right but there first ppv was suppose to be Overeem vs. Fedor which sounds about right as far as the top heavyweights fighting eachother.

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
I know alistair was hinting towards a possibility he'd be on his way to the UFC after his contract w SF was up.

Take King Mo, SF LHW champion, for example. Why the fuck should he be fighting Babalu. What the fuck does that say about SF as an org that their #1 contender is Babalu.

King Mo should be in the UFC. Overeem should be. Fedor should be. Any time you get in that cage w a young Hogg like Werdum you're risking your hype machine. At Fedors level the risk wasn't worth it w someone ranked #9.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Mo's said himself hundreds of times, he's not ready to fight in the UFC. He knows that losing these days buries you because of guys like you that put too much emphasis on the rankings.

May 10, 2002
In fight sports rankings are everything. It dictates what matches make sense and are logical. If rankings impacted who Fedor had been fighting his first loss wouldn't have come from Werdum.

That's the problem, is that orgs like Strikeforce try to put fights together that mean absolutely nothing and package them as relevant. It bit them in the ass last night.
I'm going to disagree about the rankings because there isn't really ONE consensus as to how the rankings should work.

Yahoo has rankings, Sherdog has rankings, and many other outlets have rankings.

The fact is, Strikeforce's fighter pool just isn't that deep.

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
Kimbo v Alexander is a good example of the difference between SF and UFC. On SF that would have been their gay ass main event on a CBS card. In the UFC it was on the undercard of a Spike show. Not even a PPV.

When the UFC has fights they do fights. Some of the ones you just posted had to be put together due to half the hitters and champs on their roster being injured at the same time. SF could have put Overeem and Emelianenko together and didn't, and now lol at how that worked out for all involved parties.

Jan 7, 2004

these 2 are just barely scratching the surface..
Couture Vs Coleman---These are two legends that will most likely never get a belt or even title shot again, Why not have them fight?

Liddel Vs Franklin---Liddel was supposed to fight Tito for the show and for their feud, Tito dropped out because of injury and they needed a replacement with a big name. Rich will also probably never see a title fight again and the same for Chuck so once again why not have them fight?

i mean, seriously?

lol

EDIT: plus Dan Hardy vs GSP, Maia vs Silva..
Forest was trying to move up the ranks and Tito was a big name and at the time it didnt appear that Tito was on such a decline and Tito was trying to establish himself as a fighter again.

Dan Hardy was on a 7 fight win streak and GSP had not fought since UFC 100 (this fight was UFC 111) the WW belt needed to be on the line to someone, who else was there?

Maia had won 12 out of his last 13 and Silva had not defended the belt since UFC 97 (this fight was UFC 112). Vitor Belfort was injured, so who else should he have been fighting?

lol fuck it, i'm done..
This was on free TV and both guys had simliar fighting styles, which SHOULD have made for a war of fist and someone getting KO'ed. If Kimbo would have won in dominating fashion it could have shown he can hang with power punchers like Houston and if Houston won it would have been a small win that he needed to help stay in the UFC and his chance to prove that Kimbo is not on the level of the lower UFC guys. The fight ended up proving nothing for either but no one knew that when the fight was made.

Strikeforce puts on garbage like, Brett Rogets Vs Fedor then what happens the man that lost to Fedor (Brett Rogers) gets a title shot now that is pathetic. Now even more pathetic is the talk of Werdum fighting Fedor in a rematch when that fight was supposed to be for the #1 contender spot and the winner fighting Overeem.

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
I like all orgs and I think for the purpose of debate they can all be called out for certain things, but there is logic to UFC matchmaking in almost every instance. The same can't be said for SF, and they're so desperate to be considered UFC caliber.

I can appreciate their ambition, but they need.to step it up if they're going to continue to insist they're UFC level.

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
they can step their matchmaking game up. they have excellent fighters, definitely some young fighters on the come up. they can recognize their role and maximize within the constraints of it.

one thing i think they did right was bring aoki over. the thing i think they did wrong was overstate and exaggerate the implications of it. they give their org a black eye w/this herschel walker shit, this two tune-up fights for fedor bullshit.

they never have had the premier LW, WW, MW, LHW and not even the premier HW because they fucked it off. it's not my job to solve the holes in their business, obviously and i'm just some dude so fuck what i have to say really, but all i know if you should never state your intentions to compete directly w/someone when you're not ready to.

eliteXC did, and they're done. affliction did and they're done. strikeforce did, and the jury is out on whether it'll work for them, but one thing is for sure is their product did not form organically. they're forcing it just like the others.