UFC 108 - might be the greatest card ever??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2004
possible match ups:

Shogun vs Machida
Brock vs Carwin
Anderson vs Vitor

Dave Meltzer: Dana White Wants Machida-Shogun II on January 2nd

On his radio show last night (subscription required and recommended), Dave Meltzer said Dana White wants the Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua rematch on UFC 108. Meltzer also stated that Shogun has agreed to the date, and Machida will let them know if he's healthy enough to take it.

They want to return quickly with Machida/Shogun because the controversy is hot right now and if they can make a rematch announcement soon, they can assuage fan anger and channel it into PPV buys. If UFC 108 has Lesnar-Carwin, Machida-Shogun, and Evans-Silva, the show should break the million buy mark.

They won't do Lesnar-Carwin, Machida-Shogun, and Anderson-Vitor on the same card, because they'd have almost nothing for their shows at the beginning of next year, and they won't overload New Year's.

It may be a mistake for Machida to take a rematch so soon. There's just no way he can get a full training camp in given the beating he took Saturday night and the time he'll need to recover before he can train at full speed.

This is a good example of a situation where what is best for business diverges from what is best for the sport. The best thing for business is to put this rematch on as soon as possible to strike while the iron's hot. But at the same time, I don't think anyone wants to see Machida lose because he's injured and unable to train. I think the best course of action is to do Lesnar-Carwin and Sliva-Belfort on this show, and delay Shogun-Machida until the Superbowl show.

Sep 22, 2007
Lesnar Vs Carwin, Machida Vs Rua II, Silva Vs Belfort, Thiago Vs Rashad, Gonzaga Vs Dos Santos all possible for one card?! Looks like I know what I'm doin' for new years.

Dec 19, 2006
DOUBT THEY WILL DO THOSE 3 CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHTS ON ONE CARD,CAUSE VITOR VS SILVA OR SHOGUN VS MACHIDA COULD SELL 109.REMEMBER THEY LOVE TO PLEASE MMA FANS BUT THEY'RE A BUISNESS AS WELL.***FORGOT IT SAID POSSIBLE MATCH UPS***:(

May 2, 2009
UFC officials have confirmed that Lyoto Machida will need surgery on one of his hands. Machida injured his hand during his controversial win over Rua during UFC 104 Saturday in Los Angeles.

Machida (16-0) retained his championship with a unanimous decision, but the vast majority of media and fans thought Rua had done enough to take the championship. UFC president Dana White was among those who thought the decision went the wrong way and wanted to set up a rematch as soon as possible.

White was hopeful to get the rematch in as soon as Jan. 2, when the company has one of its traditional major events of the year at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Rua had agreed to the date, but Machida’s surgery eliminates that possibility. Right now, it is not known when the surgery will take place