Twin Cities

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 17, 2006
Is anyone in here at all familiar with the indie hip-hop scene in St. Paul and Minneapolis? Everyone has probably heard of Atmosphere, but it extends to other great guys like Brother Ali and Heiruspecs and others. But Minneapolis boasts a rapper named P.O.S. who has absolutely changed my view of the genre.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

Brotha Ali is tight, Im not a big Atmosphere fan though but I was feeling that Felt 2 CD that Slug put out with Murs. The onlt other rapper from there ive heard is DMG...

Feb 17, 2006
It could be decently explosive, but the fact of the matter is that they don't care if it is or not. In a song called "Ice Cream," Slug is talking about how jaded the industry has made him using his personal experience with Se7en's Travels, where he says "Cats Vans Bags/The shit was looking good/But in 30 days the LP went wood." But Slug isn't even near the top. You have to check out P.O.S. http://www.myspace.com/posisruiningmylife

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
DMG and Sandman are dope

I can't stand all the Atmosphere/Hieruspecs backpack bullshit though; Overcast and Felt 1 were tight but with each next album they went into some weird shit that was simply wack

Apr 25, 2002
It's real similar to the scene in Seattle in that you've got your more Rhymesayers borderline backpackerish type stuff that appeals to some people, then you've got your North MPLS gangster shit and that appeals to a very different group of people.

I lived there for four years of my life and I was always in search of good rap from there, but came away a little disappointed. My favorites are:

1) Brother Ali
2) Dangerous Minds
3) Sandman
4) DMG
5) I Self Devine

I really am not a fan of Atmosphere or POS.

Feb 17, 2006
I can understand the Atmos dislike, but Heiruspecs is totally different. They used to be really funky, and now they're really just repping St. Paul. Also, Guardians of Balance are East Side St. Paul guys, who are really fucking good if you're not into the Rhymesayers crew.