Turner Staying Put

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
http://sf49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=2817&section=PR News

The announcement on Thursday of the hiring of Wade Phillips as the Cowboys head coach came as good news to a San Francisco 49ers organization that is happy to keep their offensive coordinator Norv Turner in place

After being relieved of his head coaching duties a year ago by the Oakland Raiders and joining the 49ers as an offensive coordinator, Turner said he might consider future head coaching jobs, but only if everything was in perfect order.

Turner had been rumored to be the front runner for the job with speculation that Jones was only waiting for the Super Bowl to pass to name him as head coach. Instead, Jones opted to interview additional candidates and ultimately settled on Phillips.

Not only is Turner staying put for this upcoming season, the 49ers are also working on an extension.

“I have a great situation with the 49ers, and I am excited about continuing the progress we made on offense last season,” said Turner. “John York and Mike Nolan were instrumental in lending their support to me through the interview process in Dallas. That reassures me how well our structure and leadership is here in San Francisco.”

The announcement was welcomed news to one of the 49ers youngest stars. Under Turner’s system, Frank Gore rushed for a franchise record and earned a trip to the Pro Bowl.

“Coach Norv means a lot to me,” said Gore. “When he first came in, he told me watching my first year that I reminded him of Emmitt Smith as a young back and that if I just believed in the system he brought to the 49ers offense that I’d have a successful season. That’s what I did and it turned out to be a great year for me, and I am looking forward to what we can accomplish in year two of his system.”

Apr 25, 2002
Yeah he helped Alex progress quite a bit. But since Frank Gore emerged as such a good RB he's let the running game be the key to the offense (which is Turner's style, I know) so Alex hasn't gained as much passing experience.. He's not relied upon as the man to lead the offense the way many other QBs are. But that's also eased a lot of pressure for Alex..

I like Norv Turner's style because of Frank Gore. If we still had Barlow instead of Gore I don't think Norv's style would be very effective. You need a good running game to set up the pass in his system, so as long as Gore is in there, the whole offense will thrive under Turner.

But I seem to remember a lot of raider fans on here criticising the Niners for hiring Norv after he was fired by Al Davis.. I said it then, and I'll say it now.. Norv Turner is a great Offensive Coordinator, but a horrible Head Coach.

Mar 12, 2005
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
As it turns out, we are in jeopardy of losing him once again. This time to San Diego.
If Spanos, the Owner of the chargers agrees to sign him along with the GM, I will personally go to Spanos house, which is in Stockton, and punch him in the fact, haha I'd die before I got a chance.

Dec 9, 2005
Damn, I hope we don't let him go back to Dago. But that is a hard offer to refuse...shit...who wouldn't want to take over a team that was 14-2 last year, and has all that fuckin talent ?