$Truth about the biz...ONLY THE WISE SURVIVE (IndependentInsider.com)$

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 26, 2005
Heres another article from my upcoming industry website, i hope itll shed some light on the current climate of the music biz.

THE TRUTH ABOUT THE GAME –only the wise survive

So here we are at the proverbial fork in the road. One way takes you down the path of a music business industry that has existed for most of the 20th century, backed by powerful mediums such as radio and television. This is where the dreams of being famous and wealthy reside at despite the fact that the vast majority of participants will never get a touch of neither and most that do only get to enjoy it for a fleeting moment. The other way takes you into 21st century where circuit lines crisscross the globe carrying binary code in the form of data packets enabling the earth’s inhabitants to communicate with one another directly sharing the universe’s most valuable commodity. (which is information) This is the home of the new music industry players that view music as content deliverables. Which road will you take is the question. Standing at the fork is NOT an option because you can’t progress without movement. You must choose, and you must choose wisely...even by not choosing you have made a choice. Oh by the way I go by the name of Danny Dee and because so many have sold out the culture by purposely hiding the real, IndependentInsider.com feels it’s only right if I give ya’ll the truth about the game. Vamanos, lets go!

Truth be told if you’re interested in becoming a player in the business you were driven mainly by ego and by the fantasy of what the end results can offer you. It’s this same fantasy that allow many to willingly put themselves in “slave mode” in order to make their otherwise hollow lives mean something by masquerading behind the façade called the music industry. While it’s perfectly fine to have this mind set when your in the position of ignorance due to a lack of understanding, what really goes on, because your still on the outskirts, its quite disturbing. On the other hand to see so many continue to fall for the illusion of the game knowing full well they’re getting played like a Nintendo Wii. You can’t play a game of Monopoly and expect to get real dollars out of someone landing on Reading Railroad. If you want real money you have to get into the REAL game, and brace for the impact because nothing great comes out of something easy. Before you expect a million dollar check you should be able to put down on paper the business justification into why you should receive one. If not then your main objective is to put together a plan on how to build that level of value and then execute. When you reach that level then you can move ahead to your next objective.

If you’re in the business of selling music it would serve your best interest to understand your targeted consumer and their wants and needs and incorporate that into your approach. Most professionals in the business (with any sense in their skulls) will agree that the music fan of 1997 is a completely different beast of nature than that of a 2007 fanatic. Back then you had Hot 97, BET, MTV (106KMEL & CMC for all my baydestrians reading this..I see y’all) and that was it. Your main objective back then was to break through one of the gatekeepers and relentlessly pound the masses with your product in hopes of creating a hype which can translate into a couple million albums sold. Fast forward to present day and what you have is the slow disintegration of the mainstream as the “Tower of Babel” effect is in full swing with everybody is off in their own little worlds doing them. (as instructed by Russell Simmons) In other words, it’s becoming very difficult to gather all the masses attention on one particular focus because of the vast array of choices they have to entertain themselves. Put on top of that a lot of those options come at little to no cost, so if your trying to get someone to part with those dollars you better have something of real value or else your in trouble. I’m not paying $120.00 for courtside seats to watch the Lakers if I can do the same thing Kobe can do with the ball. (apply this to the saying...everybody is a rapper)

One of the hardest things to do is replace the fantasy with reality. This is why you still have people investing 7 figures and up on outdated business approaches because the fantasy of hanging with Diddy and L.A. Reid at the red carpet makes for better cocktail conversation than creating new business systems that embrace online technology. Yawn…how boring does that last part of the previous sentence sound right? Do you want perceived coolness or business success? I don’t know too many people that have money to waste and if they do then more power to them.
Until recently the need to understand the underlying factors were not a pre-requisite for victory; all you needed was a hit record, good looks and a powerful entertainment attorney on your side. Nowadays you can have all of the above and still be in the red with no answers to the problem in front of you due to the fact that you neglected the wants and needs of the 21st century consumer that is going through a programming detox.

I feel pity for those looking for a neat box of steps you can follow when there is no longer a “one size fit all bra” you can wear over your purple smoking henny drinking man-boobs. That way of thinking is a wrap, curtains, over. What works for the Shop Boyz doesn’t work for Amy Winehouse (both on the same label). You have to trail your own path to success but that takes patience and courage to stand up even when everybody else is laying down. Radio and TV is definitely important but is it mandatory? Of course not but you still slave yourself to the “old guard” because it’s safe and it’s what you already know. (some don’t even know this system, they just setup myspace pages & rap over other artists tracks) The Internet is where all the action is going down but you’re unwilling to fully embrace it because you’re still waiting for “bossman” to write the steps out for you to follow. Truth is there are no longer any steps to follow because the Internet is about the user and NOT about you. If you can fit your music into someone else experience then you may have a shot but you have to be patient and sharp with your moves. This is assuming you have the hottest material out on the market and not some cookie-cutter mediocre Sloppy Joe because it’s going straight in their desktop’s trash can.

I can’t tell you what to do (not for free at least) but I do hope to make you think about the moves your going to make because I know how important the game is to you. Make no mistake the entertainment business is a multi-billion dollar machine which plays a very important role in distracting the average citizen from the everyday reality we call Real Life. Why worry about the trillion dollar trade deficit and global warming when I can just Party like a Rock Star right? Once in a while real life and entertainment do cross paths (R.I.P. Stack Bundles & Mac Dre), which makes us pause for about 7 business days before we resume our regular routines. Make no mistake this is our meal ticket out of poverty…one of the few options to rise up outside of the assimilation box. The old paradigm was only the strong survive, well now that’s about as current as a Zach Morris cell phone. The new paradigm is only the wise survive. I know that I ONLY do business and help labels/artists taht have thier biz game tight. It’ll serve everyone well to work on self education and personal development. Hold on to your dreams but make sure you take a realistic approach towards making your fantasy come true. Indie label heads and artists need to see who is making the right moves and hang with them, not only that but improve it and up the ante. Now is the best time ever to be independent, if you can’t see it then you better wipe your stunna shades and begin learning and observing the REAL industry.

-
DANIEL “DANNY DEE” AGUAYO
THE INDEPENDENT INSIDER

Jun 24, 2007
u bring up very good discussion topics danny. i seen art ingram from Jrecords at power 106 in la. this past weekend, i told him i was from the bay & he dropped ur name. he said hes gonna be a speaker at ur next summit...when is the next summit?

Mar 20, 2006
good shit, danny Dee, Music is a ever evolving thing, and u have to adapt to it....Check out the Track "EVERYBODY WANTS TO RAP" on our myspace...Keep up the good work..

S.V

Sicc OG
Jan 10, 2006
www.wontstoprecords.com
Well put togethere information. Its many different assumptions people have of the music industry these days. You got am sayin hip hop is dead and things of that nature. The game is very different then it was in the past. The spot light dont shine on one person as easy as it did a little bit back in the Too Short and N.W.A days. Its more easy now to get into the game with all the affordable technology and what not. But 2 the independents that do what they do well success can be obtained if you thinkin reallistically and connect with yo target market like you said. My hole thing is if this is yo dream chase it. Since everybody is a raper these days if its not really they pashion they wont be here tomorow. 2 the lames pleses excuse my spellin dont get on here tryna correct me yall get my point. One problem we got in the bay and on the West Coast and same problem other regions have is we dont support are own shit. Will buy a bag of weed 4 ten dollars witch I dont knock no one 4 doing, I do it 2. But if we rally around a few of the top Bay Area independents and support the music we might come away with us a champ. Until then I still see it as a long time comin. But im the CEO of the Mighty Wont Stop Records and we Wont Stop. I love the Bay with that said yall support me and buy my newest album and the rest of the catolog. $5.99 download right now on my myspace page and watch the videos, put up a few new pictures 2. Peace

On Sale Download now Only $5.99 at www.myspace.com/wontstoprecords

Feb 26, 2005
BayFan4ever said:
u bring up very good discussion topics danny. i seen art ingram from Jrecords at power 106 in la. this past weekend, i told him i was from the bay & he dropped ur name. he said hes gonna be a speaker at ur next summit...when is the next summit?

saturday November 3rd @ the oakland marriot

www.indiemusicsummit.com / / / (site & press relase will be out soon)

Feb 26, 2005
djsincere510 said:
Take your own advise...

Besides that you got some Fact mixed in with alotta Opinion tryna sell some stir fried bullsh*t...

Seen 2.....Maybe 3 aight points....But thats about it....this is mostly Blog Material.
the site is a Blog. the site is yet to launch so i just started postin content on this board. i respect your opinion though

Aug 31, 2006
i think that he raises many valid points. i agree with djsincere that he has alot of opinions but they are fact based so his opinions make hella sense. i wouldnt call them bullshit at atll, overall good post danny, cant wait for ur blog to be up. im not sure if u red this one but it was really good aswell...

danny dee said:
I have gotten tons of positive feedback from my post in the "major vs. Indie" thread, with that being said i decided to leak one of the entries that will be on my new online social network THE INDEPENDENT INSIDER. yes, its a long read and historically the typical siccness.net users dont give 2 shits about actual information or business, so thats why i started this site and began writing these articles. so for those who are interested in the music business....read on!
--------------------------------------------------------

Your cease n desist notices, Internet hack attacks and hater coalitions will not stop us from spitting the real. Were built for this. THE INDEPENDENT INSIDER is not about the website its about the mindset. If you try & destroy this site and well build 10 more tomorrow, feel me? This isnt about music this is about revolution! Information is better than gold and more valuable than that $4.00 a gallon gas our children and homies are overseas fighting a winless war for. If youre hanging around this site looking for some album sale numbers please vacate the premises. Go and scour the message boards, Im sure someone has leaked it by now. The only number you have to remember this week is 23. Thats the percentage sales dropped this week from the same week last year. Yea 400 heads got guillotined over at Warner Music and its only the beginning. Yea 40 heads took it to the throat over at Def Jam but its only the beginning. Yea Amazon threw the big middle finger at the Remaining 3 (no longer the Big 4) as they move another brick off that DRM haunted castle. You cant control what the people want and thats something the Majors will learn the hard way. Give the people what they want or they will take it from you. Tired of the "Nas picked his nose in Time Square yesterday sparking a Hip Hop Needs Etiquette Rally" headlines? Well you're at the right place. Hold on to your underoos cause your boy Danny Dee is about to go in A's fitted first.

The record labels can only survive if they stop criminalizing the young people that want great music in a way that make sense to them. Notice I said record labels NOT the music industry because that’s live and well. The ad money fueled by promo/leaked MP3’s on the Internet is now bigger than the business of selling physical albums. Meanwhile you have this insane notion amongst certain label heads that blasting free unrestricted MP3’s all over the Net will somehow translate into physical sales latter on. Wrong! The kids will load the “exclusive” up on RapidShare, Z share, etc… and share it with everybody and in 2 weeks nobody will give a damn because 98% of all urban music released is of disposable camera material. A couple of photos and then its straight in the trash bin. Your not building a buzz your just feeding a blog/message board owner more content for him/her to draw traffic to their site while the fans take your promo music, load it into their I-Pod’s and never look back. Then you want to come back to the same audience 5 months later talking about buy this album for $15 bucks. Or worse sell it for a dollar online with all kind of compatibility file format restrictions. Man it’s been so long since they ate your promo plate they done forgot about your artist and now you have to spend 2 million on radio payoff to reintroduce them. Terrible business model especially since going platinum will still mean the project will be in the red.

This of course is the result of some executive in the promotional department trying to justify his job position by saying hes Internet savvy fooling the top dogs that still think having 500,000 Myspace friends will translate into anything other than ad money for Myspace lol. Nobody cares about the health of the business only the health of their pockets. All the crying going on is due to the fact that as revenue streams become more diversified it becomes harder for those execs to skim off the top of artists budgets. That]s right its all about stealing money my friends. Theyre willing to chase the last few dollars right off the cliff if it means just one more day of free hotel passes at some fake ass DJ conference or music seminar. Dont get it twisted I]m far from a hater. Get bread by all means but burning down your own house for a slice doesnt make sense. Your stomach is full but now youre homeless.

So what to do? Legalize the Internet. Get paid for everything and keep feeding the kids what they want. You cant approach promotions on the Internet the way you did in the days when street teams and college reps meant something. Thats dead. Open the gateway and let the kids pay a few bucks a month for all the exclusive and promo music they want. Prompt the artists to lay their versus over original production and keep the fire hot. DJ]s stop trying to be superstars and get back to being the official guide to great music. Since there is endless amount of music available the need for filters is greater than ever. Artists, if you flood the marketplace with inferior product your dollars will reflect it because the days of fooling the music fans with marketing gimmicks is just about over. The kids dont want an album; they want a steady diet of hot singles that never stop coming. Why? Cause they have to fill that I Pod up. The process is just as important as the content. If you dont believe me then check the traffic stats of your favorite hip hop music leak/stream sites. Dont get it twisted there will always be a demand for the complete album format but in this day and age where talent development has evaporated only a few artist (for example currently Akon) will be able to ride the old format and make business sense. Most will give you quick flash hits and then vanish. Dont get mad, adapt accordingly. The demand for quality music hasnt disappeared its just not organized online properly. If hip hop/R&B is so dead and nobody gives a damn then why do we see such high Alexa rankings for these same hip hop sites? Dont be fooled, the game is not over its just going through a power shift. Make sure your own the right side of the fence.

The story coming out of Amazon announcing they will go forward with selling unrestricted MP3 music files is a sign that the business will keep marching with or without the major labels. Respect for the artform will return to the forefront once the burning is complete and the leeches leave the music hustle for those who have a true passion for it. Funny thing is that true passion is exactly what the fans are missing and until its delivered they wont budge with their dollars. This has left the gate open for the Techies to finish off the plate. If you dont think the Googles and Apples of the world wont get behind some new tech age music business model and put the final nail in the coffin if necessary you better think again. They have the money plus the reach to attract the next Usher please believe it. What will the labels do then? More importantly what will YOU do? If youre working for a label right now you better become a Techie or else your days are numbered. If youre an artist or management you better stop looking for short term fame and build for a long term career based on artistic integrity. Now is the time to take risks because playing it safe will give you all radio spins and zero royalty checks. If however your like me youll lean back, roll some of earths finest and join the late Bob Marley...

-Daniel "Danny Dee" Aguayo
The Independent Insider

Feb 26, 2005
^thanx for re-posting slapsrus.

i encourage everyone to take what they can from these articles. i do take my own advice and i offer my proffesional insight on this topic.

Oct 18, 2006
that was a dope article, Danny... I've noticed that indie rock bands have been quicker to apply today/tomorrow's business model, which is probably one factor in why indie rock sales are up, but rap is down. Another reason for indie rock's gain is bands are touring now more than ever. Radio spins and tv exposure certainly doesn't hurt sales, but they absolutely do not guarantee them, either. Today's consumer, I believe, wants a more personal connection with the artists that they support -- hence the success of myspace, you tube, etc.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I think shows and giggen is the key... But cd's where the bread and butter... I wonder if they'll ever be able to make that type of revenue off any other outlet again

Oct 21, 2006
Great post. I agree more structure is needed with the internet, otherwise Myspace and Youtube will be the only ones getting the money in the end. I think that monthly access thing might work. At least it's worth a shot.

Jun 24, 2007
danny...dont listen to that one dude. he sounds like a bitter cat just nitpicking and looking for something to hate on. he wishes he wrote it or was your in your circle. every1 knows u are dropping knowledge so keep that shit up pimpin