Trade Rumor: Portis to Skins for Champ???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 10, 2002
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1742003

INDIANAPOLIS -- Desperate to land a tailback who could make a major impact in new coach Joe Gibbs' run-oriented offense, the Washington Redskins are in discussions about a blockbuster trade that would bring them one of the NFL's premier young backs.

The proposed deal, which percolated here over the weekend at the annual draft combine sessions, would net the Redskins tailback Clinton Portis, who rushed for over 1,500 yards in each of his first two seasons with the Denver Broncos. In return for Portis, 22, Denver would receive Redskins four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey and perhaps one of Washington's choices in the 2004 draft.

In a Sunday column, The Denver Post first posed such a trade, but the deal is more than just a fantasy football-type suggestion. Officials from both teams, and agents for the two high-profile veterans, worked arduously over the weekend to nudge the swap much closer to reality.

One point of contention: In addition to Bailey, the Broncos are asking for Washington's second-round choice in this year's draft. At this point, at least, the Redskins are reluctant to part with that selection but that hesitancy could change at any time.

Said one source who is intimately involved in the delicate negotiations late Sunday night: "You definitely need to stay close on this one. There's a whole lot going on. There are a few sticking points but, if you asked me will it get done, I'd tell you, yeah, I think so."

Two player agents representing running backs who will become unrestricted free agents next month separately told ESPN.com they approached Washington officials over the weekend to make a pitch for their clients. Both agents assumed that, with the Redskins in need of a back to bolster the power running game Gibbs prefers, they might be able to fuel some interest in their clients.

Both were apprised by Washington officials that the Redskins were on the verge of a blockbuster transaction that would bring the team a premier tailback. "One of their top officials basically told me that, while my guy is a good player, they had something else going at tailback and that it was huge," said one of the agents.

In his first meeting with quarterback Mark Brunell, who will officially be acquired by the Redskins via trade on March 3, when the league's trade moratorium is lifted, Gibbs told the veteran that Washington would definitely add a big-time running back before the start of summer training camp. The Gibbs-designed offense dictates a hard inside runner and has succeeded in the past with players of lesser talent than Portis possesses. The slashing Portis, though, would be a terrific fit for the Redskins, league coaches agreed here.

Should the deal be consummated -- and, despite some hurdles, several league and team sources acknowledged they expect it to happen -- it could not be officially announced until March 3 as well. Such a trade would dramatically reshape the Washington offense from what it was during the two-year tenure of former coach Steve Spurrier.

The trade would certainly permit each of the teams to fill a need.

The Broncos have been seeking a true "shut-down" cornerback for years and Bailey, just 25 years of age and regarded as one of the NFL's premier cover players, clearly fits that description. From the Washington standpoint, there are no veteran tailbacks currently on the roster who can handle the workhorse role Gibbs needs to fill.

A second-round choice in the 2002 draft, Portis took over the starting job as a rookie, ran for 1,508 yards and 15 touchdowns, and the former University of Miami star was named the league's rookie of the year. He followed up that freshman performance in 2003 by rushing for 1,591 yards and 14 touchdowns. Denver officials were initially reluctant to part with Portis but feel they can compensate for his departure.

The Broncos staff was impressed with a pair of 2003 rookies, Quentin Griffin and Ahmaad Galloway, and Denver has historically been able to plug in young runners and have immediate success with them. Plus the Broncos understand that to add a player of Bailey's stature, they must reciprocate with a big-time performer.

The proposed trade goes beyond just football needs, however, and extends out to some contractual considerations.

As a rookie, Portis signed a four-year contract that included a $1.29 million signing bonus but only minimum annual base salaries. His scheduled base salaries for the last two years of the deal are $380,000 in 2004 and $455,000 for 2005. At the Pro Bowl two weeks ago, Portis suggested he might boycott training camp unless his contract was upgraded and his comments did not sit well with Broncos management.

The Redskins two weeks ago determined they could not meet Bailey's contract demands and granted the five-year veteran and former first-round draft choice permission to speak with other teams about a possible trade. Since then, the Redskins have designated Bailey a "franchise" player, the equivalent of making him a one-year qualifying offer worth $6.801 million.

Obviously, for a trade to be consummated, Bailey, ostensibly a limited free agent, would have to sign a new contract. And the Redskins certainly will not acquire Portis without first addressing his contractual grievances. Agents for both players have been working with the Redskins and Broncos on new contracts for their clients.

In other Broncos news, running back Mike Anderson has reportedly requested his release after the team sugggested cutting his salary.

According to the Rocky Mountain News, Denver wants to cut Anderson's 2004 salary from $1.76 million to the veteran minimum, $535,000, plus incentives.

David Canter, Anderson's agent, told the paper that his client would prefer to become a free agent than accept a significant pay cut.

Anderson, the 2000 NFL Rookie of the Year, had five touchdowns last year, with 257 rushing yards and 53 receiving yards.

Apr 25, 2002
"it was nice knowing you broncos..."

we already can shut down Preist, now you also wouldnt be able to throw on us............we are DEEP as fuck at runningback, they aint as good as Portis, but they can do the trick

sounds shittier for you then us homie

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Yea its a coo trade either way. My boy luvs Portis and he is also a Denver fan, and he is hurt by this!! lol. That foo said he might have to shed a tear once the trade is official! He was clownin but at the sametime, he is hella mad about it!! Hahahaha!! GOT EM!!!

B

Blackjack 1577

^its Quentin Griffin homie...

Anyway I think this is a good trade for both teams, but I don't like the fact the Skins are giving up a second round pick. I would rather have them trade Champ for Portis straight up, that would be a lot better.

May 10, 2002
Its another rumor floating around that would have the Jets send: LaMont Jordan, Shaun Ellis and Anthony Becht to the Skins for Champ........i personally would do this deal rather than the portis one.....

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
BRONCOS ARE CRAZY. LET ME REPHRASE THAT, SHANNAHAN IS NUTS. I FEEL JUST LIKE CZAR'S HOMEBOY.

THE BRONCOS HAVE DELTHA ONEAL WHO SHANNNAHAN HATES AND THUS TRYIN' TO PERSONALLY DRIVE HIM AWAY(HE ALREADY TRIED TO MAKE HIM A RECEIVER). I FEEL CHAMP BAILEY AIN'T WORTH PORTIS AND SHANNAHAN SHOULD LET DELTHA ONEAL REDEEM HIMSELF.