Tracking

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 15, 2003
Of the SENIC CITY
"The earth is a manuscript, being written and unwritten every day. The Pine Barrens are a geological track, the Mississippi River is a track, and so are the Rocky Mountains. The track/print/geology is made and then slowly worn down or built upon by the forces of natural erosion and gravity. Gravity ultimately wants everything to be at the same level. A track is the earth's reaction to your passing over it. From each passing there are a series of concentric rings than ripple out. The track itself is one such ring, so is the call of the blue jay that scolds you as you walk beneath his tree." from John Stokes '74

Something I've always wanted to learn is tracking. I wanted to put this in the Sergeant Hustles "gut feeling" thread but i think it deserves it own. My Dad is from the northern part of Cali, he lived near crescent city out in the woods. He is only my step dad but i know him like a dad. He knows so much and only teaches me so little. The one thing i wanted to pick up from him was tracking, but he won't ever guide my learning and makes me do it myself. I guess I'll start off trying to track some people with some information on this here, because there isn't much. What are y'all thoughts on this, Do you ever wish you could track bears threw the Forrest or trespassers on your land? Do you ever think in your mind you can actually tune in with nature and see where animals go without no trails? Or if you life depended on it could you return to your camp if you were lost? anyone?