Top teams in each NFL division?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Sorry all, I'm a huge football nut and the off season literally drives me insane. I sit at work all day reading football news from February to August just waiting for something to happen. I figure I might as well start up a little thread to see who thinks the top teams in each division are. I'll give you my picks with a little bit of my criteria for each, and see what you all have to say about it. Lets argue.

AFC

Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets:

I hate to say it, but I have to go with the Patriots on this one. They lost Weis to ND and Crennel to the Browns, and they also will most likely not have Ty Law or Bruschi for the season. Most of my criteria for this is based on the fact that the Bills will underperform with JP Losman starting off his first season. The Dolphins may surprise people with their dual running backs if Brown and Williams both play, but without a QB and a lot of purges o the roster, I dont see them having much of a chance. The Jets will be another wildcard contender, but I wasn't happy with their offseason decisions. Taking a kicker as their first pick, 2nd round draft choice may seem like a good idea after the AFC playoff loss to the Steelers, but I just dont see it coming together like it will for the Pats.

Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Steelers:

The Browns had a chance of stepping it up after revamping the line, as well as having Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow as receivers. But Kellen Winslow was not a souljjaa and now their fucked. Watch for Crennel to make a better team regardless. The Bengals are going to be competitive this season but still dont have the tools to win. The Ravens really stepped it up during the offseason, acquring some legit deep threats (clayton, mason) for their douchebag QB to throw to. If the passing game doesn't open up this year, its their fault. Despite the release of Boulware, look for the D to be sick. Of course, being a biased Steelers fan, I pick my Stillers to win the division. Despite the loss of Burress to free agency, the Steelers should be the same team as last year. Injuries to Burress during the season pretty much proved that we can win without him. The receiver set of Ward, Randle El, and Wilson should cause some match up problems, especially with Heath Miller at TE. Look for the Steelers to run more 2 and 3 tight end sets with 6 TE's currently on the roster. On D, all the starters are back, except for the release of Kimo. The secondary should be the biggest problem with old ass Willie Williams at corner, but look for Colclough, Ike Taylor, and 2nd round pick Bryant McFadden to step it up and contend for that spot.

Texans, Colts, Jags, Titans:

The Texans should be a surprise team this year, so watch for Carr to really step it up and take the reigns at QB. The Jags and Colts both look to be the favorites of this division, with Peyton Manning leading the the divisions top offense. If Colts defense can step it up, look for Superbowl contenders. The Titans have a lot to prove with a complete roster purge, lack of depth at RB, and the loss of Mason and Rolle.

Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers:

This division should be getting pretty nasty. The Broncos and Chargers were both playoff contenders last year. Expect Shanahan to run the fuck out of the ball, especially with some good running backs, and the possible contribution of Maurice Clarette. Lets see if Plummer flicks any fans off again this year. The Chargers return all of their starters from last year, have two sick QBs, and got a souped up defense through the draft. If Brees can spread the ball out on offense, look for this team to make it to the playoffs again, except with a worse record. There's too much competition in the division and repeat expectations for the Chargers to repeat like last year. I dont know much about the Chiefs, but I do know they made some good moves in the offseason and are a team to watch if the D steps it up. The D coordinator got the names he wanted, so his job is on the line if they dont produce. The Raiders are my favorite for this division with the acquistion of Randy Moss. Collins likes to bomb the balls and with Porter and Moss, Lamont Jordan in the backfield, the offense has the makings of something great. The loss of some good CBs in cause for concern, so the defense will really make or break this team.

NFC

Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Redskins

The Cowboys' defense should really make a run for this division. In addition, drafting Bledsoe should be a good short-term move. They need a franchise QB in the draft next year. The Giants offense looks set with Manning, Burress, Shockey, Barber, but Coughlin needs to revamp the defense before this team can really go any further. Look for the Eagles to be just as nasty as last year with a huge draft list, an all Pro Bowl secondary, and the return of most defensive starters. McNabb will get the job done if he doesn't get the wind knocked out of him with 2 minutes left in the game. The return of Buckhalter will help out the offense, as will the drafting of the receiver from Georgia. The loss of Freddie Mitchell shoudln't affect the team much, but if TO doesn't return to the team, there will be some minor problems. Look for them to win the division. As for the Redskins, I have nothing to say. Steve Spurrier is a piece of shit who ought to leave the front office duties to the front office. In a salary cap era, you can't buy a superbowl team, you have to create it through wise decisions. While the skins will be better than last year, Patrick Ramsey is not the QB to get the job done. Trading up 3 spaces to get a mediocre QB is also a very bad idea. Their fucked on the draft next year now, so look for this team to take some time. Joe Gibbs does seem to be learning salary cap football though, so after a year or two this team should be headed in a new direction.

Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings

The Bears have a lot to prove, but drafting a RB definately addressed the teams needs. Unfortunately this team has been consistently god-aweful and I was having a hard time following them. The Lions made a curious decision taking Mike Williams, and they now have 3 sick ass receivers. If Joey Harrington can't get the job done, he is gone. If he can get the job done, look for a very entertaining passing game to watch this season. The Lions should be a better team, but they didn't address any draft needs and they should probably lay off the mescaline. The Packers will be another competitive team with Farve's last season, Javon Walker most likely returning, and Ahman Green. They'll compete with, and lose to, the Vikings. The Vikings, despite trading moss, really made up for it with Williamson, however if they think they're getting the next Randy Moss, they have to be kidding. The offense should be good, especially with Bennett healthy, Mewelde Moore, and Whizzinator Smith in the backfield. The defense also made strides. Serious NFC team right here.

Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Buccaneers:

I dont follow the Saints or Buccaneers all that much, but I do know that the Bucs pretty much bought their superbowl win a few years back after getting all the players they want and making a redicious trade for Gruden. They need to really establish some type of team/philosophy before they make the next steps. I dont know shit about the Saints either, or for that matter the Panthers, who have had some offseason woes. Look for the Falcons to be the same team as last year, except with a nice receiving corps given to Vick. The offense should run the ball, sneak the QB, and if Vick can through it, will be a complete team. If Vick can throw it.

Cardinals, Rams, 49ers, Seahawks:

The NFC Worst made some improvements this year. I see the 49ers making progress but still being a fairly bad team. In the next few years they'll develope with a newly competant coach (too bad the NFL wont let him wear a suit on the sideline) and a possible franchise QB. They had too many needs this offseason to address all of them though. Give them another year to get over the fiascos of the past. The Rams should do slightly better than the 9ers, with the Seahawks finishing in the middle of the pack. Nothing about them stands out to me. I really really like the Cardinals this year. This is my other team, besides the Steelers, so I'll proclaim my bias now. But with Warner throwing to Larry "The Man" Fitzgerald and Anquan "Drew Rosenhause is my agent so I'm holding out like Javon and TO" Boldin, look for the passing game to open up. The passing game will only be successful if the running game is, but the line looks better, and Marcel Shipp needs to prove himself. The Cards also stepped it up on D with Antrel Rolle really helping out a shitty secondary.

So I touched upon some stuff. Agree or disagree with me. I have a lot of free time on my hands from the hours of 8 to 4, and all this coffee I drank seems like crack right now.

May 2, 2002
All i know is that most the people who are on this site are fans of AFC west. IMO, any of the 4 teams could end up first or last.

Apr 25, 2002
Stealth said:
The loss of some good CBs in cause for concern, so the defense will really make or break this team.
Buchanon was the only CB they got rid of and he is trash anyway. Id rather have him gone then on the team and hopefully atliest one of the rookie corners will end up being better. Im not expecting the D to be great but it should be improved.

Apr 25, 2002
"best teams in the NFL = Raiders & Niners" you left out the.......with a chance at the number 1 draft spot for next year. in between the the "teams" an the "nfl"

afc west is gonna be good this year. I wanna see if Brees can do it again, I doubt it. but thats why they play

the chefs should be pretty damn good again, cunningham knows what he is doin on d

raiders are much improved at wr, but rb is yet to be determind.

Denver fixed up its special teams, which should give us a HUGE advantage over last year

3 months to go I cant wait

Dec 30, 2003
www.soundclick.com
I personaly think the seahawks are the best on paper in the NFC west hands down possible the NFL even... but paper dosnt win football games... we need to make some serious moves in the next few seasons... keep bitch boy Shaun Alexander, get rid of that fair weather QB Hasselkracker and pick up a young star... and bring in a new system... i.e. coaching staff... dont get me wrong Holmgren is the man, but he just not the man for seattle... and we deffinatly NEED a #1 reciver kuz we got like 3 #2 WR who just cant step up... plus we have one of the best OL in the NFL and our LB core is solid its lead by Anthony Simons he a fuckin Hawg... like I said we got a stacked team on paper but in the end ironicaly we get crumpled like paper... so that is why I think changes need to be made in the organization... I think this next season will be a make or break year for the hawks kuz we been "chompin at the bit" for to long...

DAMN I CANT WAIT FOR FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!!

May 2, 2002
Me being a Browns fan...I'll stick to the division.

Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Steelers:

The Browns had a chance of stepping it up after revamping the line, as well as having Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow as receivers. But Kellen Winslow was not a souljjaa and now their fucked. Watch for Crennel to make a better team regardless.
The Browns are fucked because Winslow won't being playing? What has he done again? You make it seem as though he was a Pro Bowler or something. Besides...with the combination of Shea and Heiden...they'll be O.K. No Winslow, but they had a pretty good year last year.

Plus, you seem to be forgetting the Browns have a pretty good receiving core...Edwards, Antonio Bryant, Andre Davis and Dennis Northcutt.

The Bengals are going to be competitive this season but still dont have the tools to win.
Yeah...same story every year.

The Ravens really stepped it up during the offseason, acquring some legit deep threats (clayton, mason) for their douchebag QB to throw to. If the passing game doesn't open up this year, its their fault. Despite the release of Boulware, look for the D to be sick.
I agree. The one area the Ravens have been lacking the last few years is their receivers. Now they have a couple weapons...we'll see if Boller steps up this year. I hope not.

Of course, being a biased Steelers fan, I pick my Stillers to win the division. Despite the loss of Burress to free agency, the Steelers should be the same team as last year. Injuries to Burress during the season pretty much proved that we can win without him. The receiver set of Ward, Randle El, and Wilson should cause some match up problems, especially with Heath Miller at TE. Look for the Steelers to run more 2 and 3 tight end sets with 6 TE's currently on the roster. On D, all the starters are back, except for the release of Kimo. The secondary should be the biggest problem with old ass Willie Williams at corner, but look for Colclough, Ike Taylor, and 2nd round pick Bryant McFadden to step it up and contend for that spot.
The Steelers should be tough, but yet again, that secondary doesn't seem to be much improved. We'll see how they hold up.

Staley is looking to be injury prone and Bettis is getting up there in age. Can they last and be effective? If the Steelers don't run, they don't win.

And I'm still not sold on Big Ben just yet.

I see the division like this:

Steelers, my surprise Browns, Ravens and Bungles.

Jan 4, 2003
3VID3NC3 said:
Buchanon was the only CB they got rid of and he is trash anyway. Id rather have him gone then on the team and hopefully atliest one of the rookie corners will end up being better. Im not expecting the D to be great but it should be improved.
Yup.... The lost of P. Buch can't hurt us it will only make us better... Like Tim Brown says about Buch "Phillp giveth..Philly take away" or some shit like that.. He'll have a big play every now and then but will also give A LOT away