too many people on a label!!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

45Yr Old Virgin

Franchise War Veteran
Apr 25, 2002
Cuckanada
yourethemannowdog.ytmnd.com
fuck i posted this in the real BART but no replies at all i guess cause hardly any people in the industry are signed up there. so i have decided to post it here cause i really want to know..

okay, this let me to think about this shit alot...alot of these labels have hella people on their shit and usually when that happens the albums take a century to come out if at all and sometimes they leave the label...i assume it takes alot to release an album cause you need to promote it for a year blah blah blah and have everthing straight and it takes lots of time and money....if you have like 20 fuckers on your label and you're an indie i doubt that's possible to release half the people signed to you....why not just keep your roster small so you can concentrate fully with that artists and shit?? isn't this a reason why no limit got palyed out fast cause they had so many people they really didn't give too much time for each release? anyways, whats your opinion?

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
small rosters arent alwayz good... depending on the work ethic and output of the artist.

Itz different for every label...

I'd say now that we have more depth roster wise... we're movin more patterns and knockin out more material. Trifelen has recorded 9 songz in a week... so yea we think it depends on the label and artist

Jul 7, 2002
I agree with MS......it depends, although I have my own record label and have decide to stick with three rappers for now. Since I am looking to move away from indy and into a deal with a label I feel that I need to focus on every piece of their projects very closely so that they maintain the highest quality. This also takes more money. If I just wanted to stay indy and make les money, I would have proly like 6 guys with good albums made cheaply, and pulling in incmoe from 6 sources. It is all in the eyes of the beholder though. This is just the way I look at it.

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
Yea....it depends on a case by case basis...but here @ Dugout...we're real happy with being small again. We tried to do too much in our 1st year and hurt ourselves as well as a few others...we're just glad that things seem to be getting back together. We can manage this company alot easier now because not so many are depending on us....we can make moves and take more chances. Just some insight to us...

PR.

Apr 26, 2002
www.streetcredmg.com
Yeah I think it depends on the artist you have an how The label operates, example us: I only have a couple artist in devlopment right now getting ready to releasea album those are the ones that need alot of attention & money to their project like when Fully Loaded when they first came out, But now they are on autopilot! I mean 98% of mine are, they now how to put a record together i have spent little time in the studio lately cuz they know what they are doing and they have alot of help because my producers PRODUCE they just dont make beats.(Especially Mr. Peete) They come with concepts and shit see alot of cats are just beat makers, plus we have 3 different studios so its nothing to work on 3 projects at one time, we choose to record alot of shit take our time and pick the best shit to release...

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
real shit chuck... we at KVE are more cost effective these dayz too becuz between myself and Robb we effectively do artwork, do accounting, engineer, record, mix, telemarket, market, promote and A&R to name a few thingz. I think being well rounded is a great thing and itz helping us climb a lil bit better.
good luck to all our peers... we wish you success on your upcoming projects.

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
og MS said:
real shit chuck... we at KVE are more cost effective these dayz too becuz between myself and Robb we effectively do artwork, do accounting, engineer, record, mix, telemarket, market, promote and A&R to name a few thingz. I think being well rounded is a great thing and itz helping us climb a lil bit better.

I like that alot and that is where we are trying to get...we're close but still got a little while. Good job you guys.

PR.

Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
og MS said:
THAT SAYS IT RIGHT THEIR...... I MEAN IF YOU GOT PLUGS ON HELLA SHIT, YOU CAN SPEND MORE MONEY ELSEWHERE OR WORK ON MORE PROJECTS AT ONE TIME... MY LABEL ITSELF IS QUITE SMAL FOR A FEW REASONS THO....

1. I AINT TRYIN TO SIGN EVERYBODY I KNOW AND THEIR FRIEND..... NOW I SEE ALOT OF PEOPLE JUST BE SIGNING WITH WHOEVER SO THEY CAN REP A LABEL AND FEEL SPECIAL.... THEN IN 6 MONTHS THEY GOT 1 SONG DONE, THEY GET MAD AT THE LABEL OR JUMP SHIP.... I RATHER NOT WORK THAT WAY...

2. I RATHER DEVELOPE MY ARTIST INSTEAD OF JUST THROWING THEM TO THE WOLVES, CUZZ IF YOUR 1ST ALBUM IS WEAK, ITS HARD TO RECOVER FROM THAT, AND I WOULD HATE TO HAVE ONE OF MY HOMIES OR LABEL MATES , OR MY LABEL TAKE A BAD RAP CUZZ WE RUSHED SOMETHIN.... I WANT TO TAKE MY TIME AND CONCENTRATE ON ONE PERSON OR ARTIST, OR ALBUM AND MAKE SHIT HAPPEN FOR THAT, AND AT THE SAME TIME PROMOTE THE NEXT THING COMIN....

3. LIKE CHUCK AND MS SAID.... I CAN PRODUCE, AND NOT JUST MAKE A BEAT, BUT MAKE THE RAPPER INTO AN ARTIST... IF IM SPITTIN SOMETHIN, IT GETS LAID DOWN RIGHT, OR NOT AT ALL, AND THATS HOW I LIKE MY FOLX TO BE AS WELL..... MOST "BEAT MAKERS" JUST MAKE THEIR BEATS SOUND GOOD, BUT DONT REALIZE THE ARTIST IS A PIECE OF THEIR BEAT..... AND WHEN YOU GOT YOUR OWN LABEL, STUDIO, AND GRAFIX, YOU AINT SPENDIN HELLA MONEY, INSTEAD IT GOES TOWARDS PROMOTING AND ETC... PLUS SHIT CAN BE RUN THE WAY YOU WANT AND YOU AINT GOT HELLA HEADS TELLIN YOU HOW THEY WANT SHIT!!!