to anyone who knows a lot about Camaro's..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
im tryna get my hands on either a '90 I-RocZ or a '91 Z28. if it says rebuilt engine in the ad's is that something to worry about? also, how many miles until maro's are done? are they a lotta problems?

May 1, 2002
www.oftendrunk.com
rebuilt engine means that they replaced the majority (if not all) of the major parts of the engine so that its literally new and performs like a new engine should.

as far as how many miles till they are done, its all on how its driven. this applies to any car too. i had a friend who had a '90 z-28 with almost 200,000 miles. the more you take care of your car, the longer it will live.

im not a huge camaro guy, so i cant tell you if iroc's in specific had defects or problems, but you can always check websites.

peace.

May 11, 2002
Yah pretty much what Jefe said. Find out how many miles are on the thing. If it says rebuilt engine the thing should be running pretty strong, but find out what he replaced. Should be somethin like water pump, wire, plugs things like that. Also take it on a test drive and listen for sounds when you accelerate, turn, and brake. If you go with the Z28 and it has T tops check them, they are notorious for leaking if not taken care of. Keep in mind that these are "sports cars" so most of them have been driven like that. If the person is a 1st or 2nd owner of the car then it should be coo, but if the person is like the 4th or 5th I would be very very careful.

Go to the website www.camaroz28.com. You have to register but the site is great for car info. When you do go there post in the 3rd Gen thread. Im pretty sure both of those are 3rd gens.

Aug 16, 2002
iF YOU GET A IROCC MAKE SURE ITS FROM AN OLDER PERSON OR HAS ALWAYZ BEEN ADULT DRIVEN! CAUSE MY FOLKZ HAD A IROCC ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND HE DROVE THAT BEAST LIKE A MADMAN AND SNAPPED HIS AXEL TWICE AND BURNED 2 CLUTCHES THEN HW FLIPPED IT TO SOME YOUNGSTA AND WITHIN 2 WEEKS THE FUCCIN HEAD GASKET BLEW AND CRACCED THE HEADS SO MY ADVICE DONT BUY A CAR FROM A YOUNGSTER WHO HAS MODIFIED THE CAR CAUSE 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG OR ABOUT TO GO WRONG!

GOTTI

May 7, 2002
this is off topic, but my camro been trippin lately. when i start it up, with it being on Park, and my foot off the gas pedal, the rpm meter goes up and down and the engines revs a little bit every once in a while..when i drive it, everything seems to be fine though. just that when i start it up once in a while it wil rev and rpm meter goes up and down. what could that be?

Aug 16, 2002
You need a tune up bro my stang was doing that same shit a couple weeks ago! the rpms go up and down and the idle sounds really bad huh?? I took my stang to the shop and they said it was bad plugs and they had to adjust my timing!

@TIM C, It cost him around 1000 buccs but thats cause he got a 9 bolt rear end with Posi traction and 3.90 gears! you could find one alot cheaper used on the net somewere! What are you lookin to get a sticc or auto his was a sticc and drove that beast like a fuccin mad man, i prefer the auto blunt in left hand wheel in right hand and still smashin ya know? but good lucc findin a Iroc bro those are fuccin hot!

GOTTI

Apr 25, 2002
Rican Gotti said:
i prefer the auto blunt in left hand wheel in right hand and still smashin ya know?

GOTTI

^^same as you. im a weed smoker, need an automatic

a. cuz i dont know how to drive manual
b. becuase i dotn wanna worry about shifting if im high.

yea, theres also a clean lookin '91 Z28 I just came up on. sup wit them? they fast?

May 11, 2002
Depends on what you call fast. It will probably run 13's if its got exhaust, CAI, headers, torque converters, shift kit. Thats pretty quick and you will most likely kill a lot of ricers. However be ready to get revved on a lot, one thing I didnt think would happen when I got my firebird. Manual is fucking easy to learn bro, It took me literaly 10 mins to learn and I was on the streets. Just cause the Z looks clean dont mistake it for running good. Once you can learn the manual you can pimp it better than a auto. I can drink a soda in left hand, have food in the right hand, and talk on the phone at the same time and drive.

Its gonna start raining soon so be carefull bro, I got sideways going 15 mph in my ride.

Aug 16, 2002
@sneak- I am talkin about an Irocc bro those are hot as fucc bone stocc they 13's or lower! with those mods you listed it would be in the low 12's or high 11's! and manuals are coo I had a 93 Gt 5.0 stick and it was fun but in the rain I wrapped that bitch!! auto's I just feel like its more relaxed but i still got power to blow your fuccin doors off if i get on it ya know???

@Tim C- If I were you mayne I would take a mechanic with me to peep every car, I took mine when i got my 99 Gt and he noticed that the whole engine on this ws6 I was gonna get had just been re-built.. other than that I would stay away from high milage! but again good lucc mayne and keep us posted on what you get!

GOTTI

Apr 25, 2002
www.geocities.com
9 bolt posi, damn that must be really rare... but if your car is revving up and idling rough, it could be timing, needs a tune up, bad gas, gas filter, or even a messed up carb (my truck floods out at times, 'cause the carb is fucked) but when buyin' a car, look for any and everything that is wrong with it, and beware of a car that's "too good to be true" a motor should have some dirt on it, but not a hell of a lot, and make sure to check the oil and water levels, you can tell a lot about how the car was cared for by the levels of the fluids, also if you smell the oil and it smells burnt it could be a sign of how worn the inside of the motor is, after I spun a main berring it smelt really strong of a burning smell, also if water is in the oil it means there's a head gasket or head problem... but rebuilt should be done professionally, ask for reciepts and check to see that they machined things... and ask why it was rebuilt... but good luck (not sure if I really helped any)

SOLO

Sicc OG
May 23, 2002
ConnDemned I think Gotti was referring to a Ford 9 inch rearend, which is indeed expensive and can probably handle whatever you throw at it.

Tim C, ain't nothin wrong with an automatic, but you need to make sure it's in OK condition or be ready to have it rebuilt. Also, unless you know some talented people, rebuilding an automatic transmission is not something you can do yourself like an engine. Automatics can catch hell if someone's been smashing the shit outta the car, so be careful. If it's a 4-spd then it has a TH700-R4 which is Chevy's overdrive transmission, more expensive to rebuild than a 3-spd (TH400, TH350) but can be made strong with the right parts.

Gotti got good advice, bring a mechanic or get the car inspected. You asked if these cars are fast. Take it for a test drive and see for yourself. Get on the ground (yes on the ground) and look at the oil pan on the bottom of the motor and see if oil has been leaking and collecting down there, or if any fluids have been blowing back onto the bottom of the suspension, floor, etc. I know IROCs are low so you may have to take a good look. If a motor has been freshly rebuilt it should have new gaskets & a rear main seal and should not leak at all. If gaskets or the rear main seal are leaking, it can be costly repairs. Obviously you want to find out about these things BEFORE you spend your money.

Keep askin us questions cause I love these car threads...