Tim Worrell back with the Giants

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

pfunk

Sicc OG
Jan 29, 2005
SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco Giants have signed right-handed reliever Tim Worrell, who previously pitched for the club from 2001-03, to a two-year contract, club Senior Vice President and General Manager Brian Sabean announced today.

The 13-year veteran, who returns to San Francisco after a two-year hiatus in Philadelphia and Arizona, closed out the 2005 campaign in much the same fashion as the way he pitched in 2003 for the Giants when he saved a career-best 38 games and registered a 2.87 ERA over 76 appearances. In his final 18 outings of last season for the Diamondbacks, Worrell was nearly perfect while going 1-0 with an impressive 0.90 ERA (2er, 20ip) and .147 batting average against (10-for-86).

"We scouted Timmy very heavily last season and his final stretch showed us that he's still capable of pitching the way he did when he helped us to a World Series and an NL West championship," said Sabean. "He's certainly a known commodity for us and a solid veteran presence for our bullpen."

The 38-year-old hurler owns a 45-57 lifetime ledger with 65 saves and a 3.89 ERA (412er, 953.1ip) over 655 career games (49 starts). He split the 2005 campaign between Philadelphia and Arizona, combining to post a 1-2 record with one save and a 4.07 ERA (22er, 48.2ip) over 51 appearances.

After originally being acquired from the Chicago Cubs before the 2001 campaign, Worrell worked in 229 games for the Giants from 2001-2003 and logged a 14-11 mark with 38 saves and a 3.27 ERA (83er, 228.2ip). The 6-4, 240-pound pitcher posted a career-low 2.25 ERA in a career-best 80 contests as a setup man for the 2002 National League championship club. However, he's best remembered as the man who filled in for injured closer Robb Nen in 2003 and finished fourth in the National League with 38 saves -- the sixth-highest single season total in franchise history-- to help San Franciscoclaim the National League West championship.

The Pasadena, CA native brings a wealth of post season experience to the San Francisco bullpen, having been unscored upon in 12 of his 17 lifetime playoff appearances. In three different trips to the October stage, he's posted a 3-2 record with a 3.72 ERA (8er, 19.1ip) over 17 appearances with the 1996 Padres and the Giants in both 2002 and 2003.

Originally San Diego's 20th round pick in the 1989 draft, the younger brother of former All-Star closer Todd Worrell has seen big league action with the Padres (1993-97), Tigers (1998), Athletics (1998-99), Orioles (2000), Cubs (2000), Giants (2001-03), Phillies (2004-05) and Diamondbacks (2005). In 606 career relief appearances, he has fashioned a 36-32 mark with 65 saves, a 3.36 ERA (257er, 688.1ip) and a .244 batting average against.

Nov 27, 2005
The Giants seem to be a joke to me. On the other hand, the Athletics know what they're doing.

In other news, Victor Conte drives himself to jail. ahhaahaaha damn.

Feb 12, 2004
YOU GUYS OBVIOUSLY HAVENT LOOKED AT WORRELL HAS DONE OR THE JOKE OF A PARK HE PITCHED IN. HE WAS SOLID FOR SF. THE BULLPEN IS STARTING TO LOOK SOLID. WITH THE ADDITION OF WORRELL I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED TO SEE WALKER TRADED.

7th MUNTER/WORRELL
8th HAWKINS/TASCHNER
9th ACCARDO/BENITEZ

Nov 27, 2005
D-Rose said:
First thing I thought of before I clicked the thread...

"Isnt Tim Worrell 59 years old?"
hahhaa. the senior citizen ball club.

BROWN GUERRERO said:
THE BULLPEN IS STARTING TO LOOK SOLID.
are you serious? weren't the giants like last in pitching last season? what drastic changes have they made so far?

i personally think its a managing/coaching problem. the skipper always leaves his starter in way too long, even the novice baseball fan can notice that. ontop of that, he experiments with pitchers who don't have the experience in must win situations. thats when everything goes downhill.

athletics will definately make the playoffs this season. giants need some help. they need to pickup a few more good men, how about some rookies? how about utilizing some younger players? let me manager that bitch. i can guarantee a winning season off top.

Feb 12, 2004
scientist said:
hahhaa. the senior citizen ball club.

are you serious? weren't the giants like last in pitching last season? what drastic changes have they made so far?

i personally think its a managing/coaching problem. the skipper always leaves his starter in way too long, even the novice baseball fan can notice that. ontop of that, he experiments with pitchers who don't have the experience in must win situations. thats when everything goes downhill.

athletics will definately make the playoffs this season. giants need some help. they need to pickup a few more good men, how about some rookies? how about utilizing some younger players? let me manager that bitch. i can guarantee a winning season off top.

THE GIANTS ARE ALREADY ON THE HUNT. FROM WHATS BEEN REPORTED THEY ARE IN THE LEAD FOR MORRIS AND THERE ARE TONS OF OTHER RUMORS OF THEM TRADING FOR HITTERS LIKE OVERBAY. AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN UTILIZE YOUNGER PLAYERS?? CAIN?? MUNTER?? ACCARDO?? TASCHNER?? HENNESSEY?? I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU CAN BE SURE OF THE A'S MAKING THE PLAYOFFS WHEN THE ANGELS ARE TRYING TO BRING IN MANNY AND MAKE OTHER BIG MOVES.

Sep 12, 2002
plus the A'S MAY TRADE BARRY ZITO. I DONT GET THE A'S . SIGN ESTABIAN LORZIA TO 7 MILLION A YEAR CONTRACT WHEN THEY CAN USE THAT MONEY TO EXTEND ZITO OR GET A HITTER

Apr 25, 2002
herm96 said:
plus the A'S MAY TRADE BARRY ZITO. I DONT GET THE A'S . SIGN ESTABIAN LORZIA TO 7 MILLION A YEAR CONTRACT WHEN THEY CAN USE THAT MONEY TO EXTEND ZITO OR GET A HITTER
The A's aren't going to trade Zito unless they get a real good deal. He's not on the block.

And the money they spent on Loaiza isn't taking away from anything else they're doing.