Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer video commercial for June 13

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
SYLVIA VS. MERCER BOXING BOUT STILL ON

A boxing match between former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia and Ray Mercer set for June 13 at Adrenaline III is still on, promoter Monte Cox told MMAWeekly.com.

Several reports Monday morning said the unusual bout was canceled and former UFC'ers Paul Buentello and Josh Barnett were under consideration as replacements for Mercer.

Cox disputed the news.

"All is still a go," he said. "Tickets are on sale...it's just retarded."

The bout has already encountered its share of controversy. In late March, MMAWeekly.com reported the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board refused to sanction the bout in Atlantic City, forcing Cox to move it to Alabama, where no athletic commission exists.

The event was re-booked for the 17,000-seat Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex, with Cox clients Jeremy Horn and Rich Clementi scheduled to appear on an all-MMA undercard. Ticket sales had been slow, Cox said two weeks ago.

An announcement on the card's line-up is expected late Monday or early Tuesday.

On Wednesday, Sylvia, Horn, Cox will head to China to attend the newly revamped "Art of War" show in Beijing on Saturday, May 23.

Feb 7, 2006
Ray Mercer vs. Tim Sylvia boxing bout briefly canceled, rescheduled as MMA contest (Updated)

The long, strange saga that is Ray Mercer vs. Tim Sylvia has taken another unpredicted turn just two days prior to its scheduled date.

Sylvia announced today on his MySpace that the boxing bout was first canceled, then back on as an MMA contest.

Sylvia and Mercer are scheduled to headline Saturday's "Adrenaline MMA III: Bragging Rights" at the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center in Birmingham, Ala.

While original plans for the Mercer vs. Sylvia bout called for it to be contested under MMA rules on May 30 in New Jersey, Adrenaline MMA promoter Monte Cox decided a boxing match would be more interesting.

"I was doing Tim Sylvia against Ray Mercer as a headliner," Cox told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in February. "First I was doing it in MMA. We changed and thought it would be a lot more interesting in boxing.

"In boxing, who knows who is going to win."

Difficulty with obtaining sanctioning forced Cox to seek out an alternative venue for Saturday night in Alabama – a state without a sanctioning body.

Late Wednesday, the Association of Boxing Commissions stepped in to nix the bout, citing improper supervision, a move that prompted Cox to again revert to mixed martial arts rules and eliminate the involvement of the ABC.

"It's given us quite a surprise," Cox today told MMAjunkie.com. "This thing's been advertised for over two months and everyone pretty much knew what was going on.

"It came as quite a shock when [the ABC] called and basically said this was done incorrectly and you're running an illegal show – and they threatened to have us arrested."

While Mercer's limited involvement in MMA would certainly seem to turn the bout in Sylvia's favor, Cox told The Birmingham News that it was the former boxing champion who insisted the show carry on.

"It was going to be Tim fighting in Ray's world, now it's Ray fighting in Tim's world," Cox said. "Tim has already said if he wins then he'll give Ray the boxing match we were trying to get when the Alabama commission is in place. Then we don't have to worry about any of this garbage."

While Cox and Adrenaline MMA still have one event remaining on a broadcast deal with HDNet, the all-high-definition cable network declined to broadcast the card. While Cox said in February he was anticipating a deal that would allow the event to be viewed in up to 70 million homes, Adrenaline MMA III will not be available for live viewing by anyone outside of the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center.

"We had it where GoFightLive.com was broadcasting it, but we had so many problems that it was just going to be too expensive to stream it," Cox said. "In the end, it's being filmed by HDNet for 'Inside MMA,' and that's it."

The full card for the event now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Ray Mercer (0-0) vs. Tim Sylvia (24-5)
* Rich Clementi (34-14) vs. Sasuke Zapata (17-1)
* Chris Davis (5-0) vs. Jeremy Horn (80-19-5)
* Joe Jordan (44-12-2) vs. Juan Zapata (17-0)
* Keith Johnson (5-2) vs. Nick Rossborough (11-10)
* John Salter (1-0) vs. Roberto Traven (6-3-1)
* Tony Godbold (3-2) vs. Josh Martin (6-2)
* Josh Barnes (4-3) vs. Brad Tidwell (2-1)
* Bryan Goldsby (10-4) vs. Joey Maimberga (5-2)
* Sean Hall (0-0) vs. Tuan Pham (1-0)

AMATEUR CARD

* Brandon Esch (n/a) vs. Justin Trawick (n/a)
* Keith Cunagin (5-3) vs. Robert Rodda (1-0)
* Adrian Miles (5-2) vs. Daniel Ritchie (6-1)
* Ron Mitchell (7-1) vs. Brandon Powell (2-0)
* Barry Clifford (11-5) vs. Matt Smart (5-1)

Feb 7, 2006
SYLVIA OVER 300 POUNDS FOR BOUT WITH MERCER

After months of sorting everything out, Adrenaline MMA III is set to take place on Saturday night in Birmingham, Ala.

After New Jersey, the original location of Adrenaline MMA III, refused to sanction the main event boxing match between former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia and former boxing world champion Ray Mercer, the show's promoter, Monte Cox, moved the event to Alabama. After more issues with sanctioning earlier this week, the bout was changed to a mixed martial arts contest instead.

The fighters weighed in for the event on Friday with Sylvia tipping the scales at 310.6 pounds, much heavier than he's been used to fighting at recently. His opponent, Mercer, weighed in a full 54 pounds lighter at 256.6.

Highlighting the undercard are bouts featuring UFC veterans Jeremy Horn, Rich Clementi, and Roberto Traven.

ADRENALINE MMA III
Official weigh-ins

Amateur bouts:
-Daniel Ritchie 171, Adrian Miles 171
-Barry Clifford 166.4, Matt Smart 170.8
-Keith Cunagin 182, Cory Hamrick 180.4
-Justin Traweek 335, Brandon Esch 302
-Ron Mitchell 226.8, Brandon Powell 236.8

Main card bouts:
-Tuan Pfam 126, Sean Hall 123.6
-Nick Rossborough 184.6, Keith Johnson 182.6
-Josh Barnes 270, Brad Tidwell 330
-Juan Zapata 160, Joe Jordan 170.8
-Bryan Goldsby 135.6, Joey Marimberga 136
-John Salter 184.6, Roberto Traven 183
-Sasuke Zapata 165.6, Rich Clementi 170.2
-Chris Davis 203.2, Jeremy Horn 204.8

Main event:
-Ray Mercer 256.6, Tim Sylvia 310.6

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
This is pretty much bullshit that they're fucking over an old man that needs money. Apparently the commission wouldn't sanction a way over the hill boxer to fight a guy making his boxing debut but they'd sanction a just previously ranked mma fighter to fight a guy making his mma debut? That's as bullshit as it gets.

Mercer agrees to box fat boy only to get the rules changed on him in two fucking days knowing he wouldn't turn it down. Sad that they choose to fuck over a 48 year old man by switching the rules on him in two fucking days. I don't really care about this fight but I'd love nothing more than to see Mercer land one big punch on him over this bullshit.

Feb 7, 2006
Sylvia ‘Extremely Embarrassed,’ Ready to Fight

Former UFC heavyweight champ Tim Sylvia was removed from his Aug. 1 Affliction bout with Paul Buentello after suffering a knockout loss Saturday to Olympic gold medalist and former boxing champion Ray Mercer.

Affliction VP Tom Atencio informed Sylvia that they couldn’t take a chance on the California State Athletic Commission forcing him off the card.

Aside from being “extremely embarrassed,” Sylvia told me Tuesday that he is ready to go but understands the problematic nature of his knockout loss.

“They didn’t want to do all the [press] and then have me show up and the athletic commission say, ‘No, he isn’t fighting,’” Sylvia said. “I understand it, but I am ready to fight.”

There have been rumblings that the upcoming Affliction event could be the promotion’s last. Sylvia seemed hopeful that would not be the case.

“I have a good contract with them,” said Sylvia in regards to his financial agreement with Affliction. “I hope this isn’t it.”

Sylvia also claimed he was, and is, in great shape and is ready to go as soon as possible. He mentioned Japan as a possibility, saying, “That is a place I have always wanted to fight.”