Thoughts on the move

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

shep

Sicc OG
Oct 2, 2002
My thoughts on the move to LA.

As you all know, Tech and Strange Music recently moved to LA. Is this a good thing? I say in the long run it is a great thing. KC is not known for getting exposure for their artists, but was moving at this time the right decision?

Tech is starting to blow up. He is getting airplay and even video play across the country. The question is, should the label have moved to a place where the standard of living is much higher, the rent of your offices is most likely outrageous (it's the fucking CNN building). Should it be spending all this money on the relocation, or should it invest this money in heavy promotion, a good video (imma tell was decent, but not as good as it could have been) to make sure that tech and strange get the final push into the mainstream?

I think they should have waited it out in the KC a little longer, they would still get airplay for "here comes..." and they could have invested the money used for the move in a really good video for the song, and even paid to get video play on the stations.

Like i said, in the long run, the move to LA is the right thing to do, but not when you are doing well where you are..

just my thoughts.

Sep 26, 2002
well, good question, i really dont know what to say... i have thought about it....

at first I was like "what?" but so far Strange Music has made good decisions in my view, so I'd like to think that they "know what they're doing" and if they do I dont think anyone can stop them from becoming even bigger. I mean Tech wants to be a "superstar" as he said in that interview and if he wants that I think the move is logical. many artist's like being on the level that tech is rigth now and keep on sellin the same amount of records for 10 years (which is fine if you dont have to spend too much money on promotion, videos, etc etc) artist's want differnt things and who are we to criticize them for trying to reach their dreams...

i mean look at a band like slayer, never had a big hit, never reached superstardom, been makin records for over 23 years, but all their records are gold and are still sellin and i bet they dont have to worry about feeding they're kids.. just different artists want different things.. tech could have done it in KC and made money but he and strange wanna reach even higher so...

time will tell

Jan 7, 2003
Wow...a decent thread...let's not fuck it up...

I see it like this...the last thing I WANT to see is these folks leaving KC, and I was very upset about it for several reasons...I just felt like they could be doing things here...but I will say that view faded real fast from the view of the office out there...the fact that they are right in the heart of the entertainment...set my mind at ease...living up there expenses are outrageous...but not all of them have left yet...so right now the person that needs to be there the most...already is...and that is TECH.

Kutt, Grant, Kaliko, BG...and anyone I didn't name are still here...they will be going pretty soon...when things are a little more established.

If they are going to be doing the same things they are doing while they are here...they may as well be here where the living expenses are reasonalbe compared to Cali...

Nov 14, 2002
at first I was like "what?" but so far Strange Music has made good decisions in my view, so I'd like to think that they "know what they're doing"
Three words. "Imma", "Tell", and "video".

You sure they "know what they're doing"?

yea please keep this shit positive
the whole board should be more like this
Yeah wow. Three replies and no negativity. We're clearly living in a new utopian society.

::drip drip goes the sarcasm::

Sep 16, 2002
shep said:
My thoughts on the move to LA.

As you all know, Tech and Strange Music recently moved to LA. Is this a good thing? I say in the long run it is a great thing. KC is not known for getting exposure for their artists, but was moving at this time the right decision?

Tech is starting to blow up. He is getting airplay and even video play across the country. The question is, should the label have moved to a place where the standard of living is much higher, the rent of your offices is most likely outrageous (it's the fucking CNN building). Should it be spending all this money on the relocation, or should it invest this money in heavy promotion, a good video (imma tell was decent, but not as good as it could have been) to make sure that tech and strange get the final push into the mainstream?

I think they should have waited it out in the KC a little longer, they would still get airplay for "here comes..." and they could have invested the money used for the move in a really good video for the song, and even paid to get video play on the stations.

Like i said, in the long run, the move to LA is the right thing to do, but not when you are doing well where you are..

just my thoughts.
** I thought the "I'mma Tell" music video was perfect the way it was made cause it shows BET and MTV how much of a big following Tech has and gives non-Tech fans just a SAMPLE of how it feels to see him live!! Also I must say that it was also a great idea to film alot of the concert footage from the ICP tour in Southern Cali (Anahiem's GROVE THEATRE to be exact...I know, I was there!!) cause the juggalos were extremely hyped to see Tech, hell they started moshing and stage diving during the first song!!! I'm really looking forward to the "Here Comes Tecca Ninna" music video cause that song's perfect for a video and for radio cause IT BUMPS....hell, This song should've been in the TRUE CRIME streets of L.A. soundtrack!!! (even though Tech's from K.C., but shit.. it BUMPS!!!)

about the move to L.A.... I think that it's a great idea because all of Travis' business people are here, and he don't have to wait or keep flying down here back and forth, so for that reason, that's cool....and it's great that Tech's here now so he can get more recognized of course. About Kutt,Kaliko and S&S coming down here soon, that would be cool, but that's great that they're still in K.C. while Travis and Tech gets everything established and situated.
-Jugga

yes.... please keep this thread positive!!!

Feb 22, 2004
www.chiacasa.com
I'll be honest that to me it feels like a huge loss for us back here in KC. I know he is doing what he needs to do like was said before. It is just not going to be the same.

ok lol - sounds retarded but thats for real.

shep

Sicc OG
Oct 2, 2002
my point was tech would be blowing up anyhow. why spend the money at this time to move. since he will be blowing up, spend the money on making sure it happens the right way, not to move.

as for the imma tell video, i'm one of the few that like it (as a video, not just cause it was a tech video). If they wanted to show what concerts are like, they should have taken a note from the Encore live video by Jay-Z (yes it did come out after the imma tell video, but that is how a live video should be made)

Nov 14, 2003
the move was a good idea i think for all the reasons that everybody else has said. the imma tell video is great. how else could they have done the video to make it better? there wernt a lot of ways they could have.

about this thread staying positive, i really hope it does. im still waiting for the post that will probably come very soon from a certain individual that will remain un-named to fuck it up

Aug 26, 2002
U my boy Shep , u know this, but some of u cats are killing me.....yall actually sat down and thought about another man's business , something that does not effect u in the slightest bit...............one thing to a fan but some yall are becoming some str8 up male groupies......I promise i will not reply again

yall could be thinking about curing world hunger, aids epademic, but yall thinking aout whether if it was good idea for Tech9 to move to LA,Ca..????

Jan 7, 2003
So, you telling me that you have never thought that a move that Tech has made was either good, or bad....come on...I am sure that you had an opinion about the videos's...wether you think it would benefit them or not...It's all business...

They are just giving an opinion on wether they think it was good for them or not...same thang...

shep

Sicc OG
Oct 2, 2002
jesse james said:
U my boy Shep , u know this, but some of u cats are killing me.....yall actually sat down and thought about another man's business , something that does not effect u in the slightest bit...............one thing to a fan but some yall are becoming some str8 up male groupies......I promise i will not reply again

yall could be thinking about curing world hunger, aids epademic, but yall thinking aout whether if it was good idea for Tech9 to move to LA,Ca..????
considering this is a STRANGE board, i'm sure a post about the aids epidemic, or anything else for that matter, would get deleted

Aug 26, 2002
glad u did not take that the wrong way Shep, but I feel u on that something non strange gets deleted .........
Shep email your addy so i can get u Tantrum Mixtape
@Zero: U get that yet ??????
conversation ?????? weirdos .....