This last week's album leaks reveiws

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
So this last week has been a big week in terms of bands that we are all into, some more than others

Minus The Bear - OMNI

At first i was a bit disappointed, but I went back and really listened to it. I love it. Like, alot. They have always had a 80's-Sting-ish type feel to them, but it REALLY comes out on this album...and I can appreciate that. Backwards Animal is a weird and wonderful break in the album's feel, and I think its about coke...

The Black Keys - Brothers

This is easily in my top 3 bands right now. I love their music. All their albums show an array of genre's while sticking to their core - garage soul that you can only find in the backwoods of Mississippi. This album has some of that, but with a bit more polishing in the mastering. And they took a bit of a different turn in the last portion of the album, with a few of the songs having a mo-town, oldies feel. Its very interesting and they pull it off as if its 1956 in on Motown records.

Circa Survive - Sky Blue Noise

I know this actually leaked the week prior, but im lumping in it with this week. It was anticipated by most, and did no disappoint. I think it took some extra listens, but Anthony once again shines and makes this band what it is. Get Out is vintage CS, while I Felt Free offered something different and refreshing.

Sevendust - Cold Day Memory

Okay, so I may be the only one here that likes them, but they put out an album that feels much more like their Home days, taking it back to their roots. Splinter sets this album off perfectly and it never lets up.

65daysofstatic - We were Exploding Anyway

Hated it.

Feel free to add your own from this week (and part of last)

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
(Last week or so)

Minus The Bear - OMNI

I'm really loving this album a lot. Even Summer Angel has grown on me. I can listen to it all the way from front to back. I think Into the Mirror + Animal Backwards is fucking awesome and they really pulled off something different with that. I don't think they will ever beat Highly Refined Pirates but OMNI has a good chance of becoming my 2nd favorite MtB album over time.

I still have to really sit down with this. I really liked it upon my first couple listens but for some odd reason for how much I anticipated it I find myself wanting to listen to other albums that just came out more. Solid release though for sure.

I've only given it one thorough listen but the boys from Akron, Ohio still have not disappointed me yet with a release (besides the Blakroc thing, I don't count that as one of their albums though). It's on the list to listen to again on Mon/Tues when I'm off.

Beach Fossils - Self Titled

One of the best debuts by a band I've heard in awhile. I have listened to it at least once a day since downloading it. It has that whole sunny lazy day feel to the album without being boring at all. Now I just wish the Seattle weather would start to match the sound of the music. That would be nice.

Woods - At Echo Lake

I didn't think they could top Songs of Shame but they just might have with this album. It's so fucking good. Just download it and give it a listen, what do you have to lose? As of right now it's in contention with The Bitters full length as my album of the year. I know we still have a ways to go though.

Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti - Before Today

Really good album. Has been in heavy rotation just like most of the stuff above. I think he found his sound and should stay with it for at least a few albums but he is an experimental pop artist so we will see. Great mix of 80s AM radio tunes and weirdness.

Magic Lantern - Platoon

Their best release to date. The (mostly) instrumental psychedelic bands new album titled Platoon actually makes me feel like I'm a helicopter machine gunner during 'Nam or something. From the title of the album I'm guessing that's what they were going for though lol.

Harlem - Hippies

I still need to really sit down with this album. I only gave it a listen through once but it was pretty fucking good.

Ghastly City Sleep - Moondrifts

This is the only album I was disappointed in. I really didn't care for it at all on the first listen. It just seemed really stale sounding for the most part and the vocals were pretty awful in my opinion. Like a lot of times they sounded like they didn't even match the music and were just kind of thrown on top of it. I don't know.. I'll give it a few more spins before totally writing it off.

There are still some stuff I haven't gotten around to even listening to yet like the new albums by The National and Good Old War. I feel like something else too but I'm drawing a blank right now.

May 9, 2002

This is the only album I was disappointed in. I really didn't care for it at all on the first listen. It just seemed really stale sounding for the most part and the vocals were pretty awful in my opinion. Like a lot of times they sounded like they didn't even match the music and were just kind of thrown on top of it. I don't know.. I'll give it a few more spins before totally writing it off.

I thought I was the only one! Didnt like it one bit.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
In RJ's defense I've heard High Violet is pretty fucking sweet. I need to check it out soon for sure.

Infinite Arms by Band of Horses was the other one I grabbed but still haven't gotten around to listening to yet.

RJ - Check out that Woods if you haven't. I know you've liked some of their live videos I've posted on here and I think you really dig it.

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
(Last week or so)

There are still some stuff I haven't gotten around to even listening to yet like the new albums by The National and Good Old War. I feel like something else too but I'm drawing a blank right now.

LINK PLEASE!

Sevendust link too please?

May 9, 2002
Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record

Finally had a chance to sit down and listen to this album. This one seems much more structured than their previous albums, which may be good or bad depending on the listener. The do great blending in a few genre's to sound like a completely new one. Chase Scene is a standout track, relying on some heavy synths and a pounding drum track.

Apr 25, 2002
YES - OMNI is the shit. i was a little worried they would go too pop when i heard "My Time" but i was glad they kept their signature style for the most part with a little pop thrown in rather than the opposite. Great album.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
(Last week or so)

Minus The Bear - OMNI

Nothing that really blew my hair back but not a bad listen. I'm kind of bummed the best song is the song I've been listening to for a couple months now (Into the mirror). I was really hoping for at least a couple more gems like that one. To be fair though I haven't completely soaked the album up, I still have a ways to go.

Fucking AWESOME! I'm not even going to begin to compare it to "On Letting Go" though. I listened to it over and over and was liking it more and more a couple weeks ago but then I just kind of stopped for some reason. I'm seeing them in a week and a half so I'll put it back on here in the next few days again I'm sure.

I'm only listening to this for the second time right now but like with the Woods album. This was a lot better then I remember The Black Keys being. There were a few duds on the album but an overall decent listen IMO.

Beach Fossils - Self Titled

I gotta agree with Nutt, this is a really bad ass album. It's definitely got that sunny on the beach kind of sound. Which is bonkers to me since they're from Brooklyn. This is definitely an album that will get played here and there for quite a while.

Woods - At Echo Lake

I wasn't too impressed with their other album I downloaded a while back but I was pleasantly surprised with this album. Just a really good mellow album, I really enjoyed it.

Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti - Before Today

I listened to this when I was borderline blacked out. I'm pretty sure I remember it being bad ass but I'm gonna give it another go tonight.

EDIT: Yep, I remembered correctly this is completely fucking BADASS! I will be listening to this a couple more times tonight.

Magic Lantern - Platoon

Again, another album I need to listen to tonight due to my drunken listening last week.

Damn, I have to agree with Nutt and Jesse. This album was pretty boring the whole way through.

Pygmy Lush - In a Hole

It's pretty damn good, but of course, it's Pygmy Lush. They're pretty much always good. For some reason when I was listening to this album I got that feeling you get when you're driving home from some place far away after a bad ass weekend or something, and it's all cloudy and shit. I don't know kind of weird, like happy, yet a little sad and gloomy as well. Fav track would be "Pals".