THIS IS THE REAL ON BAY AREA ARTISTS..................................

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 20, 2003
ok since we got these topics about who's underground and who's not in the bay area: look at it this way........

the soundscan numbers in the 2 biggest markets (NY & LA) are pretty good indicators of who is selling units nationwide. check the bds in those areas and see what bay area artists are getting spins. i haven't checked recently but i bet E-40 gets more radio play outside of the bay then anyone here. and as for selling units: E-40 and Yukmouth sell the most in NY and LA so i don't know where some of u guys are coming with some of these people. first off brotha lynch aint from the yay. he's definitely underground but to be a king u gotta be well known and consistant. see what most of u don't understand is that us (the bart community) is a very small portion of people who listen to bay area rap/ underground rap. let's just say that 40 and yuk are mainstream. they do have videos that have been played on bet and sell more units outside of the bay than probably anybody. as far as being a bay area underground king here's who u cannot leave off your list because they aren't starving..........................

NICKATINA, MAC DRE (RIP), SAN QUINN, MESSY MARV, FRONTLINE, FEDERATION, TURF TALK, THE TEAM, B-LEGIT AND A FEW OTHERS.

IF U REALLY WANNA SAY UNDERGROUND THEN U WOULD HAVE TO GO WITH NICKATINA CUZ HE GETS ABSOLUTELY NO RADIO PLAY AND CAN STILL EASILY SCAN 20K WHICH IS REMARKABLE. NICKATINA AINT MY FAVORITE BUT HE IS DEFINITELY UNDERGROUND AND HE'S DOING PRETTY WELL FOR HIMSELF. IT WOULD'VE BEEN INTERESTING TO SEE HOW MAC DRE WOULD'VE DONE IF THAT BS DIDN'T HAPPEN ON NOV. 1ST CUZ HE WAS ON A MAJOR COMEBACK AND GAINED A LOT OF ATTENTION FROM THE RADIO, A NEW FANBASE AS WELL AS MAJOR LABELS.

AFTER ALL THAT BEING SAID IF EVERYTHING GOES RIGHT WITH SAN QUINN'S NEW ALBUM. HE SHOULD AND MAY BE UP THERE WITH E-40 ON HIS LEVEL. WHEN U GUYS SEE THE FEATURES THAT HE'S GOT LINED UP AS WELL AS THE PRODUCTION THEN U WILL BE CONVINCED. HE'S GOT ALL THE TOOLS FOR SUCCESS. HE'S GETTING BIGGER SO ALL I COULD SAY IS WAIT FOR "THE ROCK". I'M NOT GIVING ANYTHING AWAY. WHAT IS EVERYONE'S THOUGHTS ON THIS.......??

Jul 20, 2002
If Quinn is going to blow up he needs a major label behind him with an advertising budgetr that goes beyond perfomring at the Mission Rock. He needs to be on 106 and Park, HBO or something big like that. He needs to get the hell out of the Bay as far as sales go and we will all still support his music.

Jan 20, 2003
Sav_Scorcese said:
If Quinn is going to blow up he needs a major label behind him with an advertising budgetr that goes beyond perfomring at the Mission Rock. He needs to be on 106 and Park, HBO or something big like that. He needs to get the hell out of the Bay as far as sales go and we will all still support his music.
agreed! however, there's a lot of shit that goes into signing with a major. it's easier said than done. he's already been with a major and doesn't want to make the same mistake he did last time. i'm just saying that if he does get a major behind him then he will be big cuz "the rock" is going to be flat out stupid!!!

Jul 20, 2002
People make major labels sound like they are so evil when in reality it's all in reading the fine print. If major labels were so bad there wouldn't be so many people clamoring to get signed. Quinn has come a long way and it's my opinion that he's paid his dues on the underground, he needs to be with Def Jam or J Records or something, not Epic, Atlantic or Elektra.

Jan 20, 2003
Sav_Scorcese said:
People make major labels sound like they are so evil when in reality it's all in reading the fine print. If major labels were so bad there wouldn't be so many people clamoring to get signed..
i never blamed the major labels. u need to put a lot of thought into a decision like that. there's no going back when u r under contract. when u r independent u have freedom. quinn has a good head on his shoulders and is moving in the right direction as far as his music goes. he probably works harder than anyone around. it will take a major to put him on top but he needs to get the right deal.

Jul 20, 2002
TheBayIsTheSco said:
i never blamed the major labels. u need to put a lot of thought into a decision like that. there's no going back when u r under contract. when u r independent u have freedom. quinn has a good head on his shoulders and is moving in the right direction as far as his music goes. he probably works harder than anyone around. it will take a major to put him on top but he needs to get the right deal.
That was more of general statement than saying that you were blaming the labels. I meant that alof of us make good music and if a dude can read he can get a good deal. When you're under contract it may be binding but if it's a good contract then there's no complaints.

Nov 18, 2003
Good chop kenny...

Listen to him. It's true, this is just a small portion of the people who listen to rap, even for bay area. Nickatina's so underground even I dont know what the fuck is going on anymore lol, but everyone should be ready for this new wave of talent thats coming through, its already happening. The legonds like he mentioned "NICKATINA, MAC DRE (RIP), SAN QUINN, MESSY MARV, FRONTLINE, FEDERATION, TURF TALK, THE TEAM, B-LEGIT" are the ones that will set the scorre for this movement. And their success will bring others' successes as well.

By the way, yall dont even know about that quinn cd.. its gonna be fire like you've never heard, if it hasen't happened before it comes out then that cd will be the one to break it open for the bay, or at least has the best chance. for real.

Nov 3, 2004
Sav_Scorcese said:
People make major labels sound like they are so evil when in reality it's all in reading the fine print. If major labels were so bad there wouldn't be so many people clamoring to get signed. Quinn has come a long way and it's my opinion that he's paid his dues on the underground, he needs to be with Def Jam or J Records or something, not Epic, Atlantic or Elektra.
i noticed the posters on your post, and reconized my boy boogie.....damn !!
i aint talked to boogie since like 99, before our dog lens wedding......
if u see him tell him his boy Mitch T said whats up ....i used to bring the karioke machine and some 40's to college park in like 1991 and we would get our freestle on... do me a favor let brian know i said whats up...thanks

Jan 20, 2003
i was just trying to clear up the whole underground/mainstream thing and let people know the real. right now selling 10k is a good goal in the bay as far as the independent scene goes. all those guys i mentioned above have or will reach it. there's others too that i failed to mention like guce & killa tay, EA-SKI will and maybe a couple others. i just feel that quinn has too much heat lined up to not rise to the top, that's all.

if u wanna talk about who's the next to blow up OUT HERE in the bay. u never know. a year and a half ago no one would've mentioned those last four albums to come out (the team, fed, frontline, and turf talk). u don't know who's that next talent. there's some names that people know but forget about that have the talent. a couple that come to my head are balance, mistah fab, and sky balla (listen to mobb report). there might be somebody on here, we'll have to see. bottom line: if u don't have that new production then u aint gonna do it. expand yourself as an artist, don't make songs about how many niggaz u killed and all the yola u r pushing everytime. be diverse as an artist: make some shit that will appeal to more than the hood. make some shit for the ladies, the clubs, the streets, maybe even people that aren't big rap fans (nickatina grabbed that audience). just make a well rounded album.

Jan 20, 2003
he might sell 1000 units but that will probably change not that he is with bme (lil jon's label). yuk actually sold more in NY with godzilla than e-40 did with breakin news last i checked. another artist that i forgot to mention that sells units is keak. keak sold over 20k with copium.