"This Is Me" album Review @ BayUndaground.com

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 12, 2002
www.MSMOfficial.com
Album got 4 out of 5 stars....not bad....dude compared me to G Macc....that was interesting....checc it out if you get a minute folkx.....

http://bayundaground.com/index.php?do=reviewSingle&idReview=986

The hereby review is sort of a precedent for the website, an exception from a hitherto rule that we'll slowly change. PoeticCc The Prophet represents Oklahoma City and Norman (also located in the state of Oklahoma), yet we so far focused almost solely on the central or northern California rap scene. PTP has been active in the local underground for some time now. He debuted back in 2005 with the solo entitled "Death Before Dishonor" and a year later came out with "The Bastard In Blacc". What is more, he recorded a duo collaboration "K.O.M.B.A.T." with a fellow OKC artist Ninjaface in 2008. And finally he provided a free-for-download mixtape "Tha Mad Rapper" in 2009, meant to promote the upcoming, currently reviewed third full-length solo that hit the streets in March 2010.

So far I wasn't familiar at all with PoeticCc's recordings, but he quickly let himself be known as an artist showcasing unusual style. He can be recognized by an adult, deep voice and completely non-standard, rapid yet clear flow. In this particular matter he reminds me of Sacramento's G-Macc, however on the contrary to him PTP doesn't have any problems with smoothly following each and every beat or rhythm, so-called melodiousness. You should also note that even though he comes from Oklahoma (south), you won't hear any distinct accent or musical themes typical to such regions as Texas or Louisiana. "This Is Me" - as the title suggests - is a personal solo, where the host tells a couple of sorrowful stories. He talks about unsuccessful relationships and cheating ("Heard Her Say"), anger ("Boiling Point"), disappointment with the contemporary mainstream hip-hop ("Wanna Battle?"), contradictory feelings tearing people ("Angels & Demons"), he disses his father whom he's never really met ("Letter 2 My Father") and more. The currently reviewed album has definitely a lot to offer when it comes to lyrical content, as in fact every single track has a certain theme and you surely won't have an impression that you're getting the same old pulp, re-stirred for the hundredth time. It is also important to mention that PoeticCc really polished his bars on the word level and provided a solid dose of noteworthy, original rhymes (inevitable, incredible, let it go, perpetual), often spat in a fast-paced manner. You can't forget about the invited guests either, as they rose to the occasion and brought equally great verses. I was particularly impressed by Lyrical Dre (appeared on 4 tracks), who - just like the host himself - surprises with a smooth flow as well as a wide set of non-trivial rhymes.

I wrote before that there are numerous personal songs out here. That's when you'll mostly hear calm or hard-hitting, slow music that tends to feature ear-catching instrumental samples - "This Is My Life", "Inside Out" or a great piano on "Angels & Demons". The overall production is basically of high quality and it is mainly directed to fans of ambitious recordings that have nothing in common with a party or any other type of entertainment. Yes, "This Is Me" is generally deprived of any life joy, it won't put you in a positive mood, rather incline you to think and bob your head steadily. Significant number of beats were handled by PoeticCc himself (6 under his belt), but also by Jay Savvola (3) as well as Budd26, C.L. McCoy and Ovwarrior (2 each). I'd also like give big props to Okie who's responsible for an amazing Krayzie Bone-like hook on "You A Lie" - this cat has a major talent! I wasn't necessarily pleased with M.T.G.'s performance on "Catch That Fade". Even though he's a savage when it comes to astounding rhymes, he tends to miss a rhythm a couple of times. Among few glitches you will also find a bit silent recording. Don't take me wrong, it's not really that serious, however I sometimes have an impression that certain nice sounds were not emphasized the way they should have been. The hereby project is good enough it lets me point fingers at tracks that I would normally have nothing against. In such case I will mention "Wanna Battle?" as well as "Keep It Real" that in my opinion don't feature the same amount of charisma and catchy phrases as the remaining ones. I highly encourage you to get familiar with this cd, because it is a really solid piece of polished rap. Especially since it can be bought for only $7.99 at CD Baby (or $6.99 for digitals).

It's also good to visit PoeticCc's MySpace page and the official Mid South Musicc website.

PTP, thank you for providing the album for the review.